Set CPU vs UD1 Stock Overclock

c_hale22

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have tried both with multiple kernals and it seems that my phone runs better when I am using Set CPU. I was wondering if it was just me or has anyone else noticed this.

WooYooFoo

Reaction score
My install will only OC to 700 with UD, setcpu will let it go full.

warrior21

Reaction score
My phone seems to run smoother with set cpu also, but it may just be all in my mind.

WooYooFoo

Reaction score
using quick system info and it is showing only being clocked to 700 although in UD I have it set to min and max 1100. tried different settings but no luck. hopefully someone will figure it out so I dont need setcpu anymore.

JasonAsWell

Reaction score
SetCPU + Slayer 1200 = runs smoother, faster, cooler, and better batt life than stock UD.

First time using a Slayher kernel and I am getting amazing batt life from this combo.

Used to be around 100* F during typical use. Now stays around 98.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the difference is really, its just SetCPU allows for profiles based on settings. It could be how you can adjust other settings or not but I believe they both do the same thing, which is alter a file indicating on how the frequency can be adjusted?

I'd have to look at Skull's Thread again, but he had a similar argument when Pete was claiming you don't need SetCPU running BB. That turned out to be a huge can of worms opened up, and Skull summarized by saying SetCPU runs profiles so you can customize it however you wish, while (as here) it doesn't appear that the ROM has any built-in safeguards (there may be but I don't have a copy of the code), such as when the battery level gets low, or the CPU or Battery temp gets too hot.

stabl4life82

Reaction score
I also use the 1200 slayer lv kernel with this rom and I use setcpu and seems to work a lot better....I would like to know what most people put the setting on...like ondemand performance etc...I use ondemand but is that the best for overall performance and battery life too?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've always used ondemand and my phone is always super responsive. i've read that putting it on conservative may preserve some battery life, at the expense of a little (barely noticeable) choppiness in scrolling. i haven't tried it though. had a question about the 1200 kernel though stabl...what kind of battery life are you getting? on the stock kernel i'm getting around 24-26 hours of usage...wondering if i should try the 1200 or if there's any noticeable difference

warrior21

Reaction score
I also use the 1200 slayer lv kernel with this rom and I use setcpu and seems to work a lot better....I would like to know what most people put the setting on...like ondemand performance etc...I use ondemand but is that the best for overall performance and battery life too?
I always used to use on demand but over the last week I switched to performance. There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference battery wise for me using the slayher 1.2ghz kernel

Sent from my Droid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I always used to use on demand but over the last week I switched to performance. There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference battery wise for me using the slayher 1.2ghz kernel

Sent from my Droid

and you're noticing more responsiveness with the performance setting?

Bilgediver

Reaction score
There should be more responsiveness. Performance and Conservative governors are exact opposites with ondemand being right inbetween. Ondemand ramps up and down as you need it, while performance stays on max, but then slowly ramps down one step at a time if you don't need it, but has no problem ramping immediately back up. Conservative does the exact same thing, but staying on the lower end of the spectrum.

I have a feeling that you probably use your phone almost like I do in that if you use higher-processor intensive apps a lot, ondemand and performance are going to behave similarly.

Lately I've been using a conservative governor for daily use, and if I plan on doing any browsing or 3d-game playing I switch to ondemand. I say 3d gaming because lately I've been playing SNES games on SNESOID, and the conservative governor runs just fine with it. I've noticed an increase in battery life overall.

So I'm curious if anyone has made a widget to switch between CPU Governors? I'd love to have a widget on my homescreen that lets me switch back and forth with one click.

stabl4life82

Reaction score
I don't get no where near even 20 hours of use with my phone cause I'm either texting on the internet or facebook. Etc....but I know with the kernel I'm using now it is better than the stock one....I am always doing lots of things on it though so I am not expecting it too last that long

warrior21

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

and you're noticing more responsiveness with the performance setting?
I find that it does run a little smoother set to performance and since it doesn't really affect the battery life I will probably keep it like that