1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

set cpu still bad?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by searayman, Jul 25, 2010.

1. searayman

searayman New Member

I remember awhile ago with the new BB releases we were told not to use set cpu? does this still apply? Cause i am trying to conserve battery life and think underclocking when screen is locked would be a great idea.
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

I used it with v0.4 with no issues. The profile settings in SetCPU are DEF a big help on battery! I thought it was more along the lines of "not needed" rather than "don't use" like ATK but I could be wrong.
  3. voc627

voc627 New Member

It's fine to use, just not needed.
  4. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

it's needed if you want to underclock when the screen is off and throttle down when the temp gets too high.
  5. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

From what I hear, very few have had setCPU problems with BB. I know that on Pete's 2.1 ROMs, my battery life was much better off using SetCPU with than without. I've found that the phone runs smoother on his Froyo ROMs without it, but it could just be my imagination. Try both ways, it can never hurt.
  6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1
    That's what I thought too!
  7. voc627

voc627 New Member

never been concerned with temps tbh....I set mine to 400 min 1.1max and I'm good to go.
  8. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

navigation + pandora + windshield mount = concern ;)
  9. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 New Member

it shouldnt really concern you that much, the battery will fry at around 140 degrees F and the CPU wont go till around 170. so if anything, youd end up needing a new battery.
  10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

You need it to underclock when the screen is off? Doesn't the on-demand feature work when the screen is off? I thought because of the light load it would run at the min 250mhz?
  11. kodiak799

I thought it was higher than 140 for the battery....thought maybe 180 or something.

Live in the desert, frequently out by the pool....was out for a few hours this afternoon and it got up to 145F in the sun. Alive and kicking. I've done this a dozen times, we'll see if it survives the summer...
  12. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 New Member

thats what its intended to do, it jumps back and forth when the phone is either sitting idle with the screen on/and or when it turns off, it jumps up and down according to whatever apps/features you have running
  13. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 New Member

first off, if you are leaving your phone out in direct sun, you dont deserve it to keep running, secondly, ambient air tempature doesnt necessarily reflect the temperature inside of your device, there are many contributing factors...I mean think about it, the human body avg. temperature is 98.6F, and that certainly doesnt rise to 140 along with the ambient air temp ;-)
  14. kodiak799

I'm not leaving my phone in direct sunlight, just using it outside in the desert.

The 145F is the temperature given by battery widget, which I believe is the battery temperature - it's obviously not an ambient temperature.

Says on the battery not to expose to temps above 140 (which is probably an ambient temp), but I'm not taking it into the sauna. They obviously leave a wide margin of error in that warning, and would certainly have to take into account people being outside in the desert or they'd end-up with a host of warranty claims in the SW, or from people who left it in the car a few hours in the summer.

We'll see what happens. My battery is already 7 months old and I haven't observed any noticeable loss in capacity (could just be roms getting better at battery mgmt), but if I have to replace it I can live with that.
  15. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

why risk going through all of that trouble when you could simply install one (1) app?

not sure. i asked pete for a few details, but didn't get a reply. guess he was busy working on 0.5 ;)
  16. kodiak799

Makes sense...but there is a minimal amount of stuff running when the screen is off, so I would think the gain from SetCPU wouldn't be noticeable.
  17. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I would actually say the app is a savior. I can't imagine being overclocked 24/7 first off all my battery tends to suck when its overclocked for a long period of time, and I don't need it overheating. Just use it in moderation is my advice. If u ever download a 1ghz kernel that's low voltage people say it keeps the phone cooler, though it works different for different people. This is coming from a noob btw lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

I tried it without SetCPU for a little bit but went right back.

Its nice to adjust it on the fly ya know? I have 1.20Ghz LV P3 installed right now.

Most days I'm at work , in the car, or at home so I can charge it pretty often and keep it at 1200(along with my settings).

Let's say I go out for the night, who knows where I'm gonna end up? Might not even make it home. In this case I can turn it down to say 800/125mhz since I dont need it at 1200 out at the bar.

Also, I live in South Carolina and hit up the pool very often with my phone. It can get pretty hot out there so having the droid clock down to 550mhz when its over 114F is very helpful.

Another one, if I am out for an extended period of time its nice to have it clock down at 40% and 20% battery to save the life once it gets low.

I mean really, why not use SetCPU?
  19. Hyde895

Hyde895 New Member

I thought it just shuts off if its too hot, happened to me once when I had it @1.1 ghz and on the navi craddle. lol soo when will there be an inter-cooler or fan for the droid :3
  20. kodiak799

My battery will last 3 days in standby, so I don't see what there is for your guys to gain running a profile just to keep it at 250mhz while in standby. Hardly anything is running so the CPU isn't going to be cranked up but probably a few minutes each hour, anyway.

Here's some data for you all (I had very light usage over this period):

13 hours and 20 minutes -I had some 70-80% use of my battery in this period:
    1) Display 62% (on for 8.0 hours)
    2) Voice calls 22% (40 minutes)
    3) cell standby 5% (completely normal)
    4) wi-fi 4% (on when my phone is on, usually 5%)
    5) sweeter home 2% (cpu total 18 minutes!)
    6) phone idle 3%!!!!
    7) android system 2% (cpu total 9 minutes!)

Look at #6...So I used 3%% of my battery while my phone was idle a little over 5 hours (BB 0.4, Chevy ULV 1000). There's virtually NOTHING to gain forcing the CPU to 250 while idle - that 3% equates to about 20 minutes, so what could you save, maybe 10 additional minutes of idle time, or @ an extra 4 minute phone call?

Anyway, someone should do a bit more scientific experiment. I could very well see SetCPU possibly using MORE battery while idle having to run in the background. As for profiles saving you, it would be interesting to see what happens with a 250/400 setting vs. 250/1000 setting since under load the 400 setting will run longer to accomplish the same task (think how wifi is more efficient when using data vs. 3G).
Search tags for this page

set cpu review