set cpu still bad?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by searayman, Jul 25, 2010.

1. searayman

searayman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember awhile ago with the new BB releases we were told not to use set cpu? does this still apply? Cause i am trying to conserve battery life and think underclocking when screen is locked would be a great idea.

2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I used it with v0.4 with no issues. The profile settings in SetCPU are DEF a big help on battery! I thought it was more along the lines of "not needed" rather than "don't use" like ATK but I could be wrong.

3. voc627

voc627 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's fine to use, just not needed.

4. audioman42

audioman42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it's needed if you want to underclock when the screen is off and throttle down when the temp gets too high.

5. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I hear, very few have had setCPU problems with BB. I know that on Pete's 2.1 ROMs, my battery life was much better off using SetCPU with than without. I've found that the phone runs smoother on his Froyo ROMs without it, but it could just be my imagination. Try both ways, it can never hurt.

6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +1
    That's what I thought too!

7. voc627

voc627 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    never been concerned with temps tbh....I set mine to 400 min 1.1max and I'm good to go.

8. audioman42

audioman42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    navigation + pandora + windshield mount = concern ;)

9. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it shouldnt really concern you that much, the battery will fry at around 140 degrees F and the CPU wont go till around 170. so if anything, youd end up needing a new battery.

10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +623
    You need it to underclock when the screen is off? Doesn't the on-demand feature work when the screen is off? I thought because of the light load it would run at the min 250mhz?

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +623

I thought it was higher than 140 for the battery....thought maybe 180 or something.

Live in the desert, frequently out by the pool....was out for a few hours this afternoon and it got up to 145F in the sun. Alive and kicking. I've done this a dozen times, we'll see if it survives the summer...

12. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 Member

Ratings:
    +0

thats what its intended to do, it jumps back and forth when the phone is either sitting idle with the screen on/and or when it turns off, it jumps up and down according to whatever apps/features you have running

13. Raven1r44

Raven1r44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first off, if you are leaving your phone out in direct sun, you dont deserve it to keep running, secondly, ambient air tempature doesnt necessarily reflect the temperature inside of your device, there are many contributing factors...I mean think about it, the human body avg. temperature is 98.6F, and that certainly doesnt rise to 140 along with the ambient air temp ;-)

14. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +623
    I'm not leaving my phone in direct sunlight, just using it outside in the desert.

The 145F is the temperature given by battery widget, which I believe is the battery temperature - it's obviously not an ambient temperature.

Says on the battery not to expose to temps above 140 (which is probably an ambient temp), but I'm not taking it into the sauna. They obviously leave a wide margin of error in that warning, and would certainly have to take into account people being outside in the desert or they'd end-up with a host of warranty claims in the SW, or from people who left it in the car a few hours in the summer.

We'll see what happens. My battery is already 7 months old and I haven't observed any noticeable loss in capacity (could just be roms getting better at battery mgmt), but if I have to replace it I can live with that.

15. audioman42

audioman42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    why risk going through all of that trouble when you could simply install one (1) app?

not sure. i asked pete for a few details, but didn't get a reply. guess he was busy working on 0.5 ;)

Search tags for this page

set cpu review