Seriously Verizon?!? Are you releasing ANY new phones with Keyboards?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like some have said, phones with physical keyboards have their place. They are not being phased out. Its about choice. That's one of Android's biggest pros.

Why would phones with physical keyboards be phased out when everyone doesnt have smart phones? Wouldnt it make sense to have some with physical keyboards just to cover that demographic for new smart phone buyers? How about former Blackberry users? I would think companies would consider them too.

Anyway, yea I'm waiting to see what phone with a keyboard is next for Moto. All the recent phones that have physical keyboards proves there is still a demographic for physical keyboards.

Now, it is possible for them to get phased out at one point. Look at phones with resistive screens. What recent phones still have them? Are there any recent phones with stylus based OS? I do see resistive screens still alive in the Tablet market tho.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Im in this boat too. While I use swype for quick texting, I use the hardware keyboard for emails, editing spreadsheets, and editing code. While I would buy a screen only phone if that is all there is when my contract expires, I would really prefer a hardware keyboard especially as I do more and more work from my phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I despise the physical keyboard on my OG. It's basically a thick piece of worthlessness on my droid like a hunch back.

Honestly, everyone saying they're better at the physical keyboard just hasn't practiced enough with the virtual, I guarantee that using the physical keyboard is a good 20-30% slower than using the virtual keyboard.

I got the OG because I thought I would need the physical keyboard, was terrible on the virtual keyboard for a few days, practiced and now I'm ridiculously fast on it, the physical keyboard can't come close.

You can say it's preference, but in the end, it's that you just haven't gotten used to the virtual keyboard, because it's leaps and bounds ahead of the physical keyboard.

AZ8

Reaction score
I was concerned going with a VKB. Coming from KB's all my life, I was a little leary when I purchased the X. Took a little getting use to....but there is no way Im going back to a KB.

I love Swype....but one thing I can't figure out. Words that repeat the same letter, ie...good, fell, sweet, book...etc, for some reason on Swype, only enters one of the letters, ie, god, fel, swet, bok..etc. Can't figure it out!!!

Otherwise, Im loving the Virtual Keyboard!

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^On Swype, you have to do a loop, circle, whatever you wanna call it on the double letters. Sometimes I go up n down, squiggle on double letters. That works the fastest for me

Figure whats the best, fastest way for you.

Last edited:

AZ8

Reaction score
^On Swype, you have to do a loop, circle, whatever you wanna call it on the double letters. Sometimes I go up n down twice on double letters. That works the fastest for me

Ha Ha! Just tried it and worked flawlesly. Thats pretty slick! Thanks for the tip. dancedroid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^On Swype, you have to do a loop, circle, whatever you wanna call it on the double letters. Sometimes I go up n down, squiggle on double letters. That works the fastest for me

Good tip! I think double letters have been words I usually get errors with and now I know why

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I came from a blackberry and wanted the keyboard. I never ever use it.

I use Swiftkey and so my next phone WONT have a keyboard on it. When I pull it out it literally has dust on it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've used the physical keyboard rarely. To be honest, my old Voyager had a better keyboard. It had a numbers row, rather than having to press "Alt-E" just to get a 3.

chained22

Reaction score
I would buy the Bionic when it comes out only if it has a smooth virtual keyboard like the iphones; lets be realistic it is pretty smooth. Im not say it has to be exactly the same just a lot more polishing on the software.

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
Have a D1. Used to think that the physical keyboard was the shiznit. Now I really don't like it, and it feels like a pain when I have to use it. The thing is, I'm terrible at it's onscreen keyboard too. Perhaps it's time to load up Swype on this thing.

peterjariel

Reaction score
Physical keyboards will never phase out on the android Phones. Why because Android is competing with the Iphone and what doesn't the Iphone have, a physical keyboard. That's why Android devices are doing so well. Because you have choices. I bet you that Android would be nothing right now if it only had 1 device.
They might not be on Verizon but phones with physical keyboards are coming out, just like the Evo swift that just came out and the cliq2 thats coming out. so I dont think physical keyboards are going anywhere.

easymoney

Reaction score
I am just waiting for my upgrade to come around to get ride of the D1. I have my eye on the Droid X.!

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I am thinking a nice qwerty version of the Bionic (D3) may be release by the time all the D1's are set to upgrade.
I kind of remember something about an HTC coming soon with a nice keyboard as well, something like the excellent keyboad on the G2.

666ogre666

Reaction score
I love my D1 keyboard. Couldn't go without one, especially since I have the good version with the rounded keys instead of flat

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App