Seriously Google Voice, you need to leave me alone

qoncept

Reaction score
I've been using Google Voice for years now. I recently switched to Sprint, got a Galaxy S4 and ported my number go GV. Now, all of a sudden, every time I miss a call I get 4 (FOUR!!$(*@$&*) notifications: missed call, GV voicemail notification and TWO text messages.

Why am I getting text messages all of a sudden? GV isn't set to forward texts, which I thought would explain why there was a duplicate. So I have no idea why the first or the second are being sent. Please save me!

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
Bump. Can someone please help me out here? I have no idea why I'm getting these text messages and it's driving me crazy. I missed 2 calls while I was mowing the lawn and had 8 notifications to clear out.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
Bump. Can someone please help me out here? I have no idea why I'm getting these text messages and it's driving me crazy. I missed 2 calls while I was mowing the lawn and had 8 notifications to clear out.

You need to go into Google Voice settings (website online, not on your phone) and change the notification settings. If memory serves you can have it go to text, email or none of the above. Sounds like yours is set to fire off notice to every possible iteration.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
That would make sense, except its not set up to send me any notifications.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using Google Voice for years now. I recently switched to Sprint, got a Galaxy S4 and ported my number go GV. Now, all of a sudden, every time I miss a call I get 4 (FOUR!!$(*@$&*) notifications: missed call, GV voicemail notification and TWO text messages.

Why am I getting text messages all of a sudden? GV isn't set to forward texts, which I thought would explain why there was a duplicate. So I have no idea why the first or the second are being sent. Please save me!

You mean you are getting normal texts, or texts specific to the VM?

I get a notification from the app and an email. Not sure why you would be getting texts about the voicemail. Have you tried turning everything on, and then dealing with it for a day and seeing if anything changes?

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
I get a text that says "You've got a new voicemail from (phone). Transcript: blah blah blah" Twice.

Do you have the new Google Hangouts?
Yeah.. And that makes sense, except I'm not seeing any settings that make it send texts. :(

Last edited:

joemacjr

Reaction score
In the Phones Tab in Google Voice settings on the web, there is an option to "Notify me of new voicemaiks via text'. That may be what is going on.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
In the Phones Tab in Google Voice settings on the web, there is an option to "Notify me of new voicemaiks via text'. That may be what is going on.
Holy cow.. I scoured every settings page over and over again and somehow missed that one every time. I think you've just saved someone's life. Thank you!