1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Serious Speed and Stability Issues with Rooted Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Codiusprie, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

So I have had my Droid since late March, it has been rooted since about mid April. When I first rooted all was well, my phone was like a completely different phone. Things were running faster and smoother than ever before, I tried out different roms, different kernals, and different themes.

I started having problems around the time 2.2 was first leaked and developers started building their roms off of it. At first my phone was just slowing down, it would lock up for a second after I unlocked it every once in a while. I upped my clock speed and things would get better for a little while but my batter life would take a nose dive and eventually it would slow down again.

At this point my phone is sometimes unusable, the redraw time after exiting an application is usually over ten seconds, when I unlock it probably locks up for about five seconds about 50% of the time. The phone overall just feels slow no matter what speed the cpu runs at. I have tried ALL of the major roms with a ton of different kernals. Some of the roms improve the situation for a few days and then go back to crawling and some roms fc everything upon first book making the rom unusable. No matter how I install them it is the same, when I use rom manager I wipe data and cache when i update.zip I always wipe data and cache atleast three times each.

I am looking for solutions. Please try to stay away from "try rom x with kernal x it has worked for me" because I probably have with no luck. Right now I am running Chevy's Simply Stunning v4.6 with his 800mhz ULV kernal, stock theme.

TLDR; Rooted phone in April, things were good until about a month and a half ago. Phone now crawls, redraw time makes it almost unusable. Tried many different roms and kernals with a ton of problems with most. I wipe data and cache every time.
  2. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Well.. I would've suggested using an 800 mhz kernel, since a lot of people seem to preach that does magic to the phone. The only other things I think even worth recommending are
    1. Try a LV kernel or even a MV kernel.
    2. Downgrade to stock, then re-root and jump straight to a 2.2 rom. If that doesn't help, maybe try running a 2.1 rom. If that STILL doesn't help, run it stock, no root, and hope that it still isn't fixed. Then you can take it in and complain about software problems.. Other then that, I've got nothing. Hopefully someone else has some better suggestions.
  3. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I was hoping I wouldn't have to unroot but I can if I need too. I've tried LV and MV kernals but I might throw a few different ones on there over the course of the week and see if that does anything.
  4. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

I'm no expert but have you ever cleaned your SD card. Ive been rooted since January and when I was having speed and stability issues, I also cleared a massive amount of stuff from my SD card. This helped with the speed of my phone.
  5. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

Awesome suggestion, I didn't even think of that. I will now.
  6. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

post back if clearing the SD card helps please.. im interested to see if that affects anything
  7. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

Things seem to be running slightly smoother, I will not know how much it helped for a day or two as usually when I make a change things get better for a bit then get worse.

For Reference I think I cleared off about 3ish gigs worth of trash off my card. I might go back in a clear off some more music I don't listen to and see what that does.

Edit: I've now cleared about five gigs off the card. Took all my music off as I am going to start using my Zune HD when I workout. I now have 1.64 gigs used out of 14.9 gigs total. Most of that is probably taken up by background images.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I had the EXACT same problem. It's not that the phone was slow - it just FELT slow, because the launcher took SOOOO long to redraw when I exited a program. I've had decent luck with the stock launcher, but both ADW and LauncherPRO seemed to both be all about the slow redraws.

Then I installed the RC for CyanogenMod. I know you said you don't want ROM suggestions, but I had the SAME issue and this was the only one I found that worked well. That mod has ADW built-in AS the standard launcher. It also includes the option to force it to remain in memory. Both ADW and LP *claim* to have that option, but CM6 is the first time it's actually worked. I've not seen a single slow redraw since I installed RC1 (and I'm now running a nightly). The nightly now also includes an option to force ANY launcher to remain in memory, though I haven't done a lot of testing with it, yet.

I also second the suggestion of wiping the SD card and /data to give yourself a fresh start, but I think getting the launcher squared away will make a world of difference.
  9. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I had tried CM 6 RC1 a couple of times and I generally had a lot of little things making the experience less than satisfactory. I will def give CM 6 RC2 a shot and will go ahead a clean out my memory card completely and wipe data/cache as usual. What kernal are you using? I really like LP so I will probably attempt to use the keep launcher in memory option but I am not opposed to trying out ADW again.
  10. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Download minfreemanager from the market. Hit menu, presets, select aggressive. Then hit menu, apply and then menu, apply on boot. This should drastically help with home screen redraws as well as giving your phone more responsiveness. I would turn off all animations as well.
    I hope this helps.
  11. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Launcherpro should be set to keep in memory with a medium memory usage settings preset with compressed cache type. Only uncheck clear caches on exit.
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I don't want to say skip RC2...but skip RC2. I've heard it wasn't that great, some people said it was even laggy. Not sure why. The nightly last night is pretty good so far, or stick with RC1. I'm just using the kernel it comes with (800Mhz something), but I clocked it down to 250/600.

I just switched back to LP to test out the new stay-in-memory feature from last night's build of CM. So far I haven't seen any long redraws, but time will tell.
  13. bigchris

bigchris New Member

I seemed to be experiancing the exact same behavior as you. I tried many different roms and many different kernels it always seemed like I had the same experiance as you. Here is what helped me.

I flashed one of the popular roms and before doing anything I actually cleaned everything off the desktop. No widgets or links or anything. I found that my phone ran awesome, actually better then awesome. I one by one added widgets and what I found was that there were some widgets just just crushed the performance of my phone. One of these actually is the SetCPU widget. When I put that on my desktop I virtually killed the performance and I had virtually identical experiances as you.

So long story short I would suggest evaluating the widgets that you are using and see if anything of them seem to have an adverse effect on your phone.

-Chris Brock
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Another great idea. There was awhile there where SetCPU was actually seriously sapping battery life, too.
  15. c0y0te

c0y0te New Member

You need to reformat the SD card if you think it is a problem.

If I were you, I would move all valuable data (including a few good nandroid backups and titanium backups if you use that) off the sd card to a computer and reformat the card from there, then move it back over to the phone.

Boot up and if it still doesn't work well, load only your best nandroids and the update.zips of the rom and kernel of your choice to the SD card.

Boot into recovery and wipe system, boot, data and cache partitions 3 times each. (With Clockwork you can do that from the partition menu. SPRecovery will require ADB commands.)

Now flash your ROM and kernel from the update.zips and boot up. Everything should be nice and fresh.

Immediately make sure you have a functional recovery (I go straight to Rom Manager and flash Clockwork after every new ROM before I ever reboot the phone.)

Manually boot into recovery to make sure it works and if you are satisfied with the performance of the phone go ahead and make a new nandroid backup.

Fwiw, Bugless Beast comes stock with a 800mhz kernel and you don't need SetCPU, so I might try that one first. I like Chevy's kernels the best, though.

Honestly, I personally would just redownload all my apps from the market instead of using titanium backups, just to be totally sure it's all clean (because you probably hadn't reformatted the SD card in a while.) But then, I don't use that many programs and am used to redoing all the system settings so that is really just me being exta-too-careful. I just like to know for sure that when I make new backups after some issue that they are as fesh and clean as I can possibly make them.
  16. Codiusprie

Codiusprie New Member

Man guys, awesome responses. I am slowly trying the suggestions and seeing how stuff works. I will be reporting back with my results since it seems others either have this problem or have had it in the past. So far I have downloaded the memory management program and my phone is running better than it has in ages. I also removed the set cpu widget from my home screen and will be seeing how that affects behavior. I am also going to reformat my memory card now just for kicks. Thanks again for the stellar responses guys, a lot of good info in the thread so far.

Edit: I've also been wondering, when you guys/gals flash a new rom do you load up your system data with Titanium backup? I've read it isn't the best idea. This last time I just loaded up my Apps (no app data) with Titanium. I have a decent amount of apps so loading them back up one at a time would be a pretty big chore. So far my phone is running pretty well.

For the record I have:

Downloaded the memory management tool
    Reformatted my sd card
    turned off all animations
    and are using the keep in memory option in LP
  17. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Try messing with Launcher Pro's memory management. Every once in a while, my phone starts wanting to do redraws going back to homescreen. As soon as I select something else (doesn't seem to matter which memory option I select) the phone goes back to blistering speed. So that's my suggestion...
  18. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Oh also, I have the homescreen caches (in launcher pro) unchecked. Don't know if that makes a difference, but my philosophy is that the more memory I'm asking launcher pro to make use of, the more I'll probably get redraws, and it seems to work.
  19. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

"I one by one added widgets and what I found was that there were some widgets just just crushed the performance of my phone. One of these actually is the SetCPU widget. When I put that on my desktop I virtually killed the performance and I had virtually identical experiances as you.

So long story short I would suggest evaluating the widgets that you are using and see if anything of them seem to have an adverse effect on your phone.

-Chris Brock
    "

As I've never had a lag problem with my droid, I was only reading this thread because I was curious. And then I read Chris' comment about widgets and particularly Setcpu's widget. I had it on my home page and I had the power control widget on my number 3 page. Out of curiosity I deleted the Setcpu widget and move the power control widget to the home page. And all I can say is WOW!! I did not think my phone lagged. But it apparently has been lagging because now it is instantaneous!!

Thanks Chris and the other posters on this thread. :)
  20. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Cache-mate from the Market will also help.