Serious (dialer.apk?) bug in SS 3.5 P1 on my moto droid

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by romiir, May 23, 2011.

1. romiir

romiir New Member

There seems to be an issue with.... dialer.apk?

Soon as I press the call button, my screen goes black and my phone is non-responsive, the only way it wakes up is if I slide my screen open.

If I answer an incoming call, I have to pull my battery to rewake the phone.

This is running SS 5.3 with /data/ from 5.1.

I'm going to either take a nap or make a full backup and then do a full wipe install to test that way.

Either way, more to come, when I get a chance to update this thread.

----

Update: I went ahead and wiped data, cache, and dalvik, after making a proper backup. I then did an install of 5.3 from scratch, and then applied the latest patch. I then booted up the device.

My phone now stays awake longer during a call, but I believe its due to the timeout delay being set higher now, not due to it functioning properly. It seems the phone, once locked, wishes to remain that way, unless I slide my screen open. The power/lock button is ignored. It only happens in the phone dialer AFAIK.

Usually if I answer a call, even sliding the screen open won't wake the phone, I have to pull the battery after my call.

The google account setup wizard was the same way, it forced me to slide my keyboard open to setup my account, although this may be intended.
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. romiir

romiir New Member

Bump, I did update the thread.

Also, when my phone is non responsive it continues to function, ie: I can continue to talk on the phone, and when my voicemail hangs up on me, I can hear the hang up sound, and my phone vibrates, but nothing will wake it up...

I'll also add that I'm familiar with Linux, and I know my way around the terminal, if there is anything I can do to assist in troubleshooting this process, I'm not familier with the android os specifics, but it is linux.. heh

Help! or I'm going to have to do a clean install of 5.1... :(
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Romiir .. wish I could test for ya, but my D1 is no longer activated, so I can't make any calls on it ... anyone else having this issue??
  4. romiir

romiir New Member

I don't know whats causing it, perhaps there is another error in that hotboot code?

It's basicly like my phone stops responding to the power button. I went in and enabled the slide wakeup feature, and I can usually slide wake the phone with this happens, so its a minor inconvenience, though a few times I've pulled the battery. I don't have a bunch of incoming calls to test with, but the device is useable, just very annoying.
  5. ChevyNo1

If it were an error in the code - I would expect that EVERYONE would have this issue - thus far it seems only you do. Don't understand how that is the case though ...
  6. romiir

romiir New Member

It occurs both with and without my /data/, completely clean install does it. I think I already said that, but there it is again.

I'm running the medium voltage 800 mhz kernel from 5.1 release. The current archive of this kernel on your website is corrupt, as I mentioned in the kernel thread Chevy.
  7. ChevyNo1

The corrupt kernels have been fixed - give that a try again.
  8. romiir

romiir New Member

Alright, updated to the latest kernel, issue persists. Although I have new information I just found out. If I connect my phone to a computer, (and probably a wall adapter, but I haven't tried it) it will wake up, and after that its fine again. It only locks and will not unlock during a phone call.
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

This seems to be a common issue right now on GB ROMs for the D1. Pete's GPA15 does this sometimes as well. I believe I read somewhere that CM7 on the D1 does it too. Regardless of kernel.
  10. droidic

droidic New Member

While this is not a problem I'm having other problems I've had that couldn't be fixed by wipe and reflash have all been fixed by flashing oldest nandroid backup u have I still keep at least one froyo than wiping and flash from there.

Simply Stunning 5.3 GB 2.3.4 low voltage 1.2ghz
  11. mb27

mb27 New Member

Have you tried 5.3?
  12. romiir

romiir New Member

err facepalm, late night typing... I meant to say 5.3 not 3.5, haha. It seems I also managed to screw up every other version number I typed here. Been using SS a really REALLY long time.

Edited the other version numbers cept for the thread title.... If someone could edit that, that would be great. This is a 5.3 BUG. I never tried 5.2, but 5.1 worked GREAT for me, though, it seems my pre 5.3 backup of 5.1 got hosed, so I have to rebuild from scratch... It would be really nice if we could get these issues fixed, so I could use my current backup. I may try restoring it and flashing 5.1 over it, it cant hurt right... Ugh...

On the bright side, since I'm also out of a job atm, I have plenty of time to play with my $400 paperweight, err I mean phone.

Also noticed my flash doesn't work now too (in 5.3), when I half press my button, it works, but when I take the picture with 5.3 it barely flashes, like 10% intensity. Resulting in black pictures.

5.3 needs beta tested. Which I don't mind doing, but I DO need to be able to make phone calls...
  13. romiir

romiir New Member

Well I have found a partial workaround, skreebl the app that keeps your screen on at angles also has options to control the screen when using the phone. A combination of skreebl and sliding my phone open to make it wake up the first 2 times during a call can work together to make this a useable device for now.

droidic I don't see how restoring froyo and then putting SS on could fix it, can anyone else confirm it before I waste more time reflashing my NAND for no reason? (or whatever that thing uses)

edit:

I should also note that before skreebl, if I slid the phone back closed, it would shut back off, perhaps this info could be key in debugging chevyno1 ?

edit 2:

and of course when it would shut back off, it would ignore the power button, it could usually be woken up by slideing open a second time, but after that it was off, until it hit a charger, or battery pull.

did this software come from a flip phone device? its as if it thinks it needs to be off when its not open, but only when using the phone application...
  14. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I also had a problem similar to this, when I had an incoming call I couldn't answer it at all and had to wait for it to go to voicemail then call them back, however I had changed the ring delay value so not sure if that was the problem but I also had an issue before that call where I could answer but could not even hit the end button to end the call and had to pull the battery
    Another issue I had was another call I could use the end button but after the call my phone went crazy lol...it was extremely laggy, my back soft button wouldn't work, launcherpro wouldn't show home screen it would only jump to screen previews or any previous app I was on and the power button menu would pop up but I couldn't select anything on it but tapping the power button would still turn the screen off and on...I reinstalled the entire rom and kernel again afterwards but haven't had any calls since...I always wipe everything 3 times or more between rom installs even use the partition menu to wipe boot and system 3 times too
  15. leadfoot1986

leadfoot1986 New Member

My phone has a bad delay when the phone rings, and I have the setting set to where I can press the power button to end the call, because my screen will not come back on for about 15 seconds after the call ends. I'm running v4.96 with the 1.1ulv. When I set my minimum clock to 550, it works like its supposed to, but with the minimum at 550 it eats the battery pretty quick.
  16. lexridge

lexridge New Member

What is the flash limit of the ROM (Hardware FLASHABLE memory) in these phones? Every ROM has a flash limit. Perhaps some of you guys that have been flashing a lot of different ROMS and kernels, are finally reaching the EOL of their memory chips, and sectors have become unwritable/unreadable.

It would certainly explain the random issues. I have only been flashing my phone since March, and knock on wood, so far so good.

Lex
  17. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Is there actually a limit to how many times you can flash roms? I'm sure we couldn't have flashed as many times as a lot of the devs so is there actually a limit...?

phone: og Droid
    rom: simply stunning 5.3
    kernel: Chevy's 1.25Ghz ulv
    average quadrant scores 1650-1750
  18. lexridge

lexridge New Member

Yes, there is. From the WIKI:

Another limitation is that flash memory has a finite number of program-erase cycles (typically written as P/E cycles). Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 P/E cycles, before the wear begins to deteriorate the integrity of the storage.[8] Micron Technology and Sun Microsystems announced an SLC flash memory chip rated for 1,000,000 P/E cycles on December 17, 2008.[9]
    The guaranteed cycle count may apply only to block zero (as is the case with TSOP NAND parts), or to all blocks (as in NOR). This effect is partially offset in some chip firmware or file system drivers by counting the writes and dynamically remapping blocks in order to spread write operations between sectors; this technique is called wear leveling. Another approach is to perform write verification and remapping to spare sectors in case of write failure, a technique called Bad Block Management (BBM). For portable consumer devices, these wearout management techniques typically extend the life of the flash memory beyond the life of the device itself, and some data loss may be acceptable in these applications. For high reliability data storage, however, it is not advisable to use flash memory that would have to go through a large number of programming cycles. This limitation is meaningless for 'read-only' applications such as thin clients and routers, which are only programmed once or at most a few times during their lifetimes.
  19. lexridge

lexridge New Member

However, the above information being said, I have seen them fail at far less than 100,000 times. Probably in the 1-2000 range. Swap is very hard on NAND memory!

Lex
  20. flyinion

flyinion New Member

I wonder how old those wiki figures are. 2 years ago I could easily buy flash memory for my camera that was rated at 200K+ cycles. I would assume that kind of stuff hit phones as well.
Search tags for this page

motorola dialer apk

motorola dialler apk