Separate threads for texts and MMS

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is one heck of an annoying texting problem.

When I send someone a picture via text message, it gets placed in its own thread in the stock text messaging app. It doesn't show up in the existing text only thread with the recipient. Then, whenever the recipient sends me a text message, their message shows up in the picture thread. Whenever I send them a text message, my message shows up in the original text only thread, even if I send it from the picture thread. This results in the conversation being placed in two separate threads, one for my messages, and one for their messages. The only way I've found to have a unified thread after sending a picture is to delete both threads and start all over again with a new one. Clearly this isn't desirable.

Anyone else having this problem?

Opiemitsu

Reaction score
This is one heck of an annoying texting problem.

When I send someone a picture via text message, it gets placed in its own thread in the stock text messaging app. It doesn't show up in the existing text only thread with the recipient. Then, whenever the recipient sends me a text message, their message shows up in the picture thread. Whenever I send them a text message, my message shows up in the original text only thread, even if I send it from the picture thread. This results in the conversation being placed in two separate threads, one for my messages, and one for their messages. The only way I've found to have a unified thread after sending a picture is to delete both threads and start all over again with a new one. Clearly this isn't desirable.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, but I don't think it happens just with MMS messages. I've had it randomly occurring with text only threads. I don't think this is limited to the DROID3 either. I've read of similar issues with other Moto devices. Seems the issue doesn't occur on the "stock" OS app (which we don't have?) or other apps like Handcent but I've not tried it yet.

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes, but I don't think it happens just with MMS messages. I've had it randomly occurring with text only threads. I don't think this is limited to the DROID3 either. I've read of similar issues with other Moto devices. Seems the issue doesn't occur on the "stock" OS app (which we don't have?) or other apps like Handcent but I've not tried it yet.

It only seems to happen with MMS for me so far. I never had the problem on my original Droid (which was clearly because it was stock), Droid X, or Droid Pro. I'm going to try to find an .apk for the stock text messaging app and hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I loaded the stock mms app, and that didn't fix the problem. I also installed Handcent, and that didn't fix the problem either. My texts to people who I have sent a MMS to at some point are appearing in one thread, and then their reponses are appearing in another thread. Very annoying.

Husker2304

Reaction score
Text Problem

Does anyone know a fix to having two threads of text for one text conversation with one person?

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Does anyone know a fix to having two threads of text for one text conversation with one person?

I haven't been able to figure it out. What seems to trigger it for me is sending a MMS. After that, the single conversation splits into two threads, one with the recipient's messages and one with mine.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
This wouldn't really be a fix but maybe a temporary workaround.

Have you tried to delete the sent MMS and see if it stops splitting it into two threads?

matthileo

Reaction score
Have you guys posted about this on the Motorola support forums. This is an issue they need to be aware of.

[sent from my droid]

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This wouldn't really be a fix but maybe a temporary workaround.

Have you tried to delete the sent MMS and see if it stops splitting it into two threads?

That's the first thing I tried, and it doesn't work. Even after deleting it, incoming texts with that recipient show up in one thread, and my outgoing texts show up in another thread.

neilrl79

Reaction score
I had my phone since the 8th and i haven't had this issue at all. I even sent a few pics back and forth with my wife and couldn't get this to happen.

PhantomPhelix

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z2
Hi, I realize it's been a while since this was originally posted but I'm hoping someone has has found a solution for this because this started happening to me a few days ago and the exact same thing triggered it, sending a picture. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it or is this problem still unresolved?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This has happened on my S5 a few times over the past few weeks, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it as it's so random. (No mms messages have been involved) I originally thought it may have something to do with me switching to the YouMail voicemail app since it started occurring around the same time I downloaded that app, but IDK. I've been meaning to delete this app anyways since it doesn't transcribe the voicemails like I thought it was supposed to. (Actually I think that's part of the paid version and I personally don't feel this app is worth the money) Anywho...didn't mean to derail...just pointing out that I recently starting noticing this problem on my Sammy device. :confused:

S5 tap'n

PhantomPhelix

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z2
Was it happening on the default messaging app? I really don't mind switching to a different app if it fixes the problem but from what I can gather from this thread, that once it happens, it seems to happen on all messaging apps. Plus I'd like to keep my message history if possible so I have feeling I backup and restore messages the problem will keep occurring along with the new messaging app. I can't believe it's been this long and no one has found a fix for it yet. This seems like a such a big flaw in an otherwise awesome OS. I'm scared to send an MMS to any of my other contact in case it causes another split thread.