Separate me from my Palm via Droid 3

midwestraised

Reaction score
I've been a PDA user since a Sharp Wizard captured my contacts years ago. I have a Palm Tungsten E2 that's working just fine, but of course has no future. Is there an app (preferably free) that can store all the contacts, notes, lists and protected information saved as part of contacts, in a database? I can get used to using Google Calendar, but would rather synch private information via USB or bluetooth to a program on my computer for backup - and sometimes data entry.

Having gotten past a Backup Assistant issue, I'm getting more confidence with the Droid 3 and find it an amazing - whatever it is. It even takes calls (g).

Am looking for a PDA app (or apps) that avoid the clouds.

Thanks!

jaw4bama

Reaction score
You can add them to your gmail by exporting them to gmail (you will have to research how to do it but you can and people say it is simple). Then when you get an Android phone all you have to do is sign into your gmail account and your done!

Fr33dom

Reaction score
midwestraised;1742215 Am looking for a PDA app (or apps) that avoid the clouds. Thanks![/QUOTE said:
Well the phone is designed around the Internet and Google's services. There are apps that will backup your contacts to the SD card if you are concerned about reliability, but if your concern is over who has access to your contact list, go talk to Google--or just stay with your palm.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
I can add what to my email? I have a Droid 3. addresses, birthdays & comments can be added to addresses. A memo function easily gathers lists & is just as easily updated. I also have a gmail account, although my primary email is through y.....o.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Well the phone is designed around the Internet and Google's services. There are apps that will backup your contacts to the SD card if you are concerned about reliability, but if your concern is over who has access to your contact list, go talk to Google--or just stay with your palm.

Have you ever saved a web address as a contact, and then added notes about the site to that contact?

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Does Google have a database app that can be used on the PC & the Droid?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I am not aware of Google docs supporting a database at the present time.

Well Google Docs is a good solution. Since you can export your contacts to a CSV, you can also import them to a spreadsheet easily enough, or any other database of worth. Google Tables is in beta but I'd bet it would work well enough.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
A table isn't as usable as the organization of a dedicated PIM. Hypothetically, a database would also allow reports or selected views of data. What if I knock "free app" out of the picture, but kept the USB or wireless PC sync security? I did copy some of the memos into Google docs. Thought I'd use one as a shopping list. The phone wouldn't connect to the Internet inside a grocery store. Do you know of any tweaks to the standard settings that might boost the signal?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Google docs just released a data base in beta...maybe last week. It there on one of my accounts (Gmail) but not the work account (which is Google apposition so I'm not surprised.) However, there's no support for Android that I've been able to find.

Sent from my D3, rooted and looking for ROM's

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Honestly Midwest... this is going to be a challenge for you. You've got some significant change to deal with moving from Palm to Android. When you couple that with trying to keep things out of the cloud, you've got your work cut out for you.

So, come on drink the cool-aid brother!

Sent from my D3, rooted and looking for ROM's

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The only tweak I know of to boost the signal is to stand near a window. Have you updated roaming?

Anyway, your approach to your new phone is all wrong IMHO. You should go looking for information that calms your inner security geek if you intend to keep this phone. You just aren't going to ever be happy with it unless you do. And you may want to be prepared to relearn how to keep track of your life with some new apps from the market. As I already indicated, you may just want to go back to continuous use of your palm.

sarreq

Reaction score
for just contacts storage, you can shut off google accounts sync and just save them to your phone. Android contacts can actually hold quite alot of info.
as for traditional PIM functionality, there probably are apps out there in the market, but i don't know what to look for. i use Evernote (which isn't really a PIM), but that uses cloud storage

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Yeah, there is *just* phone storage where you can store contacts on the phone with a myriad of information, however, I know not how to get that onto a PC other than an "export" followed by an "import" when you're done editing on the PC.

OP
M

midwestraised

Reaction score
Thank you (and the others) for the upbeat responses It is definately a leap. I'm looking into an app called dejaoffice that seems to be able to be synched to Palm Desktop on the PC with a paid app. If it works, it can use blue tooth or a USB connection. If it doesn't force me to sync every account, it'll be even better. Can anyone tell me how the cloud is safer than a home secured network?