Senior Citizen Support?

timandjes

Reaction score
Hello-

My name is Tim. I'm probably too old for this technology, but I'm here. I've had an HTC Eris, now a Motorola Citrus. I read some really bad reviews about the Citrus before I got mine, but I must say, I really like it. I've loaded it up with more apps that I can remember how to use and it's doing fine. It does open web pages a little slow, but then again, I'm getting slow myself. I'm up for a renewal with Verizon in a few weeks and I'm thinking about upgrading to some other driod, but I don't really know of anything I'd really gain since the phone I have seems to do everything I've asked it to. Can anyone tell me if there would be any signifigant differences in say a Motorola Droid X, the Droid 2, or the new HTC Thunderbolt, over what I have now? I don't play games, so I mainly just use the phone for microsoft exchange with my work calendar and email, and I like read Kindle books on it, and do some occasional online searches. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Tim

bplewis24

Reaction score
Tim, you are never too old my friend. Same goes for Jes. :)

Let me have a look online at the Motorola Citrus specs and I will respond to your specific questions.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
Tim, after looking at the Moto Citrus specs, I believe the biggest difference between that phone and the ones you listed are the following:

1) Display size: yours is very small at around 3" and low resolution (320x240). The phones you mentioned range from 3.7" to 4.3" with screen sizes of around 854x480. That's over 4 times an increase in screen resolution. This makes a huge difference when doing something like reading a book with the Kindle for Android application.

2) Google Maps/Search. I believe your phone comes with Bing maps & search, is that correct? I'm not sure how good that is, but I prefer to stick with Google myself.

3) Is your phone still running Eclair version 2.1? Go to your phone settings, scroll down to "About Phone" and then look at the "Android Version." Is it 2.1 something or does it say 2.2 something? There is improved Exchange support in version 2.2, which the newer phones would have.

There are also other architectural differences like improved RAM and CPU speed in the newer phones. That would result in the newer phones having improved web-browsing and user-interface responsiveness over your current one.

Lastly, the Thunderbolt is a 4G/LTE capable device, which means that if you are in a 4G area, you would get substantially increased web-browsing (data) speeds on that phone.

In summary, yes there are many advantage of getting a newer phone that even a non-gamer can take full advantage of.

Brandon

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forum. As it has been said, you are never too old.

One thing you mentioned is that you like Kindle and would like to have that option, I can tell you that Kindle is a preinstalled app on the Thunderbolt. I am not too sure what the specs are on the citrus but I can tell you that as of right now the Thunderbolt is the most advanced phone VZW has. So if you are wanting cutting edge (as far as what is avail with VZW) then the TB is the way to go. In addition if you are going to use the Kindle app on the TB the larger screen is a plus as well.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello-

My name is Tim. I'm probably too old for this technology, but I'm here. I've had an HTC Eris, now a Motorola Citrus. I read some really bad reviews about the Citrus before I got mine, but I must say, I really like it. I've loaded it up with more apps that I can remember how to use and it's doing fine. It does open web pages a little slow, but then again, I'm getting slow myself. I'm up for a renewal with Verizon in a few weeks and I'm thinking about upgrading to some other driod, but I don't really know of anything I'd really gain since the phone I have seems to do everything I've asked it to. Can anyone tell me if there would be any signifigant differences in say a Motorola Droid X, the Droid 2, or the new HTC Thunderbolt, over what I have now? I don't play games, so I mainly just use the phone for microsoft exchange with my work calendar and email, and I like read Kindle books on it, and do some occasional online searches. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim. :welcome: to the Forum.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get the TB. I feel that technology wise although it may be a very good phone it's a bit heavy on battery usage. All smart phones are, I'd hold off on that one.

As far as your age goes, I don't know how old you are but I'm 58 and another Smod in our Forum is 62 so there are plenty of "older" folks around who enjoy these phones. If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.

-hook

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe you want the knowledge we have about the hardware, and are not looking to hack it (root) and throw custom loadouts on it ...

With that in mind, I'd say hold on to your upgrade until fall, when the real hardware show begins ...

Or you could get a TB, and likely be happy with it.

OP
timandjes

timandjes

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you all. I appreciate all the replies. I'm running 2.1 on my Citrus so I know I'm behind the pack a bit. I kindof like the Thunderbolt, but I'm notorious for walking in a store, picking things up, then putting them back down and walking out because I have a hard time parting with large sums of money. I've got a son in college that's doing a pretty good job parting me with large sums of money.... so it's doubtful I'd pay what VZW wants for it right now. Perhaps when it comes down to around $100 I might.

What exactly is 3G & 4G, or in other words, what's the major difference a non-gaming user would see between the two? VZW sells the Droid X for I think about $99 right now so I'm wondering if the Thunderbolt could actually be worth the $249 price tag to a lite user like me.

RW-1, you stated something about more phones coming out in the fall? Any idea what may come out, or is that just the time every year when a lot of new stuff comes out?

Thanks,
Tim

bplewis24

Reaction score
Tim, 3G and 4G are network technologies that basically boil down to speed differences when browsing the web, downloading files and such. 4G speeds can be anywhere from 3-10x faster than 3G download speeds.

It may not be important to you to pay for a premium device with 4G unless you are really a power user of internet browsing or downloading files. And you need to check and see if there is any 4G in your area: 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless .

If you want my honest opinion, I think some of the non-4G, 2nd gen devices coming out later this year would be great for you. Something like the Droid Incredible 2 or the Droid X2. Or maybe you can buy the Droid X now for a discounted rate like you suggested. Paying a premium for the highest-end phones that are coming out soon or later in the year may not be necessary.

Brandon

OP
timandjes

timandjes

Reaction score
Ram/Rom/Memory?

Could anyone explain phone memory to me? When click the compare phones link on Verizon's website, to compare the available droids, all the verbage isn't the same from one phone to another. Does anyone know of an easy way I can really know how one current VZW droid compares to another regarding how much stuff you can run and how many icons you can load?

Amazingly, I haven't even managed to crash my little Citrus yet, and I've got a ton of apps loaded on it, so I'm not sure what I really need, but I figure if I'm going to get a new phone and be locked in for 2 years, I may as well get something with plenty of expansion room.

Thanks,
Tim