Sending my D1 back to VZW and unrooting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Exayex, Mar 19, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a "like-new" D1 coming from Verizon, however, the rep said I need to send this phone back in or I have to pay full retail. Do I need to unroot this phone before sending it in? Also, if this is the case, how would I go about doing this?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you do need to unroot. Best bet is to just sbf it.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab
  3. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sbf?

4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    don't worry about sbf'ing - just put this file on the root of your SD Card, wipe data/cache, then flash this file (if you're running a custom recovery?):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4033527/signed-voles-FRG22D-Master_OTA.zip

That's the FRG22D Master OTA file. It will wipe/replace your /system, replace any custom recovery, update the bootloader to the latest version, and update your baseband to the latest. Once you install it, you'll have a pure stock phone running FRG22D. That's not too far behind, from a build standpoint, so you could probably take it in as is. But if you want it to be FRG83D or FRG83G, just activate it (if it makes you) and the OTA's will be pushed to your phone for those two patches.
  5. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I installed this tonight via CWR and I'm bootlooping. Help?! It goes to the red eye, then back to to the droid logo, then eye, etc.
  6. opeboy

opeboy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here

Came here with a like problem. My friend convinced me to let him root my phone. I really don't like it. So i tried factory reset(he flew back home since) and obviously that didn't work. How can a total newb like myself find a step by step guide to un-root. like how do I wipe my cache, and wtf is sbf'ing
  7. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    did you wipe data/cache before doing it?
  8. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    do you know what method he used to root it? do you have a custom recovery?

check this if you need to - it's a bit long, but a step by step method to get anybody unrooted, and hopefully is good for a "newb" as well! ;)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...ck-2-2-without-sbf-rsd-lite-droid-1-only.html
  9. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No. For some reason I figured flashing something like that wouldn't require it.

Ugh... Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  10. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    CW is the only one I had to wipe with, and I only had to do it one time, so there must be something small in there causing that. If you can't get it to flash through CW, I know that you CAN flash RZRecovery as a .zip through CW, and then flash the FRG22D file in RZRecovery.
  11. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    If your phone is stuck bootlooping, pull the battery to get it off. Then try and boot into recovery again. If you get back into CW recovery (not likely), then just redo it. If it goes into stock recovery, you could try doing a factory data/reset in there, then reboot and cross your fingers.

If that doesn't work - have you ever SBF'd with RSDLite? That's the ultimate failsafe, but it takes some additional "to-do".
  12. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've no idea what SBF is , or RSDLite, to be honest. I feel so hopeless about this

So pull the battery, put it in,and just press the power button or do I press something special for recovery?

Right now, I'm willing to try anything, learn anything, read anything...hah.

13. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    To get back into recovery, hold down 'x' on the keyboard while you power on. If you get into clockwork again (black background, green text), let me know, and I'll give you more instructions (I'm just sitting here browsing the forum anyway).

However, it's likely you'll see stock recovery, so here's what you do. If, after you power on while holding down 'x', you see a triangle with an exclamation point, then you're in stock recovery. Once you see that triangle/exclamation, close your keyboard, hold down the volume-up button, and tap the camera button while holding volume-up. A menu should pop up. Then open your keyboard again and use the D-pad to navigate that menu. Select the option for factory data/reset - I think that's how it's worded. Then report back.
  14. Exayex

Exayex Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jntdroid, I booted into the factory recovery, did what you said, and it worked. Thank you so much, man! I was so stressed about this and you saved me. I can't thank you enough.

Now...my "like-new" droid's "x" key is malfunctioning out of the box. Cute. Called them back, was only offered another refurb, which I denied. Got a supervisor calling me sometime tomorrow about this. Any suggestions as to what to say? Id settle for a brand new OG droid, even. My guess is they don't exist, so then what?

The brick and mortar store offered me an early upgrade (8 months early) so I could pick up a TB, but he said I should call him tomorrow and tell him if the supervisor offers a better alternative than that.

15. jntdroid

Ratings:
    +292
    I think you're right - I think only refurbs exist on the OG Droid. The TB is one slick phone. 4G sucks the battery life pretty good if you're not careful, but it's a great phone. I don't know how long you've had the Droid, but the offer for the TB would be tempting if I were in your shoes. Otherwise, I think you'll probably have to settle for a refurb D1. You could always look on Craigslist or Ebay - I bought an OG Droid recently off of CL and it was in tip top shape. Obviously you have to be careful, but the possibility exists to find a diamond in the rough.