Sending blank text messages?

NOisevisiON

Reaction score
Help! For some reason when I send text the receiver gets a blank message even though it's there in my thread. I'm using the basic Droid messaging app and sending to a Blackberry, both phones on Verizon. Is it a text encoding setting issue? Or what?
Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like some sort of issue.

I suggest you switch to Handcent. It's much better than the stock messaging app, imo.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Help! For some reason when I send text the receiver gets a blank message even though it's there in my thread. I'm using the basic Droid messaging app and sending to a Blackberry, both phones on Verizon. Is it a text encoding setting issue? Or what?
Thanks.

I've never heard of that one before. No help here (sorry), but I'll bump you up to see if anyone else may know....

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
I've been experiencing this with Handcent sending to a Palm Centro on Sprint. Anyone have an idea why it happens?

pinkumbrella

Reaction score
Did you ever get it fixed?

Hey, I've just started experiencing this same issue. Did you find a way to fix it? :blink:

lizzie

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with a Droid2 sending to a Palm Pixie and today a Nextel BB. Blank messages. Once I restart it's good for a bit, but can't go back in and cut and paste the original text and send it... still blank.

Lizanne

Reaction score
Blank Emails

Emails I send are blank when the recipient gets them but they show "sent" on my end. It happens randomly and frequently and then begins sending correctly. Any suggestions?dancedroid

pinkumbrella

Reaction score
Follow-up

My phone (droid x) stopped sending blank messages within a few days of my post about the problem.

Looking back, it seems to have first started when I sent a text message while my phone was in its dock. That may or may not have contributed to the problem.

I'm curious if anyone here has reported the problem to Verizon, i.e. called customer support? What were you told?

I avoided calling customer support because when I called on behalf of my mom to report a locking up problem on her Samsung Fascinate, the lady, while nice, was of no substantial help. The best she could do was look through a manual while I waited on the line.

notinks

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. I started using Handcent, pulled my battery out and still have the problem. It happens while sending from Verizon to Verizon and Sprint.

blankText

Reaction score
I have found that using the autocomplete on the word "don't" causes my txts to be received as blank txts (droid 2). Somehow the apostrophe is different in the phone dictionary for "don't", and it screws up the message so that it can't be read by the receiving phone. Typing out the word fixes the problem. Don't know if this is related or not.

notinks

Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed that you narrowed it down to don't. I will certainly give it a try!

freehelix

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the original Droid to a Droid X today, and keep having the same exact thing happening. And I seem to have narrowed it down to don't too. The apostrophe is slightly more angled in the word, and having it added in takes up a message down by something like 50-60 characters - i can type "don't", and the message jumps from 110 characters available down to 60-ish, so I'm guessing it's doing something to the character set.

As a web designer, I've had the exact same problem pop up before when we received some text written by a contributor in the UK - his apostrophes were different than ours, and it caused the text encoding to mess up on the web page. I'm betting this is a similar case where the character set gets changed to something else, and the recipient phones obviously don't know what to do with it.

I'm hoping there's a way to edit the word in the dictionary so it uses a regular apostrophe instead.

Lizanne

Reaction score
I never have the problem when I send texts to another Droid. I will try eliminating the "don't" and see if it solves the problem.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure character compatibility is checked. If you send an incompatible character it will blank out the text

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Fireball

Reaction score
I am trying to find handcent for the xoom but i can not find it on the market app on the xoom i really need to find it