Send comments to FCC for anti-"bill shock" policy. Act NOW!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by aminaked, May 18, 2010.

1. aminaked

aminaked New Member

From the recent $18000 bill article:
    It's still happening: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ing-cruise-make-sure-turn-your-phone-off.html

Let's all send the FCC a comment and make this happen! Without a rule, wireless carriers will continue this.

The 45 day comment period started May 11. Here's the FCC announcement: Powered by Google Docs

Only 221 people have commented as of now as seen here: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=09-158

Here's the form: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/begin?procName=09-158&filedFrom=X

Just go to the form and do it! Tell 'em:

Wireless carriers should be forced to disclose to consumers when unusually high charges are being accrued.

OR

I don't want to be notified when my bill gets too high.
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Verizon does this already with texting. They sent me an email when my texting was high last year. I would assume they also do it with data use and roaming. That $18,000 bill was from 2006. Maybe they didnt do it back then, but they do know, for texting anyway.

And with the upcoming LTE network...this is not a bad idea.
  3. aminaked

aminaked New Member

This just happened: Going on a cruise? Make sure to turn your phone off.

Original post updated.

It's just a matter of protecting ourselves. Without an FCC rule, Verizon can say and do whatever they want. One day they alert you of something, one day they don't. I think there should be an FCC rule to protect consumers.
  4. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

don't take me the wrong way but there is no need for this it's just another way for customers to not take personal responsibility.

The first time a message doesn't go out and a customer gets a large bill they will be going straight to a lawyers office saying i shouldn't have to pay the bill because they didn't send me a message.

It's not just with wireless bill's its every aspect of life there is someone trying to figure out how to not take personal responsibility for their own actions.
  5. aminaked

aminaked New Member

It's a consumer rights issue. We have lemon laws, laws to protect credit card holders, I think this is needed. Who's going to stand up for the consumer?

If you think that Verizon and AT&T, etc. should continue to take advantage of uninformed people then that's up to you.

Furthermore: WHY NOT? I know a ton about technology (been programming for many years) but I still would like a text message if my bill goes over $200. WHY NOT???

Two words: Delivery confirmation. Credit card companies call you when there are unusual charges on your bill. That's what is needed here. What other industry sends out surprise bills for $18000?
  6. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

so you saying Verizon and AT&T should be held responsible for the charges caused by an uninformed consumer?

There is no such thing as an uniformed customer when it comes to wireless bills. They don't just make up random charges as you go along, all charges and fees are written in plain english within the contract.
  7. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Then your comment to the FCC should be:

I don't want to be told when my bill gets too high.

I updated the original post to reflect your side.
  8. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

ignorance is no excuse of the law.... from someone who is preaching about understanding T.O.S. on one thread, now seems to think that the onus is on the provider.

People who don't understand roaming and international calls probably don't need cell phones anyways.
  9. Romple

Romple New Member

People are making bad comparisons here. the $18,000 bill thing was because VZW basically changed his pricing structure on him. His 2 year contract on a data plan expired so instead of just continuing it they moved him to pay-per-mb without him knowing. Obviously VZW has some accountability here.

A lot different from someone leaving sync on their Droid and roaming out of country. Or not having a text plan and sending 10000 texts in a month.
  10. jozhua

jozhua New Member

Seriously??? What is wrong with a simple "heads up"? Companies are taking advantage of uninformed consumers by dropping these huge charges on them. These users will ALWAYS exist. They are not as smart as you. Do not punish them or turn your nose down on them for not being as smart as you.
  11. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

I agree with personal responsibility. But I also agree about getting a message when my bill gets too high.

If I pay for 200 texts a month and do not pay attention to how many texts I send then I should have to pay for what I do.

This country is getting too soft and dependant on letting others take the fall.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Wow, you really will find any reason to argue with aminaked. I have a fence post that likes to be argued with, you want me to lend it to you? I think people that don't follow there TOS probably don't need to own a cell phone either.
  13. aminaked

aminaked New Member

What are you talking about? You just like to argue.

Anyway, submit your comments to the FCC or don't. Tell them whatever you want.
  14. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Whoa! I'm a consumer and I do NOT need anyone standing up for me. Don't lump us all into one big group just because you think you need someone holding your hand.

First time I went on a cruise I called my provider and arranged for service in Mexico and asked them how I could prevent roaming charges while at sea. Simply turn off the roaming option until I landed in Mexico. It was that simple but it did require me to think.

Think! Do not ask your government to protect you from yourself. Eventually they will take your droid from you just like they are trying to take our guns from us now.

Nate
  15. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Then let's repeal the lemon law and credit protection too. How about some nice anarchy? All I want is a text if my bill gets over $200 and now the government is taking a way my phone and guns?
  16. jozhua

jozhua New Member

Just don't send the FCC a note supporting this then. There are plenty of people that do need their hand held when it comes to understanding cell phones/computers etc & they are only going to become a more integral part of our lives. There is nothing wrong with a heads up message(just like one you get when your bill is due) to give them a warning.
  17. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Coming from the guy that just found out you can put music on the Droid.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

OK, looks like we are headed for a political discussion. Politics aren't allowed. Keep that in mind.
  19. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Yeah, right. Maybe you could use some hand-holding.:clap:
  20. carbonnoid

carbonnoid New Member

Where do we live where we need to be hand fed everything? Y