1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Semi-major ROM emergency

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dan at Marquette, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

Hey guys,

I finally got Sholesmod up and running this afternoon with great success early on. I noticed for some reason that a gallery had not been installed, however.

So I did what others have recommended and reflashed the image.

I now get to the point where it asks me to wipe data, I say no, and it goes into the whole SPRecovery thing (Attempting Nandroid Backup, dumping system.tar, dumping data.tar, attempting to install ROM from SD card, unpacking sholesmod, wiping /system, extracting system.tar) then it goes back to ask me to "wipe data" again.

I've gone through this cycle 5 times now and it just keeps redoing the process. I don't want to try to exit out because it could really mess something up to do that while it's trying to install or whatever, but I don't want to see what happens when I click "yes" and lose all the data I have.

I'm really in a pickle and was hoping someone could help me so I don't brick this thing.

Thanks.
  2. Dan at Marquette

Ugh, it's now on 13 or 14 cycles of this where it gets to system.tar and then asks to keep or wipe data and just goes through again. I keep telling it to keep but it keeps going through the cycle and ends up asking me again. I don't want to battery pull because that seems like a sure fire way to brick it. I don't want to lose anything I've ever had on my phone either. Anyone??
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

if you're in danger of bricking (which you probably aren't) i think wiping data WouLd be worth it
  4. Dan at Marquette

Any idea what the best course of action would be in terms of actually getting this thing to be functional again? Battery pulling would be foolish, but if it just keeps looping and never actually gets anywhere, I have no idea what else I should do. I mean I can't just let it keep cycling all night.
  5. Dan at Marquette

Oh God. I clicked wipe data, and it still just cycles through and brings me back, asking me the same question. I have no idea what to do. It's entirely stuck on the sholesmod installation cycle.
  6. Dan at Marquette

Now on a solid 20 times. Gets to extracting system.tar, then just recycles to the beginning "no/ keep data, yes/ wipe data". Will never get out of it.
  7. Dan at Marquette

Alright, now on about 25... I'm going to battery pull. It's the only way it's going to stop cycling. If I brick it, well.... I was an idiot to try to root it in the first place I guess. Wish me luck.
  8. jpolidore

jpolidore New Member

I had a problem witht he back up, mine was looped into SPRecovery. I had a guy in another thread tell me to remove the battery and the SD card, put the card in a reader and delete the TMZ file and reboot. I DID NOT HAVE TO DO THIS, SO I CAN NOT GUARENTEE IT WORKS. It is just a suggestion, you may want to wait until someone a bit more intellegent than me replies.
  9. Dan at Marquette

Smooth.

Appears to have worked. Scary, scary stuff though. Let's see if the data is still around...
  10. coolestmage

coolestmage New Member

Yeah, I had to pull battery about 10 times to stop the cycling myself.
  11. Dan at Marquette

Seems to be stable again. Sorry for the minor freak out, although I'm sure some of you can relate to the scariness of something like this.

Thanks for your help, those who replied.