1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Selling my rooted Droid. a few questions first

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sruel3216, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

Ok so im selling my droid to someone off craigslist. i have 2.2 root on it right now and the guy still wants the 2.2 if i do a data/cache wipe and de-activate it, am i good to go? will the phone still have 2.2 root and work for him when activated?

waiting for my Droid X =)

thanks
  2. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

Cannot answer your question, sorry.

Out of curiosity, how much are you charging?(extra for root?)
  3. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

just $250 with case and SD card. Seems to be what they are going for in my area. just enough to cover my X.
  4. Rhino413

Rhino413 New Member

2.2 froyo

as far as i know if you data and cache wipe it will wipe the custom rom clean but will leave the rom installed and still rooted, if you have spr or clockwork recovery on that droid make a backup to the sd card and the wipe the data and cache and see if the phone boots up and runs 2.2
    dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
  5. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

thats what i was thinking. what if i wipe. then reinstall the 2.2 and then just deactivate my number? i just want to get rid of all my contacts and all that
  6. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Your contacts are synced with your google account. A data/cache wipe will give the buyer the phone in a state where when the buyer boots up he/she will be prompted to enter their own google log-in information. If you've ever gone into contacts before you log-in to google or before google syncs after wiping data you would have noticed that the contact list is empty. That is because they are stored in the cloud along with the rest of your information that is linked to your google account.

Just make sure you remove all of your nandroid backups off of the sd card(as well as wipe off anything personal off the sd card) so the buyer can't restore anything of yours.
  7. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

ok thanks. thats what i thought.

now once i deactivate my number and he activates his, he will retain 2.2 correct? im almost positive it will. just didnt know if its some how linked to verizon and when a new number is being activated it will recognize it needs correct software.
  8. oozeeh

oozeeh New Member

if he has to bring it into a verizon store and they have to "flash" it to change the number, then he might lose root and end up with 2.1 OTA. just be ready to re-root the phone.
  9. scoder

scoder New Member

There is no such thing as "flashing" a number to a phone, so there is no chance of losing root.

Tell him to do *228 option 3 and follow the prompts, making sure his old phone is off. This will activate it to his number.

If for some reason that doesn't activate it (let's say he's coming from an Env3) he will need to go to Verizon and they will enter the ESN from the Droid onto his account and do *228 option 1.
  10. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

i bought mine used and i dont remember them flashing it. i just called 611 and they activated it that way. hopefully thats the case
  11. phispher

phispher New Member

If he has an online verizon account, he will be able to log in and add the phone that way, avoiding the need to go in to a verizon store. It will simply ask for the ESN and once keyed in, will sync the phone to his account. Then he does the *228 to program his phone and boom, he's all set.
  12. sruel3216

sruel3216 New Member

awesome! thanks for the help everyone!
  13. macdaddy1

macdaddy1 New Member

what is rooting ?
Search tags for this page
clear a rooted phone

selling my rooted original droid

should a phone be rooted before or after it is activated
wipe a rooted anroid to sell