[ROM] [SELFKANG ICS AOSP ROM] CM9/ICS for Droid 4 -- [BETA 03/05/2012]

Garlick

Reaction score
crappppp.... well so far data has stayed for me.. i thought about toggling wifi and lte but im scared since its still connected to a tower. ill post back when data drops and i have to wipe cache

I personally haven't had an issue toggling between wifi and lte since the 4/7 build. I don't know that you should be afraid of that, as Iam pretty sure that as worked out already.

r0b010146

Reaction score
Using the 4/17 Nightly, I'm having a problem adding facebook as an account. I downloaded the app, but whenever I go to choose facebook to add an account, it just goes right back to the accounts page. Thoughts? Thanks!

Gangrif

Reaction score
Grabbed and installed 4/17 last night. So far so good. Still having wifi/g3 looping issues. Where the phone can't decide whether to use wifi or 3g. Its not terrible though.

Well see how the day goes.

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I thought I would give u guys bit of good news I just went back to stock an applied the new D4 update that moto released an the cm9 rom does work with the new radio an kernel an so far it seems that the rom is responding better with the update than the previous build before the update as in no data drops, faster response, better feel an have yet to find any problems

Shein0327

Reaction score
Hey guys I thought I would give u guys bit of good news I just went back to stock an applied the new D4 update that moto released an the cm9 rom does work with the new radio an kernel an so far it seems that the rom is responding better with the update than the previous build before the update as in no data drops, faster response, better feel an have yet to find any problems

Uhm... Wouldn't the update not effect the new roms at all? since it applies only to the stock operating system and its core files?
Or are there some driver updates and things that the new roms would use?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but it seems that any performance you'd gain from this update on a *non stock* rom would probably be the placebo effect...

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uhm... Wouldn't the update not effect the new roms at all? since it applies only to the stock operating system and its core files?
Or are there some driver updates and things that the new roms would use?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but it seems that any performance you'd gain from this update on a *non stock* rom would probably be the placebo effect...

Read the post again an yes any update on the stock rom will affect any custom rom u apply because the updated kernel an radio will carry over to the custom rom always because the bootloader is locked all the rom is is an os that utilizes any radio or kernel that's on the phone so if u updated the kernel an radio with an update it will use that new kernel an radio and not the previous kernel or radio an sometimes the rom is incompatible with the new radio or kernel an will either crash or not have any signal an then the developers have to recompile it to be compatible with the updated kernel or radio or both but the cm9 has no problems with the update an seems to work better with it

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Interesting. Hadn't considered that the drivers associated with the radio could be part of the bootloader. Since this is the case, do you know why our ICS ROMs have trouble keeping data while the stock ROM does not?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Hadn't considered that the drivers associated with the radio could be part of the bootloader. Since this is the case, do you know why our ICS ROMs have trouble keeping data while the stock ROM does not?

Well for one its a self compiled rom if moto would be kind enough to release the source code for their radios hardware ect we wouldn't have to compile an see what works unlike creating roms from the stock rom which is gingerbread. Where all u have to do is copy an paste the source code an software for the radios an hardware an then recompile the rom from scratch to ur liking. We are using a OS that moto has barely touch so were in the same boat a moto with this ICS rom we're compiling an seeing what works except moto has the upper hand. They have all the coding they need for the internal hardware where as for us we have to pull it from the gingerbread one or try an get it from the manufacturer an try to work out the kinks ourselves. Plus since were using the stock radio an kernel it may not be the one that moto intends to use for there ICS cuz of possible compatibility issues an could be the reason for the data drops. I have also noticed that the drops only occur when u move far enough from cell range that it can't keep the data signal(not the cell signal) an drops an is unable to pick it up but I think he has fixed it with the 4/18 build. An another one is when u make numerous calls in succession (ex call a friend then immediately call a family member after that call) an it is unable to recover data even with the new radio an kernel I have ran into that again. But like I said the new kernel an radio seems to be more responsive with the cm9 vs the previous ones. Better call quality better over all UI experience an an faster an more accurate data acquisition upon boot up an ending a single (not multiple) phone calls. Plus idk if this is cuz of the update I don't think so but I have noticed better picture quality with the camera.

Last edited:

kwyrt

Reaction score
Sweet! I'll have to try CM9 again with the update then. Thanks a lot for the explanation Sarge!

Shein0327

Reaction score
My mistake then. Awesome! I hope they apply this to Gummy, since I prefer it over CM9... though as I've stated before, I'm going to go with whatever rom COMPLETELY fixes the data issues first....

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
My mistake then. Awesome! I hope they apply this to Gummy, since I prefer it over CM9... though as I've stated before, I'm going to go with whatever rom COMPLETELY fixes the data issues first....

Gummy also works with the update along with akop

Last edited:

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the camera and video still a problem too?

I have seen better quality pictures but idk if it was cuz of the update or the fact I installed the 4/18 nightly an video an face lock still do not work data seems to be ironed out except for the 1 issue I stated above with the multiple calls

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Thats good, I've been following this thread from the beginning but stopped a couple weeks ago when I couldnt get safestrap installed. Now that I got it installed via droid4 utility I'll be trying out ROMs now.

Gangrif

Reaction score
So, not to get off topic, but I have a few quick questions about the OTA update.

1. I havent received it yet.

2. Is there a safe procedure for installing it (on a rooted d4) after I do?

3. Is there anywhere i can get it, without waiting for Verizon/moto to send it to me?