1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Self-resolving issue???Brand New Phone!!!

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by paramax55, Jul 14, 2010.

1. paramax55

paramax55 New Member

My droid died today. I was in a panic because I use it so much! It was worse than when my computers die (I wear them out, too). I haven't been under contract for a long time and my old phone kicked @$$ so I thought the fastest way to get back on track was to go down to Verizon and get one from them.

By the time they went through new contract, sale price, and new every 2, it was $49.00 - not bad.

I ran Simply Stunning on my old phone and I could run any Kernel I felt like at whatever speed tickled my fancy. ULV at 1.25Ghz - no problem! So what's the first thing I tried to do with this new one? I rooted it and loaded Simply Stunning. This POS wouldn't even work with 4.3 at stock voltage and no changes in SetCPU. I could get maybe 2 minutes of slow running out of it before I had to pull the battery because it was locked up. I won't be able to make it back to the store until Friday morning, either, so I have been dreading life for the last 8 hours.

Then, suddenly, the phone started doing what it's supposed to do. It is fast, it doesn't lock up, and it seems that I can click through apps with no problem. I haven't tried any of the other Kernels yet, but I plan to do that tomorrow. What gives? How can a phone repair itself?
  2. Droids

Droids New Member

Was probably busy doing sync operations in the background. If it did that for 8 hours though, I dunno why. If it's working fine now though, it'll prolly continue to be fine. If you got a brand new phone for $49, nice. Kinda sucks about signing that contract, but if you're used to no contract then you're used to paying full price. I usually go no contract or one year contract, Droid was my first ever 2 year commitment and I've using cell phones since the original Moto back in the early 90's. Glad to hear the phone is working as it should now.
  3. paramax55

paramax55 New Member

Now, to top it all off, it looks like whatever was messing with the new phone is the same thing that was messing with the old one. This morning, the old one was working fine. I plan to do some "multiple-quadrant-passes" on the both of them today to thoroughly torture test them - just to see. If the old one is truly fine, I am really, seriously considering taking the new one back. I have 30 days and it would only cost me a $35.00 restocking fee. Then I won't be under contract.
  4. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Is your SD card close to full? Or is there a corrupt file on it?

I had an issue a while back where my SD card was both nearing full, and had a corrupt file on it. My error occured shortly after the phone started, once the OS tried to mount the SD card. If you think this might be whats wrong with your phone, then do this.

Reboot the phone.
    As soon as you can, go into the settings>SD card and unmount it.
    If the phone works fine, then there you have it, its your SD card.
  5. paramax55

paramax55 New Member

Stranger things have happened and I have several SD cards that I can try in place of the stock one. Couldn't hurt. Of course, the phone has been fine today - except for the fact that it won't boot with anything but a medium voltage kernel and won't run faster than 1 Ghz.

The old phone seems to be fine now, too. Tomorrow, I am going to do an IMEI swap back to my old phone. If it is still fine, I'm going to load a ULV1.25Ghz kernel on the new phone, lock it up, and return it to Verizon to see if I can get a better one.