Self driving cars: Impressive or Scary

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;4ny8rR1hesU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ny8rR1hesU[/video]​

The Google self driving car really show how far technology has come. And I feel it will be a matter of time before we see cars shipping with auto drive.

The positives:
Can take over driving when the driver is not alert whether it be from working all night or partying all night. The vehicle can take over get the driver home safely while not endangering others on the road.

Can take over when the driver is distracted. We all seen it where some one is texting, on the phone, even seen a person with a full laptop on the steering wheel typing :mad: , I would argue those people either need to invest in a bluetooth device or pull over but the reality is people are not doing that, so the car can just take over and pay attention when the driver isn't.

Negatives:
forcelose.jpg
Software crashes or have a glitch. Unfortunately the one time you hit auto drive and it malfunctions while you are a sleep then you could end up staying sleep. It is not a matter of if but when the software will crash and depending on how the car handles the software crash could determine if you end up in a crash.

super.user_.root_.jpg
2) Hackers and viruses: Another big concern is how the device will handle malware. I am sure Google will do its best to make sure the software is secure. But the more people get their hands on the software the more there is potential for someone to crack software.

What are your thoughts?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
71YtKSHVr-L.jpg
Car-computer-font-b-desk-b-font-dining-table-car-laptop-table-dish-car-font-b.jpg

il_570xN.319382426.jpg

I realize I am about to go off topic really quick but this is still within the ballpark of our discussion, but who in the world thinks of a steering wheel desk. I understand people work out of their cars so I am not trying to be judgmental but it just seem like the desk for one would be in the way and the obvious issue is people who would abuse it. I would not be surprised if most of us has driven down the interstate or a busy road and seen at least one driver with a similar setup driving down the road.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have no issue with them as long as everyone else's car is self riving too. People point out stuff about software and what not. Modern cars are controlled by computers as it is. The software in them has to be perfect and I believe whatever Google launches will have to be perfect as well. Look at all the driving assist features now. Automatic breaking, collision warning and avoidance. Forward looking radar with night vision capabilities. Self driving cars takes it just one step further and allows a computer to use all those features at once in a much more efficient way and IMO safer way. The real challenge is the other drivers. They are the ones that are unpredictable and frankly dangerous at times. Nothing drives me up a wall more on the road is when someone yanks across the freeway to get their exit because they could be bothered with planning ahead and merging over earlier or having to drive slower than 90 for a half mile in preparation of exiting the freeway.

My other problem with it is people like me. I love driving. Its not a chore to me. I drive a Subaru WRX pushing 300hp and love it. Self driving cars have no need for that much power and will ultimately bring fuel efficient cars to the road. They won't have lead foots or speed. Frankly if the majority of cars end up being autonomous cars, I think the roads will be safer and slower. But slower doesn't mean it will take you longer to get from point A to B. I've timed myself driving 75 vs 65 and even faster than that to see the real time gains and its only a minute or two unless I have the entire road to myself with zero traffic then it may be at most 5 minutes. Driving for extended distances the time gain may be 30 minutes over a few hundred miles but is it really a major thing?

I hope these vehicles change the car industry forever iRobot style.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I live 9.5 miles (as the crow flies) from the Washington Monument. It took me 1hr45m to get to work.

If an automated car would allow me to catch some Zs during that time I'm all for it.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the problem. I thought all cars were "self driving"....you mean that guy that opens the door for me is really driving too. Wow.limo and driver.jpg

jspradling7

Reaction score
I love the story of the lady who crashed her Winnebago. She was on the freeway, put it on cruise control and then got up and walked to the back to make herself a sandwich. Even after the crash she couldn't understand what she did wrong. I love to drive but I would gladly let the car take over when I get on Houston's freeways if everyone else did it. These people are nuts during rush hour.

I think it should start as a "no car zone". Something like a 10 mile radius around downtown. You either ride a two wheeler or hop on a bus, tram, subway, or some other mass transit. Big parking lots 10 miles out with automatic parking machines that keep your car. Then, between 10 and 20 miles out, the freeways need to be special built (with detectors and breakdown lanes) for automatic driving and you must put your car in traffic control's hands while in that freeway zone. Once you're off the freeway you take control again.

Outside 20 miles, you can drive your own car on the freeway.

swc2001

Reaction score
Ummm Shoot yeah! An extra hour of sleep on the way to work... yes please! pay bills or read... I am down!
Unfortunately for me I can't get motorcycles (98 R1, and 03 R6) out of my blood. I love to ride to work.
I would only use this on rain days and extreme cold days.

But I am curious how a cop would handle it...... Umm officer I guess your just going to have to give the ticket to Google. LOL

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Ummm Shoot yeah! An extra hour of sleep on the way to work... yes please! pay bills or read... I am down!
Unfortunately for me I can't get motorcycles (98 R1, and 03 R6) out of my blood. I love to ride to work.
I would only use this on rain days and extreme cold days.

But I am curious how a cop would handle it...... Umm officer I guess your just going to have to give the ticket to Google. LOL

I'm guessing the car would be programmed to follow the rules of the road to the letter so cops would pretty much be out of a job except for stuff like out taillights, perhaps dangeous behavior while the car is driving (throwing stuff out the window, etc) or stuff like that.