Selecting a display name in contacts

williadm

Reaction score
Is there any way to choose which display name a contact has? or from which source to use? (IE facebook, myspace, phone contacts) I was happy with letting the phone decide between facebook and phone contacts, but evidently no one on myspace likes to use a normal name. the only way to reverse that process is to just remove myspace as an account.

just curious if there is an easier way to just change the source of the contact name, or re-write it all together.

Thanks!

SoundZombie

Reaction score
Bump. I would really like to know how to do this. Or at least choose not to sync contacts with a service.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no idea what parameters the phone uses as to how it decides which contact is assigned as the name when two contacts are linked but this is what i have found. When you link 2 contacts and it assigns the name of that contact as something you don't want you can seperate the 2 contacts, go to the one that was assigned as the name, open the menu on that contact and go to edit. Once there you can change the name to whatever it is you want without affecting the information inside and when you recombine it will again be assigned as the name. I really hope that wasn't too long winded and if it didn't make sense i appologize. Hope that is an answer to your question though.

Edit: i did some more investigating and it seems like this method will not work with twitter accts. I'm trying to figure out why but it would appear no matter what edit you do to a twitter contact it will always display the twitter name. To make matters worse it seems also as if linking a twitter acct to another contact the twitter will always default as the display name

Last edited:

AllTeam

Reaction score
I found a work around by the way, change the contacts middle name to add their initial or anything.

Yes, it seems that it has to do with the Twitter Account (the default one from Motorola)

earnric

Reaction score
I found a work around by the way, change the contacts middle name to add their initial or anything.

Yes, it seems that it has to do with the Twitter Account (the default one from Motorola)

I've tried this too... No luck on the stock Droid X. I unlinked all contacts (Facebook, Google and Twitter) ... Name is fine until I link twitter: then it changes the contact name (for searching purposes too!) to the twitter handle for that contact. I've gone in and:

1- Changed the middle name on the linked contact - NOPE
2- Changed the middle name on the unlinked phone contact and relinked - NOPE
3- Created TWO new phone contacts with slightly different names and then linked in the twitter contact - NOPE.

This is very frustrating. Why does the twitter handle/name ALWAYS override the other contact names... no matter what order you add them or even if you go in and EDIT the contacts' info.
:icon_evil: