select text

mfratto

Reaction score
that FAQ may not be your friend.

Stigy made a good FAQ on this subject.

That FAQ is either wrong, or inaccurate. I have a sneaking feeling that "cut" behaves differently based on the view. For example, in Touchdown 2.0 when reading an email, I can not use the Menu+D pad to select text. Doesn't work.

also, who's bright idea was it to use two items on the same side of the firking keyboard? Did the engineers every try to actually USE the menu + D pad?

mantis5

Reaction score
Stigy made a good FAQ on this subject.

That FAQ is either wrong, or inaccurate. I have a sneaking feeling that "cut" behaves differently based on the view. For example, in Touchdown 2.0 when reading an email, I can not use the Menu+D pad to select text. Doesn't work.

also, who's bright idea was it to use two items on the same side of the firking keyboard? Did the engineers every try to actually USE the menu + D pad?

Maybe that's because the FAQ says

Selecting Text:
Press and hold the shift key and then press the left or right buttons on the 4-way D-Pad.

;)

I haven't tried it in Touchdown (don't have that app so far), but it has worked for me everywhere I've tried to use it.

I do agree that the right side of the keyboard is hard to use because of the D-pad, but I find that copy/cut/paste is better implemented with this method than on, say, the iPod touch. My opinion. :)

mikes

Reaction score
That's all well and good, but how does one hold the shift and use the D-pad on the screen (e.g. how would this be done on an N1?).

Copy/paste is inconsistent across apps, and non-intuitive. This is an area which needs more work.

mfratto

Reaction score
still quirky

Maybe that's because the FAQ says

Selecting Text:
Press and hold the shift key and then press the left or right buttons on the 4-way D-Pad.
;)

*face palm* You are right, but still quirky. I just tried in TD, here is what happens. Press Shift then Left or Right d-pad, the various controls (buttons, etc) get highlighted. But, if I then swipe across the screen, some text gets highlighted and copied to the clipboard. :icon_eek:

It works in other apps. Go figure.

mfratto

Reaction score
Shoot a movie or it dind't happen

I can't select and cut text on TD for 2.0. Not from the reading view nor from the reply view. All that happens is it jumps from control to control. So how does this magic happen?

PJnc284

Reaction score
I can't select and cut text on TD for 2.0. Not from the reading view nor from the reply view. All that happens is it jumps from control to control. So how does this magic happen?

Are you holding shift and swiping across the text. It seems that the shift and dpad method only works in text boxes where you can actually place the cursor in the text.

cyclops

Reaction score
After a lot of testing... the the ole shift + finger drag works, but seems buggy, e.g, the copy buffer seems small. Mine highlights in magenta and gives me the message "text copied to clipboard" -- I have used it in both reading and reply mode. It can then be pasted using the menu + v method. Wouldn't want to do a lot of editing this way.

mfratto

Reaction score
yah

After a lot of testing... the the ole shift + finger drag works, but seems buggy, e.g.

Thanks for replying, cyclops and PJ.

Yeah, very, very buggy. Don't know if it is a TD or an Android issue. Sometimes it works, some times not. I spend alot of time editing and sometimes on my Droid, so it's quite frustrating not to do cut and paste.

PJnc284

Reaction score
yeah, the copy/paste support on the droid is quirky and mediocre. I'd like to see something like what is on the iphone or storm.

cyclops

Reaction score
Seems to be more TD than other apps, I do edit quite a bit in docs to go, and it isn't too bad there, although it could be better.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
That's all well and good, but how does one hold the shift and use the D-pad on the screen (e.g. how would this be done on an N1?).

Copy/paste is inconsistent across apps, and non-intuitive. This is an area which needs more work.

I might be off base here, but you are asking how would this be done on an N1....

This is the Droid forums, I realize some of the stuff might apply to other devices, but it's not set out for other devices. >.<

EDIT: Left my post in tact and am editing for my error. I am a little off base considering the site is actually for Android based phones, not just Droid, which people sometimes forget(like myself).

Not trying to flame but in light of the information the FAQ for shortcuts is for a keyboard; so we'll have to cross the bridge of the N1 when we get to it.

+1 for poorly implemented cut/paste/copy features.

mymotoq07

Reaction score
what? no.. just long press and block of text (or space for text entry) and select things like "select all" "copy" or "paste"

what do you mean? long press .. if I open my gmail ... open an email ... and hold press on the screen ... it does nothing UNLESS i long press over an email address within the email body for example... then... it pops up

"send email" or "copy" options
emoji-E056.png
ohhhhh....thank you sooo much...I would have never even thought to open to the keyboard...lol
I was getting pissed thinking...this phone can do all this stuff and you can't even copy and paste....WOW....thanks !