Seidio Innotraveler car dock

BarryD

Reaction score
That's right. I do have to connect my audio input every time I connect. I expected to do so and I can't imagine any way around it nor any improvement which could account for that, other than using a usb/sd card/mounting solution (which sucks, because it only plays the sd card, meaning no Pandora), or bluetooth.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi (I think everyone does), so I'll take a look at the compatibility of the mounts when I have an opportunity. But it'll probably be Friday.

The back of mount has a ball device which connects to a 2" square flat plate with four holes in the corners. The flat plate is supposed to mount to one of ProClips mounting plates. I chose not to get the mounting plate because I didn't like the options they had available for my vehicle. Instead, I fabricated my own mounting plate from Al stock and connected that plate to my dash. Then I bolted the mount to the plate.

pudah

Reaction score
That's right. I do have to connect my audio input every time I connect. I expected to do so and I can't imagine any way around it nor any improvement which could account for that, other than using a usb/sd card/mounting solution (which sucks, because it only plays the sd card, meaning no Pandora), or bluetooth.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi (I think everyone does), so I'll take a look at the compatibility of the mounts when I have an opportunity. But it'll probably be Friday.

The back of mount has a ball device which connects to a 2" square flat plate with four holes in the corners. The flat plate is supposed to mount to one of ProClips mounting plates. I chose not to get the mounting plate because I didn't like the options they had available for my vehicle. Instead, I fabricated my own mounting plate from Al stock and connected that plate to my dash. Then I bolted the mount to the plate.

I can picture how it would be done. Imagine this cradle with another rig similar to the power connection, but on the side/top where the headphone jack is. This one, however, can slide in and out and has the stereo plug connected to it. When slid out you can put the phone in with full clearance. Then you slide it in with your thumb, and as it's already lined up it should go in and you stop pushing when it stops moving. The other end can have a cable or better yet a pass-through jack you can plug your cable into. The benefit to this is that you dont have an end of the cable dangling around when not connected, and because it's always connected to the cradle you can hide the cable in the dash. My issue is that I usually end up wanting to plug the phone in for music as Im driving and it's not easy to see/line up the plug to the jack, and probably not safe either. You could do this without looking. All of this would be unnecessary if my car's bluetooth did more than phone calls.

I dont like the idea of having a ball on the back of this mount. That means I have to mate a ball to a ball. I think it can be done by getting, or creating an adapter with two sockets on either sides, but then it's getting a bit bulky. Can it be removed to expose a flat back with notches, screw holes or anything else? Thanks for the help with this.

BarryD

Reaction score
No problem.

Yeah, I think that you could completely remove all the mounting apparatus from the mount. You would be left with the mount and nothing attached to the backside, and three holes in the mount.

I think that's true. I'll confirm for you when I have an opportunity. Friday, I think.

Murz

Reaction score
Pudah,

I would get a replacement from Seidio if I was you. I havent had any of the problems that you describe. My phone slides in perfectly, everytime, and I dont find it too bulky for my car. Like I said, the only negative thing I've noticed after using this thing for 7 weeks is that my phone gets kind of hot.

pudah

Reaction score
I can't say as I am amazed with their customer service either. I tried to online chat, nope. I sent an email with my concerns (very pointed and detailed with suggestions), and I got a vanilla response stating that it would be passed along because the e-mailer was sure "they" would be concerned, and nothing followed that. I gave up and requested a RMA and it's been days now and I didn't get a response with the RMA number or instructions. I emailed again regarding the RMA and no response yet again. Now the D- is a F-. Boo Seidio.

Trooper

Reaction score
I have had absolutely zero problems with my dock. I couldn't be happier...

I think some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope....

pudah

Reaction score
I have had absolutely zero problems with my dock. I couldn't be happier...

I think some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope....

Maybe it's just mine, but I have a right to complain when it takes 50 attempts for the thing to seat. That will, very quickly, damage the usb port on my phone to an unusable status. They still have not responded to my RMA request or questions online. That too is NOT something small to complain about. The other issues were more technical and minor, but still very valid for a dock of this price.

Murz

Reaction score
Pudah,

Send a PM to "Seidioseidio" on these forums. He's Seidio's rep on this site and always takes care of the forum members here. The one time I had to send my case back he took care of everything, I dident even have to fill out a form. I just PM'ed him my info and my case shipped the next day.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I also noticed it being difficult to seat tightly enough to get the phone to make a connection with the micro USB. It seems to have gotten easier with a few days use, but I still have to press firmly.

I have a more pressing concern at the moment though. I used te seidio dock with the standard battery and while it was definetely getting a connection to the dock (charge indicator showed on the power display, showed conneted to AC, backlight stayed on), it was not actually recharging the phone. At least not much. I would leave a client and have an hour drive. I would leave with 70% and arrive at my destination with 40%. I would run GPS or music, but USB transerfers more then enough power to supply your usage and recharge the battery at the same time. I haven't tried it with the entended battery (which is the whole reason I got the dock) since I had to have my first one replaced and my new extended is still going through the full charge/discharge sequence they recommend.

So, has anyone else noticed it making a connection and not charging the phone sufficently?

Murz

Reaction score
So, has anyone else noticed it making a connection and not charging the phone sufficently?

Mine seems to charge it just enough to cover whatever I’m using the phone for on the trip (usually pandora, nav, bluetooth and the lcd drain all at the same time). Normally I'll leave with the battery around 90% and when I arrive to my destination it well be at, or a bit above 90%.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score

Mine seems to charge it just enough to cover whatever I’m using the phone for on the trip (usually pandora, nav, bluetooth and the lcd drain all at the same time). Normally I'll leave with the battery around 90% and when I arrive to my destination it well be at, or a bit above 90%.

Hmmm, It should charge more then that. The motorolla charge obviously does. At least it does better then mine, but still. I would expect to have more, not the same or less.....

_33

Reaction score
I really wanted to grab one of these, but with the mixed reviews I think I'll hold off.

rbrown1

Reaction score
my problem too

I also noticed it being difficult to seat tightly enough to get the phone to make a connection with the micro USB. It seems to have gotten easier with a few days use, but I still have to press firmly.

I have a more pressing concern at the moment though. I used te seidio dock with the standard battery and while it was definetely getting a connection to the dock (charge indicator showed on the power display, showed conneted to AC, backlight stayed on), it was not actually recharging the phone. At least not much. I would leave a client and have an hour drive. I would leave with 70% and arrive at my destination with 40%. I would run GPS or music, but USB transerfers more then enough power to supply your usage and recharge the battery at the same time. I haven't tried it with the entended battery (which is the whole reason I got the dock) since I had to have my first one replaced and my new extended is still going through the full charge/discharge sequence they recommend.

I had the same problem and just got the replacement unit. I'll use it some this weekend and see if the charger actually charges. It is frustrating when the phone shows it is being charged but then shuts down with a dead battery.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I had the same problem and just got the replacement unit. I'll use it some this weekend and see if the charger actually charges. It is frustrating when the phone shows it is being charged but then shuts down with a dead battery.

OK, well at least its not just me.... It still sucks though!

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Well, Seidio PM'd me and is sending me a replacement. At least they're customer service has been great so far :)