Seidio Cases Update/My Review

want a droid

Reaction score
Finally got my Seidio Innocase Active the other day. Just like the Surface case it is awesome, feels great, and looks good.

However, after two days of use it is already broken. Just like my surface case, the case lasted less than a week which is absolutely horrible for a $30 case.

How it broke: I dropped my phone from my lap onto my carpet about 2 feet. Front part of case fell off when it hit the carpet, and now it won't lock on.

I would not recommend either case. Others might, but so far I've spent $60 on two products that both lasted less than a week.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

tomad9

Reaction score
Stinks about the outcome, if I may ask you how does the active feel compared to the surface. I sometimes use a carry case and the surface is smooth so it slides in and out pretty easily. I was wondering if the active is the same way.
Thanks

zero7404

Reaction score
Finally got my Seidio Innocase Active the other day. Just like the Surface case it is awesome, feels great, and looks good.

However, after two days of use it is already broken. Just like my surface case, the case lasted less than a week which is absolutely horrible for a $30 case.

How it broke: I dropped my phone from my lap onto my carpet about 2 feet. Front part of case fell off when it hit the carpet, and now it won't lock on.

I would not recommend either case. Others might, but so far I've spent $60 on two products that both lasted less than a week.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

i had a similar mishap with the commuter case i got for the d2 ... dropped from my hand about 2 feet onto a linoleum floor and the screen bezel cracked at one of the tabs ....

ironically, the plastic is smooth and slippery so it slipped out of my hands. the innocases have an antislip coating.

but seidio is not as good with customer service as otterbox .... so get on them until u get a replacement

posted via android

droidxforme

Reaction score
That's terrible, did you try a rubber case?

I have one and it never comes apart, even when dropped.

zero7404

Reaction score
i also have a verizon gel snap on thats much more secure. but removing/installing it gradually scratches my fone

posted via android

arrjaytea

Reaction score
All I really care about are the differences between the Innocase Surface and Innocase Active.

Cases break, especially those made for a phone like the D2, they simply aren't capable of adding the protection people desire/assume is possible.

The only resolution is simple: don't drop your phone. If you do, be glad when the case breaks and your phone doesn't.

I'm not saying this is a desirable state of affairs, but it should have been painfully obvious. There's not a single D2 case out there that's going to be as rugged as you'd like.

Not one.

zero7404

Reaction score
All I really care about are the differences between the Innocase Surface and Innocase Active.

Cases break, especially those made for a phone like the D2, they simply aren't capable of adding the protection people desire/assume is possible.

The only resolution is simple: don't drop your phone. If you do, be glad when the case breaks and your phone doesn't.

I'm not saying this is a desirable state of affairs, but it should have been painfully obvious. There's not a single D2 case out there that's going to be as rugged as you'd like.

Not one.

the difference then would be the rubber insert that cradles the phone (of the active) as opposed to just hard plastic shell.

when you say 'don't drop your phone', easier said than done. even cautious ppl eventually drop their phones. mine slipped out of my hands because of the otterbox' slippery exterior surfaces.

Atl_Droid2

Reaction score
I concur - and here is my [long] story.

I recent purchased 2 seidio active cases one from Amazon and one from seidio directly (I had to do that cuz the wife wanted a particular color, and I had doubts so I wanted to be able to return to the amazon vendor and get money back). The previous set of cases I had were the "premium rubberized cases" found on Amazon for like 0.01 or something crazy like that. Those cases lasted a couple months but ultimately broke. The tabs securing both top and bottom halves were microscopic. A few of the tabs broke upon installation but there were enough to keep the whole thing together. They were alright for the time they lasted and for the price is a great way to just have something on the phone. At the time the otter box wasn't available and since my previous experience with them (blackberry storm) was fantastic, it was a no brainer. Then I came across a large amount of negative comments. I took the opportunity to try a new [to me] brand and that was seidio. I went with the active cases. The surface cases looked too much like the cheap "premium cases" I had and I wanted some actual rubber included for max protection. When I got the cases it was clear that they use a thicker, stronger plastic. The back half is a great piece. It has nice locking tabs that appear to be very durable. The rubber insert is nice and the button covers were great. Then I looked at the top half. It was definitely thicker and covered more of the phone than the cheap cases, but they only had 3 tabs and they too were micro thin. I was sad about that but figured I'd give it a try since I just paid almost 30 bucks each for them. I was at a mattress store (no really, I was) and holding my phone when for no particular reason it slipped out of my hand. It fell 18 or so inches from my hand down to the (admittedly) firm mattress. I guess it just caught the corner because the top half went flying. I was shocked, but thought, that’s okay, just because it came off doesn't mean it was broken. Well actually yeah, the large top locking tab was sheared off making it impossible to use the case. It’s pretty ridiculous for a $30 phone case to fail because it fell onto a mattress. I can understand concrete, but a firm mattress? That’s just preposterous. Although not surprising after you look at the impossibly thin tabs. Anywho I returned the case to the Amazon vendor and I am getting my money back. The case on the wife’s phone is from seidio, so WHEN it fails I’ll just have to get a replacement (hopefully) but there’s no getting money back. Then again her phone lives in her purse 99% of the time so I give it more time.

Bottom line: no case, at any price, from any company, can sufficiently protect a sliding phone. Period, end of story. The mechanics make it impossible since there is no way to secure the top half to the phone with strong-enough tabs to make it safe. The only solution is a universal pouch, and hopefully when you’re actually holding it you don’t drop it. If you do, you’re SOL. We can’t even use silicone cases. The only option would be one of those films that you put around the phone, but that won’t help against a 3 foot, corner impact on concrete – which, btw, my black berry storm with otterbox defender case soaked up like nothing.

Next time I just won’t get a sliding phone – even though I like the physical keyboard, sacrificing protection for the keyboard is dumb.

zero7404

Reaction score
incipio makes nice cases, but not for this phone. i'm into a nice case that protects well and also has other features ... they have one case for the iphone that has it's own built-in battery for added juice. no such cases exist for other phone makes.

4rnr

Reaction score
I just recieved my belt clip from them seidioonline.com

I ordered it on the 18th, selected ground shipping, and finally got it today. Seems good, seems strong, but woow, shipping is stupid slow, cause of that, Ill probley never oder directly from them ever again.
Half a day with it, I like it, is it worth $35, IMHO nope.

Inverse

Reaction score
Loving the look and feel of my Seidio Active case, but yeah~ it sounds like when I drop it, the case is probably not going to fare too well... but at least NONE of these negative reviews say that their phone was worse for wear, only the case... and in that way, it actually makes me feel good about it.

rustydogg

Reaction score
I'm a bit dissapointed with my Seido Surface case. I expected this results from having used cases on other phones. Some dirt gets in between the phone and the case and now my phone is scratched around the screen were the shiny sides are.
On my old Omnia I had a rubber case and it worked great. I know thats not possible with this phone.
I haven't dropped my phone yet and if I did not have the case on my phone would not be scratched as heavily. I'm really wondering if its worth the expense and extra bulk to use cases.

Reaction score
I'm a bit dissapointed with my Seido Surface case. I expected this results from having used cases on other phones. Some dirt gets in between the phone and the case and now my phone is scratched around the screen were the shiny sides are.
On my old Omnia I had a rubber case and it worked great. I know thats not possible with this phone.
I haven't dropped my phone yet and if I did not have the case on my phone would not be scratched as heavily. I'm really wondering if its worth the expense and extra bulk to use cases.

I actually removed my seidio innocase because I found the same thing on my old phone. Thankfully(?) I stupidly washed it, and got an insurance replacement, and haven't put a case on it. It's been a few months, and it still looks way better than my old phone did. I am a convert, I will not be using a case anymore. This phone's too sexy to cover up.

4rnr

Reaction score
ok, as of last night, mine broke....

had it cliped on my pocket, sat down and felt it snap. :icon_evil:

Something told me to just get the one from Amazon for $2 lol but no, I had to spend $35 and in about a month it broke, geuss its not as strong as I thought, lol
Ill send this back and see what they say, I dont really want another, would rather have my cash back