1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Security] Faceniff Can HiJack Unencrypted Facebook, Twitter, & YouTube Logins

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 2, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Here's a story that we want to be cautious in posting as it could be used to nefarious effect. But, we also felt it was important to inform you guys so that you can be armed with enough knowledge to watch out for this kind of thing. Apparently, there is an app called Faceniff that allows you to login to another person's Twitter, Facebook and YouTube accounts if they login on a shared WiFi network without SSL encryption. This is a serious security issue that people need to be aware of. We aren't going to post any descriptions of how to do it, or links to the app, obviously. One of the easiest ways to avoid this being a problem is to switch to an HTTPS connection on the web services that support it, like Twitter and Facebook. Also, it's not a bad idea to try and be aware of who is around you while you are on a public WiFi. The use of this app is probably illegal in most countries.

Source: Android.net via PhanDroid
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Just tried it myself. Creeptastic. I'm so going to toy with my wife. She finally changed her password after I kept posting on her page...sometimes out of fun, sometimes because she left herself logged in on my desktop. All I can say is muwahahaha.
  3. alquimista

alquimista New Member

Not open source

First and foremost, don't be afraid of the big bad wolf. Make sure you always use SSL encrypted connections and you will be totally protected against attacks like this. Check with whatever service you are using and see if there is a HTTPS only option. Or try looking at plug ins like HTTPS Everywhere | Electronic Frontier Foundation from the EFF.

Now on to the app itself:

The app is not like Firesheep. It is not in the same spirit as Firesheep. It is not a means to educate the average Joe. It is not a means to show large social network providers like Facebook that they have glaring security holes. It is not open source.

For the pen testers out there, you know that most reputable POC/educational tools like this come with readily available source code (see: Firesheep or Creepy). If you look on FaceNiff - Facebook (and other services) Session Hijacker for Android you will find no links to code, and no attempt at transparency.

I strongly caution against buying and or installing this apk for two reasons:
    1. It is simply not transparent enough to trust.
    2. Its not a good way to learn anything.

Like the good man over at Darknet always say " Don`t Learn to HACK - Hack to LEARN."

~ALQI
  4. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 New Member

idk if this really works or is it just a copout of phonemypc. video is kinda fuzzy, makes a remember that youtube video of the guy saying he had bbm on iphone when of course he was using the sms... makes me wonder about this one now...i wonder...
  5. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

It works I tried it out but it looks like you only get 3 uses then you have to buy the app.
  6. Captain Crypto

Captain Crypto New Member

Excellent post. I do this stuff for a living (risk management/security) and I would NEVER recommend the average Joe/Jane install a tool like this without the source code for review. I plan to move over to PE6 tonight, so I'm going to install this on my OG Droid first and see what happens. If it's not kosher, no harm-no foul since I'm blowing everything away anyway (after a full TiBu/nandroid backup first, of course).

7. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

A tool meant for hacking without ethics...
    Oh, not open source?? Requires root?
    Sure, let me install that!

A tool that sniffs the network would in fact require root, so that's not bad on it's own. Obviously, the author of this tool doesn't find it bad to sniff out or take people's personal info... still not too bad on it's own. But, it's not open source! Altogether, Bad!

The guy wrote a program that sniffs other people's info and gives it to you. What's stopping him from stealing all your info for himself??
  8. Abadus

Abadus New Member

Me not installing it? :D
  9. QiG

QiG New Member

If it's a suspect piece of software, then I would probably recommend axing this thread so curious members don't download/install it...
  10. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

This actually works very well. I don't condone mucking in other people's accounts, but the sooner amazon, facebook, etc. use https for all traffic the better.
Search tags for this page
faceniff apk motorola razr
faceniff app for unrooted phone

faceniff for unrooted android

faceniff for unrooted phone

faceniff for unrooted phones

faceniff free app for unrooted androids
faceniff full version apk
faceniff non rooted
faceniff pro fr non rooted

faceniff source code

faceniff unroot