Security Enhancements for Android policy update?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I received this notification just now. I know it is all part of the stagefright protection process but I'm not so sure I want to agree to this. After my last debacle with a bad update, I don't think I want anymore updates randomly happening on their own. What are the chances that these security updates will delete apps that are not downloaded from the Play Store (from "unknown sources") because it views them as a risk? Or if the security update decides pictures or documents I have are a risk, is it just going to delete them without warning.

c9116a8b5c895d8601158318ef2d5bc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I got this notification when I first got my phone and enabled it. I have not noticed any ill effects.

Though I have install from unknown sources checked, I haven't installed any apps this way. I can test one for you if you want.

Let me know the name and I can try it.

Noted from my Note 5

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh thanks Sydman. I may have already enabled it on my previous N5 without thinking or reading it. Now I'm feeling more cautious after the last update completely bricked my phone. Because I just got the replacement N5 I'm now seeing this again but not so sure I want updates to happen automatically.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks cr6. So far, so good. I can't tell if it's brand new or refurbished so that is good. If there were any signs of wear, I was going to send it back till I got one in mint condition given that the one I have to send back is. I packaged up the original N5 to send back but a good thing I didn't send it back yet because the replacement one did not come with the s-pen.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks cr6. So far, so good. I can't tell if it's brand new or refurbished so that is good. If there were any signs of wear, I was going to send it back till I got one in mint condition given that the one I have to send back is. I packaged up the original N5 to send back but a good thing I didn't send it back yet because the replacement one did not come with the s-pen.

With the Note5 being so newly released I'd suspect it was a return because they didn't want it vs because it was broken if it turns out to be a refurb.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
With the Note5 being so newly released I'd suspect it was a return because they didn't want it vs because it was broken if it turns out to be a refurb.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Being that it has only been out a month I figure it's got to be new or a buyer's remorse return.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
In my experience Samsung, Verizon & Asurion all do a fantastic job with their replacement devices.
Between me and my significant other, we've had 6 replacement devices (4 different models) over the past 6 years, and all of them have looked & performed brand new. You wouldn't know they were refurbs by looking at them.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have to admit that I've always seemed to have good luck with replacement devices with Verizon. But you never know especially when you're replacing a brand new phone.

Reactions: cr6

spyder560

Reaction score
After this update, I noticed my bluetooth is shotty in my car. When I connect, people can no longer hear me when I talk to them during a call