1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

security & apps

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by TracyM, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TracyM

TracyM New Member

I've noticed many of the apps I'd like to use can gain access to anything they choose so long as they note it in the download disclaimer and I agree and install it. I've since only installed apps that do not ask for contact or call history type information. I have yet to come across a good radio station player that didn't request that type of info.
  2. TracyM

TracyM New Member

Anyone know of a player that doesn't access your personal data?
  3. fullroom

fullroom New Member

IIRC one of the permissions is confusingly worded, and implies access to "call history" or something similar. When in reality that permission is simply used to detect incoming calls to pause the player. But this only becomes clear if you select 'More' on that permission.

If all of the players you've found require this poorly-named permission, this might be part of the confusion...
  4. jondwillis

jondwillis New Member

From a developer's point of view:

You are writing code, and you realize that some system operation that you are trying to do isn't happening, or is causing an error for some reason. You do a little research, and realize that you need a permission. Many of these permissions are general, and lumped together in permissions like "android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" and may be required for many varying things. For example, to read battery remaining %, check if a call is coming in to avoid a crash in some cases, etc.

So while it is true some permissions can be used for evil, usually they are not, and sound far more evil than what they will be used for.