Secret datalogging??

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Does the Razor have the same/similar 'benign' data logging that's been recently outed on the HTC?? I've downloaded and installed the necessary apposition to clean this, but don't have the technical wizardry to scope this out entirely. I'm rooted and bootstrapped with a backup, but want to hear if it's worth/necessary running the cleanup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mastacox

Reaction score
This whole deal has been blown way out of proportion. See here:

How Carrier IQ was wrongly accused of keylogging | Privacy Inc. - CNET News
CNET.com said:
There's zero evidence that Carrier IQ captured, recorded, or transmitted any keystrokes...

... Dan Rosenberg, an exceptionally talented security consultant who has discovered more than 100 vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel, FreeBSD, and GNU utilities, extracted a copy of Carrier IQ's software from his own Android phones. He then analyzed the assembly language code with a debugger that allowed him to look under the hood.

"The application does not record and transmit keystroke data back to carriers," Rosenberg told CNET. His reverse-engineering showed that "there is no code in Carrier IQ that actually records keystrokes for data collection purposes."

Keep in mind also that claims of things like CarrierIQ recording URL's you visit are essentially frivolous because your carrier ALREADY KNOWS what URLS you visit (through the cell network anyway)... This has all gone out of control because the company did a bad job of damage control when some bad press on them leaked out; they don't seem to be collecting information the carriers don't already have through other means though.

Last edited:

tedrodai

Reaction score
This whole deal has been blown way out of proportion. See here:

How Carrier IQ was wrongly accused of keylogging | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Keep in mind also that claims of things like CarrierIQ recording URL's you visit are essentially frivolous because your carrier ALREADY KNOWS what URLS you visit (through the cell network anyway)... This has all gone out of control because the company did a bad job of damage control when some bad press on them leaked out; they don't seem to be collecting information the carriers don't already have through other means though.

No offense, but that article hardly clears the software (and carriers) of all charges so to speak. You may be right, you may not be. Some people would like do disable stuff like this regardless of how benign it may be.

loonie01

Reaction score
Just don't do illegal stuff with your phone. Government will spy on you weather you want then too or not
-

OP
Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Unfortunly, those was money seem to be able to stave off privacy legislation forever. Anything that happens from here on out probably won't grandfather in past policies and software.

So the carriers can track what/where we do via the network...no s***. Is there anything on there motorola razr handset that does this internally, and how does one disable it manually?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

apl3

Reaction score
This whole issue of carrier IQ is a perfect example of how the internet can run amok. All that needs to happen is one person posts an unfounded allegation and suddenly there is a firestorm. My god, people think the article was on the internet so it must be true. I read that article How Carrier IQ was wrongly accused of keylogging | Privacy Inc. - CNET News and it seems pretty straight forward. IMHO people spend alot of time believing whatever they read on the interwebs. If Samsung did install true spyware on a phone there is no way they would be able to hide that. I really douibt some exec thought that would be a good idea to do that , if they got caught their asses would be sued beyond belief. Thing of it is Verizon, ATT&T already know what you are doing with the phone. Just another example of the sky is falling.

Last edited:

mastacox

Reaction score
Let's be honest, has this doucheware even been found on ANY Motorola phones on Verizon's network? From what I understand Verizon doesn't even use it...

mastacox

Reaction score
No offense, but that article hardly clears the software (and carriers) of all charges so to speak. You may be right, you may not be. Some people would like do disable stuff like this regardless of how benign it may be.

You ask that the carriers defend the accusations, but are the accusations even backed up? I can't even find the "original proof" that this was happening in the first place...

Cinoib

Reaction score
You ask that the carriers defend the accusations, but are the accusations even backed up? I can't even find the "original proof" that this was happening in the first place...

Have you seen the video on Ytube by Trevor Eckhart that illustrates CID in action using Log Cat? It is very convincing. Search "CIQ" YouTube.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

breedingh8

Reaction score

I personally feel they have no right and are in the wrong the rest is just cover ups; I'm still running logcat on my devices when I'm bored watching activity... Someone mentioned our ISPs I don't agree but don't wanna get in a debate over anything like this in this forum however as far as MY ISP I use alternative DNS also double encrypted Downloads when I use my 50Mbps to leech B-)... All I can say quickly as far as carriers go, don't really care I'm usually not running stock anything so long as they don't place it at the hardware level it does not bother me

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

breedingh8

Reaction score
This whole issue of carrier IQ is a perfect example of how the internet can run amok. All that needs to happen is one person posts an unfounded allegation and suddenly there is a firestorm. My god, people think the article was on the internet so it must be true. I read that article How Carrier IQ was wrongly accused of keylogging | Privacy Inc. - CNET News and it seems pretty straight forward. IMHO people spend alot of time believing whatever they read on the interwebs. If Samsung did install true spyware on a phone there is no way they would be able to hide that. I really douibt some exec thought that would be a good idea to do that , if they got caught their asses would be sued beyond belief. Thing of it is Verizon, ATT&T already know what you are doing with the phone. Just another example of the sky is falling.

As you say in your own post don't believe everything your read on the net this includes the wrong fully accused article... Research all areas with all compounded data you can gather up and make an educated conclusion on your own this is not directed at anyone impartiality.

apl3

Reaction score
As you say in your own post don't believe everything your read on the net this includes the wrong fully accused article... Research all areas with all compounded data you can gather up and make an educated conclusion on your own this is not directed at anyone impartiality.

Okay then show me me proof positive that this exists, Show me a trace log that shows that data being pulled or pushed by CarrierIQ.

Last edited:

apl3

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse but if this program is there wouldnt all the people that are using it for torrents etc be screwed. If this has been capturing info and I was using my phone for torrents etc I would be very nervous.

Last edited: