Second Part of Gingerbread Update Phone Storage Low

OP
B

boetw

Reaction score
I tried what I was told by HTC again today as it's the 72 hours of the *#*#checking#*#* and it was there and looked like it was going through the install but got stuck on the rebooting now screen. I might have to try that out.

wanabfishn

Reaction score
I just tried the procedure outlined by 1larryw & it worked perfectly the first time. I now have an up to date phone running Gingerbread.

Thanks 1larryw for your instructions. :biggrin:

mslanoc

Reaction score
Thanks

This was the deal, I had to do it twice but it worked like a charm. Where did you get this info?

luckyrabbit17

Reaction score
Here is the fix for all the second update people who had their first attempt bork because of low space. and have not gotten another OTA announcement again.

Clear borked upload in cache
  1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"
You can now wait for the update to show up again or you can follow steps below to force an update check:

Please manually change the date on your phone to one year from today. This will trigger an automatic check in with the update servers and you will get the appropriate update.

1. Menu > Settings > Date and Time
2. Un-check Automatic to prevent the date and time from automatically updating
3. Change the date to one year from today (under Set Date)
4. Uncheck Background data from settings menu under Accounts & Sync (don't really know if it makes a difference, but I did it anyway)
4. Go back to the main settings and select About Phone > Check For Update and follow the prompts (I had to do this about three or four times.) It went MUCH smoother over Wi-Fi

Caution...when clicking install and reboot, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed.

THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

Waltsm53

Reaction score
Got the update but...low space

The update came through but i'm getting a low space message and can't install. I've moved a lot to the SD card, and the phone shows 484MB free. Any idea how much more I need to free before I can install the update?

Thanks

sdellis

Reaction score
This fix worked for me!

After a week of searching here is what I've found. Yay!! Spread the word. There are a lot of people trying to get this problem resolved. (I've included the link to the actual site.)

Re: Problems with installation of update for Build Number: 4.08.605.2 - Verizon Droid Incredible - Android 2.3.4 - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Okay, I have fended several issues just getting Gingerbread Baked! The first update was deployed 11/15/11 with no issues. This was build 4.06 On 11/16/11 the second update (4.08) attempted install and failed with the dreaded "Low Space" error. After that, I got stuck in the eternal non-reboot issue. To get this out of the way: Disclaimer, I do not take responsibility for your device. But... It seemed to be a pretty simple fix for me.Remove any unused apps you can. These can be reinstalled later!Boot into recovery
  • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
  • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
Select "Reboot system now"
When the system restarts, go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates. Chances are the update is NOT there.Go to Settings>Set Time & Date. UNCHECK "Use Network Time"Reset your clock for 1 MONTH aheadGo back to Settings>About Phone>System UpdatesYou should get the update now and it should install and reboot flawlessly. Hope this helps.

You may also need to reset the time to 12:30am.

stupiddroid

Reaction score
I've tried the fix above (Recovery, wipe cache partition, reinstall update). The phone reboots and the update seems to be installing then I get a message saying there isn't enough memory to install the update. I've currently got 169used/579MB free. I've uninstalled most apps I use, I'd rather not uninstall everything. Anyone else having this problem?

stupiddroid

Reaction score
I've tried the fix above (Recovery, wipe cache partition, reinstall update). The phone reboots and the update seems to be installing then I get a message saying there isn't enough memory to install the update. I've currently got 169used/579MB free. I've uninstalled most apps I use, I'd rather not uninstall everything. Anyone else having this problem?

Finally got it to install. If you're getting the insufficient storage message when you try to update, keep deleting stuff and eventually it should work. I had to get to 594/748MB free .

dirtymags

Reaction score
Finally got it to install. If you're getting the insufficient storage message when you try to update, keep deleting stuff and eventually it should work. I had to get to 594/748MB free .

594mb storage memory free/ 748 free..748 of what?

themather

Reaction score
Got it to work

Just thought I would share that I successfully used 1larryw's instructions and got the update to install.

I will add that I had to attempt the procedure a couple times. I still received a "storage space low" the first time, and then moved every possible app to the SD card and deleted a few others, then repeated the steps and it worked on the second try.

No storage or memory low messages since the update, though it's only been a day, so there's certainly still time for that.

Njlarson

Reaction score
I've done it multiple times but it still won't update. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

themather

Reaction score
I've done it multiple times but it still won't update. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

I would suggest removing as much as you can from the phone to the SD card or Dropbox or whatever. It seems like you need to "trick" the phone into thinking it has enough space so it will allow the update.

Altair

Reaction score
Does this method do anything to information stored on the phone, i.e., apps, contacts, photos?

tartancat

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my thanks and say that this worked perfectly for me. I had to change the date twice before it would give me the update. The first date change was only a month ahead. The second time I set it to a year and a day ahead.

I also used the free App2SD app from The Market to move all of my apps to the SDCard and clear my cache prior to starting these instructions. That was how I got rid of the "Low on space" message before beginning these steps.

Great knowledge share!

Last edited: