Second Gmail Account Icon?

mjsewell

Reaction score
Hello all! Longtime Droid owner, first time help seeker. After doing some web searches and not finding the answer I was looking for I thought I would ask the experts.

I added a second gmail account to my Droid. It syncs and I receive messages and notifications in the notification bar. But I still have only the one gmail icon. Only the messages in the original account show up when I open that icon. Is there a way to get a second gmail icon on my home screen so I can easily view the messages in the second account?

I'm coming from a BlackBerry that did this automatically so I think I just half expected the second gmail icon to just appear when I added the account on the phone.

Thanks!

bdawson21

Reaction score
i dont know about a second icon (maybe a shortcut created with bettercut?) but when ur gmail is open, hit the menu button and and then accounts. it will let you select ur other account from there. hope that helps.

iPirate

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, if you add another account does it have two inboxs or are the emails labeled base on the email account?

OpalCat

Reaction score
You have a menu to choose what account to view, and then you just see that account. Kind of like logging into your gmail accounts from your computer.

msteinhilber

Reaction score
I've been searching for the same thing. I run a small business and was previously using Exchange for my company e-mail and enjoyed having the corporate e-mail account button to easily access either my personal or business e-mail without having to switch accounts. Decided to go with Google Apps for my company e-mail since I was running Exchange out of my home and my connection isn't reliable enough at home to keep it going that way and hosted exchange from a reputable company is a bit more than I care to invest.

Would be nice to not have to choose which account to view. If I find a solution, I will be sure to post back.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I added a second gmail account to my Droid. It syncs and I receive messages and notifications in the notification bar. But I still have only the one gmail icon. Only the messages in the original account show up when I open that icon. Is there a way to get a second gmail icon on my home screen so I can easily view the messages in the second account?
Did you add the second gmail account to the gmail app or the Email app?

With Email you can place a shortcut to specific accounts. I don't see such an option for the gmail app. You can, however, create shortcuts for gmail labels.

I run a small business and was previously using Exchange for my company e-mail and enjoyed having the corporate e-mail account button to easily access either my personal or business e-mail without having to switch accounts
How was your personal email set up? Was it also an Exchange account?