Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Allow me to speculate and add more fuel to the fire...:icon_ poke:

Now this is total speculation on my part but what if...
Since the updates are "MANDATORY" if someone (or their device) refuses or blocks the update X amount of times the device is remotely shut down citing TOS violations?
Maybe it won't happen this time but with the way Motorola/Verizion are throwing up more roadblocks with each update possibly some thing to ponder in the future:icon_eek:

MotoCache1... I highly respect your opinion on the possibility of this.
It hasn't happened so far, and I doubt it will. I call attention to my earlier post regarding the first update rollout not being finished.

Even though it seems 99% of the techs working for Verizon are declaring phones bricked rather than, say, flashing a stock SBF onto the phone and restoring it to the customer, there are some out there doing it. Since it's impossible for any phone to "refuse" to update, how does the system know it's not simply a hardware reset/SBF flash/etc. causing it to need to update it regularly?

And yeah, I know, I said I gave up. I really meant it at the time... :)

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Allow me to speculate and add more fuel to the fire...:icon_ poke:

Now this is total speculation on my part but what if...
Since the updates are "MANDATORY" if someone (or their device) refuses or blocks the update X amount of times the device is remotely shut down citing TOS violations?
Maybe it won't happen this time but with the way Motorola/Verizion are throwing up more roadblocks with each update possibly some thing to ponder in the future:icon_eek:

MotoCache1... I highly respect your opinion on the possibility of this.
Here's why I'd guess against that being the case. The phone I just grabbed the "big" OTA file on (which is still FRG01B by the way, I checked) isn't tied to an account, has no service, isn't activated, etc. In other words, Verizon has no idea who's phone it is, and they pushed the update to it anyway. I'd guess that right now, if your device comes on air and says "Hey I'm a Verizon MOTA855", and you're not running this:

Code:
ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2 FRG01B 45394 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys

Then you'd get the push.

The hole in that theory is that I'm running this on my "live" phone:

Code:
ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2 FRG22 46998 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22/46998:user/release-keys

And no push of any kind has been attempted to it.

Perhaps those values are "legit" values that the system accepts as being "real FRG22" (and therefore not in need of upgrade), or perhaps they detect whether or not you need updating some other way.

In any event, as soon as I put the FRG22D leak on my DEV phone, within probably 5 minutes I saw the OTA start collecting in the /cache directory. Nothing on my live phone.

Who knows...

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
And all of this makes me wonder -- how long after all this will Skynet keep searching for phones running the "wrong" software and auto-update them. I have a brand new in box, never powered on MOTA855 sitting in it's box in the drawer with the battery uninstalled. It is my emergency spare in case I trash my live phone because I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with a locked down phone at this point (and I don't want a used one). If something horrible happened to my (insured) live Droid I'd probably take a DX or a D2 as a replacement, but I wouldn't activate it -- I'd hack on it. I'd put my emergency spare Droid into service, make my DEV Droid (which does have a good ESN) into my new emergency spare (because even though it was used it's pretty nice), and then hunt a new DEV Droid.

Anyway, I got sidetracked (I do that). My point of wonder is -- I know as soon as I power that pristine phone on that Skynet is going to try to reflash it to FRG01B. Since it is virgin, it has stock recovery, so it would take it. Sure it is "supposed" to ask you if you want to install it, but I've read the recovery system code and by no means do they have to prompt you first. If they just write [decided not to post the string] to [decided not to post the file] then guess what's happening when recovery loads (with no questions asked)?

I could put it in airplane mode as soon as it comes up, or I could just boot to the bootloader and replace the recovery with SPRecovery as its first thoughts upon waking. Or I could just let it update to FRG01B stock I suppose -- but it just seems wrong to let Skynet OTA you unless it is out of technological curiosity. I mean, what if some day they aren't extending the courtesy of prompting, and what they are pushing is a locked bootloader? Surprise! Your new phone that you just powered on is now locked. The bootloader is pretty darn small and wouldn't take long to receive...

In case anybody is confused by me calling Verizon "Skynet", that's just me being facetious. I refer to them that way when I'm intending to imply omnipresence, sinister motives, etc.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
And all of this makes me wonder -- how long after all this will Skynet keep searching for phones running the "wrong" software and auto-update them. I have a brand new in box, never powered on MOTA855 sitting in it's box in the drawer with the battery uninstalled. It is my emergency spare in case I trash my live phone because I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with a locked down phone at this point (and I don't want a used one). If something horrible happened to my (insured) live Droid I'd probably take a DX or a D2 as a replacement, but I wouldn't activate it -- I'd hack on it. I'd put my emergency spare Droid into service, make my DEV Droid (which does have a good ESN) into my new emergency spare (because even though it was used it's pretty nice), and then hunt a new DEV Droid.

Anyway, I got sidetracked (I do that). My point of wonder is -- I know as soon as I power that pristine phone on that Skynet is going to try to reflash it to FRG01B. Since it is virgin, it has stock recovery, so it would take it. Sure it is "supposed" to ask you if you want to install it, but I've read the recovery system code and by no means do they have to prompt you first. If they just write [decided not to post the string] to [decided not to post the file] then guess what's happening when recovery loads (with no questions asked)?

I could put it in airplane mode as soon as it comes up, or I could just boot to the bootloader and replace the recovery with SPRecovery as its first thoughts upon waking. Or I could just let it update to FRG01B stock I suppose -- but it just seems wrong to let Skynet OTA you unless it is out of technological curiosity. I mean, what if some day they aren't extending the courtesy of prompting, and what they are pushing is a locked bootloader? Surprise! Your new phone that you just powered on is now locked. The bootloader is pretty darn small and wouldn't take long to receive...

In case anybody is confused by me calling Verizon "Skynet", that's just me being facetious. I refer to them that way when I'm intending to imply omnipresence, sinister motives, etc.
A software-locked bootloader is a lot easier to break than a hardware-locked bootloader, and at this point it's closing the barn door after the horses have left since we have stock SBF files that over-flash the bootloader, but your point is valid. This 2C. 7C. bootloader is possibly a proof-of-concept idea, which is why it didn't go to EVERY phone hit with the OTA update.

But proof-of-concept is still an idea that's been had, and the fact that they're tinkering with it means they're aware of the problem (rooting) and have decided they need to close the door. If that door's getting closed sooner rather than later, those of us NOT tied in to it are safe, and the SBF files can still flash the phones to a state they can be rooted with an alternate recovery image, but that's not the main issue here.

The main issue is that Verizon now has the power to lock stock phones down, and hard. With your point about forced updates (I'm extrapolating here) and Verizon refusing functionality to phones that doesn't meet the build.prop or build fingerprint or whatever it is you have in those boxes, it raises some big issues. I don't think Verizon's ready for the major class-action lawsuit that will start beating on their doors if they do that. They might, though. I wouldn't put it past them. Those of us on custom ROMs would have few, if any, issues with that -- most of the ROMs are being updated with current code long before the official updates finish rolling out -- but those stubborn enough to stick with one built on old code might make life difficult for others as their brains explode at the thought of trying something new/different/possibly better.

They have the power, and the authority, to lock our bootloaders at any time, and they don't even have to give us the courtesy of lubing the finger up before giving us the exam. They always have had this authority; I don't remember reading any literature for Verizon toting the unlocked bootloader as a feature. If that's not reason enough for people to pull their heads out of their shells and at least TRY a custom ROM or two that blocks OTA updates in a manner more final than some have done (UD 6 comes to mind), I can't think of any others that would do it. I, for one, wouldn't want to have to keep flashing SBF files to put SPRecovery back on every time I reboot if they put a bootloader in without our knowing that pulls the same thing the Droid X does if you try to put unsigned software on it -- AKA a ROM. What if the next one has 128bit encryption? Yeah, it's software, but that's still a tough nut to crack.

Yay for the spectre of what might be flitting around our heads. Yay, I say!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Fur,

What makes no sense to me is why moto is spending any money at all trying to tweak a phone that is already at the end of its service life, and has been replaced by several new models. Throwing good money after bad comes to mind. There is the issue of perhaps rooted and broken phones hitting the bottom line, but I think most agree that the rooted folks make up a small percentage of the overall community. There was that little news item about VZW tech's getting bonused for spotting rooted bricks, so perhaps there is more to the supposition that we aren't that many.

If I screw the tin foil hat down real tight, perhaps I might suggest that as we have the romming/dev. community going crazy with an unlocked phone, perhaps VZW is taking the counter position by seeing what they can do from their side to an unlocked phone. Perhaps this is what you mean by proof of concept? Ooh, counter-intelligence maybe.

And if I dive down into my tin foil bunker, I can even imagine some programmer at VZW telling his boss, "hey, if we can shut down a big chunk of the hacking community that happens to be hacking our "old" phone, perhaps we can drive some of those evil hacking minds to go onto bigger and better things, like hacking pc's".

But as you noted, this horse is out of the barn, with no intentions on going back.

Craig

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I think moto only cared because of there crappy blur on the phone and other third party apps pre installed.

I think the only ones that still care about the Droid 1 are us and google.

And that's just fine with me :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I've gone and done a 360 on this thing. I've downloaded the "official" FRG022D and I'm pretty certain there is no way that is an official OTA download, I don't know what it is but it's not allowing me to view the market properly. Then someone in MDW gave a market fixed, but that changed the install completely from FRG22D.

This may be the same thing that Verizon is going to put out but right now to the best of my knowledge nobody except P3Droid has received it. So I went back to FRG01B AND I'll deal with this next update when more people report of receiving it OTA. Right now I don't see anybody reporting it and that does indeed worry me.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
They have the power, and the authority, to lock our bootloaders at any time, and they don't even have to give us the courtesy of lubing the finger up before giving us the exam. They always have had this authority; I don't remember reading any literature for Verizon toting the unlocked bootloader as a feature. If that's not reason enough for people to pull their heads out of their shells and at least TRY a custom ROM or two that blocks OTA updates in a manner more final than some have done (UD 6 comes to mind), I can't think of any others that would do it. I, for one, wouldn't want to have to keep flashing SBF files to put SPRecovery back on every time I reboot if they put a bootloader in without our knowing that pulls the same thing the Droid X does if you try to put unsigned software on it -- AKA a ROM. What if the next one has 128bit encryption? Yeah, it's software, but that's still a tough nut to crack.

Yay for the spectre of what might be flitting around our heads. Yay, I say!
As far as blocking OTA updates, of course you can run your phone with the stock ROM and still block OTA updates if you flash on just SPRecovery (and be sure to disable the Flash Recovery System so it stays there). It would basically be the same procedure as my "Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version" except you'd need an update.zip file that only disabled FRS instead of disabling FRS, and installing su and SuperUser.apk. If there was any sort of demand at all for that (a set of files to put on SPRecovery and disable FRS without rooting the phone) I'd be glad to put it together. I would just be removing the rooting part from the update.zip that I already built.

I know I'm just a paranoid, deranged lunatic, but personally, I have blocked OTA updates on every phone I've ever had that I could do it on (V710, LG eNV, etc.). I'm not sure when I last owned an unmodified phone, but I'm pretty sure it was my StarTac 7760 about 10 billion years ago or so (1 human year equals about a billion technology years -- kinda like "dog years" but worse). If I'm going to modify a phone to work the way I want, why the heck would I let someone else monkey around with it without me knowing about it?

Even if I was going to run a Droid completely stock I'd block OTA just so I could let the unwashed masses get the new OTA's first and then only install them once it looked like it was safe.

But that's me.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Hook,

If you parse P3's words carefully, it is possible to get the read that this is the OTA, but perhaps he did not get it via OTA. I actually missed the OTA part originally, assuming that he got the leak again from CZ. You should also note that P3 is absent from the MDW thread, and has not answered the one question about capturing OTA.

I have an answer to your last post on MDW. I downloaded Bill's market fix and took a look at it. All it does is change the build fingerprint in the build.prop file to FRF57, the N1 fingerprint. If the original file does contain the "proper" system files, then what you are running is FRF22D, with only the build.prop file changed in a a couple of lines to "trick" the market. Two lines in the build.prop do not channge the rest of the rom an it's features, just what market thinks you have. Of course this will likley bring the wrath of the current OTA down upon you, as the N1 fingerprint is not what the D1 VZW update check is expecting to see.

I too would like to think that if this file is indeed the "proper" one that will be released, and that it should, in its native coding support market and flash. Therefore, what I am going to do is install the entire file, and check market. If the market is broken, then I will perhaps try Bill's update to the build.prop, But I will make a copy of the original build.prop and periodically swap it back in to see if flash shows up. I still think that it is possible that the market is still not yet ready for FRF22D, or whatever the appropriate OTA is going to be.

And for everyone, by opening Bill's market fix update file and actually looking at it is the same thing I do with anything I put on the phone, to better understand what may be going on. Roms, update, fixes etc, open in 7zip and notepad ++ and look at the files by hand (or windows explorer). It saves me a lot of confusion.

Craig

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Bear in NM " FRG22D OTA hit me......" is pretty self explanatory.

There is some deception going on and hopefully he will clear it up. In the meantime I have posted disclaimers on the forum threads about the build.

Sent from my Droid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bear in NM " FRG22D OTA hit me......" is pretty self explanatory.

There is some deception going on and hopefully he will clear it up. In the meantime I have posted disclaimers on the forum threads about the build.

Sent from my Droid

I was just about to post the same thing! :)

"The new Droid 1 release FRG22D has been readied for development. I've received the OTA and already processed it for all would be devs and rooted users out there. It has busybox, SU, and Superuser.apk installed. Other than this the ROM is stock."