searching for gps

strubedo

Reaction score
About 4 or 5 days ago my phone starting saying searching for gps i did a factory restore without reinstalling all the apps but it still says searching for gps navigation works and it does the tearn by voice but in my house it constantly says searching for gps and never stops unless i go outside and then sometimes it says searching gps when im going down the road did an update come out thats not working or is verizon having issues?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I usually have my GPS turned off when I am not using it however I had it turned on yesterday for my Square app, and I noticed this too.

I was using no APPS and I had a notification that said it was searching for GPS.

Turned GPS off and it of course went away but thought it was weird.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I never work in the same place twice. I use GPS everyday to go to several places. No GPS issues for me. A GPS signal does not rely on VZW network. The network is used to help sync and to down load maps, but you will get a GPS signal without a network connection at all.

To see what you GPS signal is doing, down load GPS Status in the market. My stats for a never fail GPS signal. Ranges are generalities over time, locations etc. compare these to yours
Error 16-26ft
Fix 6/6 - 8/8
Time to fix 3 secs

To improve GPS performance. Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State>Reset, then do it all again but choose >Download last

AJInvestigator

Reaction score
I had that problem today when I went to Lubbock and really needed the GPS for navigation. Lubbock has 4G so I thought that was unusual. I will try the GPS status and see what I get. Thanks for the info.

nelsong1998

Reaction score
I have also had the same problem since i updgraded.

I searched for answers and got apps like GPS status and GPS fix and they both fix the GPS but only temporarily... It lasted only a couple hours for me.

I kept searching and found an app called GPS Doctor (its like 2 or 3 bucks on the market) and it seems to have fixed the problem... I downloaded it about 2 days ago and it is still working. My GPS is locked on as soon as i open Navigation.

Hopefully this app works for you guys too.

swilson143

Reaction score
Starting a few days ago, when my phone is sleeping and I press the button to wake it I see on the notification bar that it is searching for a GPS signal. It goes away in 1-3 seconds. Never seen this before and I've always had my GPS settings on. Not sure what changed.