Search button no longer "searches" (what did I do?)

RoyR80

Reaction score
Im not too sure exactly when this happened but my search button no longer works for "searching". i know the button functions, just not correctly. I never reassigned it to anything. im running the most current version of Google-search(G-voice search too). Are one of these known to be bugged rite now?

listenman20

Reaction score
what happens when you hold it for extended period? i see on mine the option for handcent quick compose or google voice search. just wonder if you had options there and it has been inadvertently set for a default to something other than google search? have to clear defaults in app manager if that's the case.

eliassami5

Reaction score
try going to your settings > applications > manage applications > all applications > google search > clear data and clear default if that option is not grey'd out

OP
RoyR80

RoyR80

Reaction score
what happens when you hold it for extended period? i see on mine the option for handcent quick compose or google voice search. just wonder if you had options there and it has been inadvertently set for a default to something other than google search? have to clear defaults in app manager if that's the case.

If i hold it i get options. (the ones u said, +1) if i tap the button its gives me the vibrate feedback. :-(

try going to your settings > applications > manage applications > all applications > google search > clear data and clear default if that option is not grey'd out

thank you, i tried this, no success. :-(

(not that i fully understand what it does) but i also ran "fix permissions" through Clockwork.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Mine has two functions...

A quick tap brings up Google Search and the onscreen keyboard.

A long press brings up the new Google Voice Search.

What is yours doing?

OP
RoyR80

RoyR80

Reaction score
Mine has two functions...

A quick tap brings up Google Search and the onscreen keyboard.

A long press brings up the new Google Voice Search.

What is yours doing?

I've lost the quick tap function. (the button gives me a vibrate, so i know the tap works) it just doesn't do anything. I can long press and get my options, as usual. I've unistalled both Google search app, and re-installed. (no success)

My last resort (in 2days) will to be reflash the ROM, and install apps/update one at a time and see if one is jinky. :-/

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mount /system and try this command:

ln -s /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox*.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

then unmount and reboot

OP
RoyR80

RoyR80

Reaction score

ln -s /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox*.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

then unmount and reboot

Terminal Emulator commands? (sorry im trying to learn fast) ;-)
Is this exactly how's its supposed to be typed? thx for the patience. :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

then unmount and reboot

No patience needed! I was in the same boat... This problem happened with Sapphire 1.1.1, and some users of Sapphire (pdroid, skull_one, shiodooru) figured out you can make a symlink to get it to work again (assuming it's the same problem, which it sure sounds like it). I'm just a messenger!

The easiest way to mount /system if you don't want to mess with the commands is to open Root Explorer, go into the /system directory, then at the top right click "Mount R/W". Then switch over to terminal emulator, type "su" and allow superuser access, then type that full line exactly how it is above. I *think* that's all you should have to do... reboot, and see if it worked.

OP
RoyR80

RoyR80

Reaction score

then unmount and reboot

No patience needed! I was in the same boat... This problem happened with Sapphire 1.1.1, and some users of Sapphire (pdroid, skull_one, shiodooru) figured out you can make a symlink to get it to work again (assuming it's the same problem, which it sure sounds like it). I'm just a messenger!

The easiest way to mount /system if you don't want to mess with the commands is to open Root Explorer, go into the /system directory, then at the top right click "Mount R/W". Then switch over to terminal emulator, type "su" and allow superuser access, then type that full line exactly how it is above. I *think* that's all you should have to do... reboot, and see if it worked.

Thanks for the assistance. i currently can't get root manger. :-( (my fone isn't allowed service in my location. :-/ (is that a paid app btw?)

"ln -s /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox*.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk"

just so im clear, after i do the root manager thing (providing its a free app) :-(is the red line (in between quotes) what im to type, spaces included, where they fall in to place in the quotes?)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, then go into terminal emulator, type "su" and allow access, then type the following lines exactly as they're laid out:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Obviously, hit enter after each line - it should work, but if not, report back the error.

OP
RoyR80

RoyR80

Reaction score
thank you

Ok, then go into terminal emulator, type "su" and allow access, then type the following lines exactly as they're laid out:

Obviously, hit enter after each line - it should work, but if not, report back

Thank you, u are a semi-god amongst peon's. :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Obviously, hit enter after each line - it should work, but if not, report back

Thank you, u are a semi-god amongst peon's. :)

don't thank me - thank the guys i mentioned above that figured it out for sapphire!