Search button doesn't activate google search

Diab210

Reaction score
I noticed after running Sapphire for a week that the search button didn't work. After doing a little playing around, I also noticed that google search and google voice apps were not installed on my phone so I reinstalled them from the market and they seem to work fine however neither are bound to the search button on the front screen of my droid. I just did a fresh install (wiped -> insalled sapphire -> installed the gapps file) and still needed to grab search and voice from the market; they still are not tied to the search softkey. Is anyone else having a similar issue and is there a way to fix it or is this just a side affect of running Sapphire?

captdroid

Reaction score
I noticed after running Sapphire for a week that the search button didn't work. After doing a little playing around, I also noticed that google search and google voice apps were not installed on my phone so I reinstalled them from the market and they seem to work fine however neither are bound to the search button on the front screen of my droid. I just did a fresh install (wiped -> insalled sapphire -> installed the gapps file) and still needed to grab search and voice from the market; they still are not tied to the search softkey. Is anyone else having a similar issue and is there a way to fix it or is this just a side affect of running Sapphire?

You have to move the google voice search apk to /system/app

Use root explorer and set permissions same as other apps in this /system/app folder

There is another way to create a symbolic link so it works but I don't bother with that since I am usually in root explorer moving and cleaning things up anyways :) Once you move the apk, clear dalvik cache using clockworkmod under advanced menu and reboot.

Last edited:
OP
Diab210

Diab210

Reaction score
I've never played around with root explorer but it sounds simple enough. I will have to give it a shot when I get home tonight. I'm guessing you would do the same type of thing for google search so it works on short press and google voice so it works on on long press?

This could be a silly question but if you don't have clockworkmod (using spr recovery) how can you go clearing the davlik cache? Regardless thanks for the help Captdroid!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

maslan

Reaction score
I have same issue now that i check. Search button on front of phone does nothing now?? There a fix for this for 1.1.1??

maslan

Reaction score
Just looked in Bug Tracker and see this has been reported over 2 months ago and still not fixed?? These guys are normally on top of bugs like this -- maybe they should say why taking so long?

captdroid

Reaction score
I've never played around with root explorer but it sounds simple enough. I will have to give it a shot when I get home tonight. I'm guessing you would do the same type of thing for google search so it works on short press and google voice so it works on on long press?

This could be a silly question but if you don't have clockworkmod (using spr recovery) how can you go clearing the davlik cache? Regardless thanks for the help Captdroid!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

The Google search app you downloaded from the market which needs to be moved from /data/app to /system/app is called GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk or something very close to that name. Here is the other way to accomplish without moving it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvpcs/89969-google-search-button-broken.html

Any apps can be moved from /data/app to /system/app just keep in mind that when those moved apps get updated from the market it will update a new one to /data/app not /system/app so you will have to move it again.

Here is another way to clear Dalvik cache: Wipe dalvik cache in Terminal, Andriod.

Make a backup before tinkering :)