SDCard shows damaged - Is there a way to go back to Virgin w/out SDCard?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Stormwulf, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Stormwulf

Stormwulf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have a clue as to what happened to the sdcard in my Droid. Did a reboot earlier and when the system was back up, it gave a notification that that sdcard was damaged and did I want to format, having no other choice, I formated, but did not help.

Is there a way to use adb through recovery to restore a vigin-oem back-up? If not, I guess I be buying a new sdcard and trying to restore with it.

Edit: This is the 2nd one I have had that has given me problems with the sdcard. And yes, I am always careful to un-mount when I am done transferring files to or from comp.

2. vpshockwave

vpshockwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure the recovery is set to only look for images/backups on the SDcard, so if the SD card is screwed, I think you might be out of luck. There might me a much more longer drawn out process to do it without using the recovery system, but I'm not aware of such a process yet.

3. Stormwulf

Stormwulf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I kinda thought as much. Guess I'll pick up a small 2g micro tomorrow and see how it goes. Its seen some heavy useage over the past couple weeks, but really shouldn't have just died. Considering this is the 2nd sdcard one I've had to belly up on me.

4. m21knight

m21knight Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You should try to pick up a higher class card...the one included with the phone is a class 2. I know that the higher number indicates an increase in data speed...I suspect though that its a higher quality device as well.

5. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i agree, i think the best is a class 6, IMO if your gonna shell out $ for another sd, screw the 2g and get a top of the line 16,
    32g micro are sooo close.:icon_ banana: cant wait

6. Stormwulf

Stormwulf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah... Class 2 eh? Ok. When I first started researching the sd cards I was seeing people stating they were class 6.

Anyway, after doing further research I see that class 6 will in effect burn through faster than say a slower speed with heavier usage. I won't say that I expect to have heavy usage, but I have been doing a lot of trial stuff moving files back and forth from comp to card.

One of the major things I found out, is that when unmounting the sd card, it really, really needs to be "ejected" or whatever term your OS uses to unmount the card from the OS before unmounting on the phone itself. I found a lot of documentation regarding this since the Droid has been out.

Seems the OS sees the sd card as a drive rather than a storage device.

Since I first posted this, I have made an exchange for a new Droid because of the card and some other things the Droid wasn't behaving at.

Thanks for the heads up about the class of stock card.

7. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    It has nothing to do with quality, just data transfer speeds. A class 6 card is much faster, yes, but it's not going to last any longer. Flash memory does tend to wear out.

8. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem

I just reformatted it from the menu's and it was a-ok

I think mine happened when I pulled it off of the docking station (hooked up to the computer)

I lost everything on it, including christmas photos, but it salvaged it

9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Droid 'supports' Class 6 cards. But at this point Class 4 is really all you need. Even when/if we get the ability to run apps from the SD card Class 4 will be fine (the extra throughput of Class 6 is really only useful if you're dealing with LARGE files like HD video). And the $$ difference between them isn't really worth it (unless you happen to find the Class 6 on sale). These cards do burn out after a bit so if/when we get App2SD be cautious with how much you us it.