Sdcard not present

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kaboyd, Feb 26, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running SmokedGlass v 4.5 and blue Droid matrix bootanimation. When I start my phone it will cycle through the bootanimation normal as it should, but when the lock screen open and the notification bar shows "preparing sdcard" it gets stuck in a boot cycle and reboots four or five times. After the phone finally starts about 80% of the time the sdcard will not show being mounted in the phone, and I must go through the start cycle all over again. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix suggestions?
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you overclocked? I had a similar problem with a reboot loop and I ended up having to leave it charging on USB for awhile (left it alone to cool down).
  3. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that may be the problem so I set it back to 550 but it is doing i anyway. The temp rarely gets over 100°f so I don't think that's the problem, but I'm not solid on that
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you leave the phone at 550Mhz, plugged into USB, boot it up and don't even unlock the screen for, say, 30 min or so?

Sometimes it takes a LONG time to mount the SD card, especially if you have a number of sudden reboots. I believe that it runs filesystem checks if the card isn't unmounted cleanly, so it might be good to let it just sit there and do that for awhile (if that's what it's doing).
  5. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Next time it happens I'll do that. Thanks
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, this isn't actually STUCK in a loop?

I would definitely blame it on the overclock, then. How high were you overclocked?
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I had a similar problem with my SD card. My phone would boot but I had the message preparing SD card. I was very new to the Droid so I took my phone to a VZW store. They took the SD card and reformatted the card. I've been fine ever since.

Sadly, I caused the problem myself. I use a Mac. When I mount my phone a icon appears on my desktop as "no name" which is my phone. The first time I connected phone and computer, I did not click "no name" and select "eject" Instead, I used the notification bar and opened the USB and taped TurnOff. Now, I always "eject" and I've not had any other problems

Not sure if your issue is the same.

Mike
  8. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, it boot loops for about 5 - 10 cycles before the phone finally starts. Them I find that my sdcard isn't mounted so I have to power off again. It takes eight or so times before I get it powered with the card recognised. It's not stuck, but it's a 30 min process to turn phone on. I was running at 1Ghz the first time it happened and over the course of the day I lowered it by 100 Mhz increments until I arrived back at the stock 550 Mhz. Still acting up this morning though.
  9. lmt1979

lmt1979 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem

Disable USB Debugging-Settings, Applications, Development

Just unmount the card while the phone is on. Turn phone Off, pop the SD Card out, put it into your PC and back up anything you want to keep
    Format it as FAT 32, the MAKE SURE TO Eject/Unmount the Card. Pop it Back in the phone. This should fix your multiple reboots, I had the same problem

No Problems since. And remember, you MUST UNMOUNT at the PC and the Phone. If you don't you'll corrupt the data real fast and in a hurry.

And I'm overclocking with no problems I really really think it's where I had the USB debugging enabled when I was using adb in the SDK software.

Hope this helps.
  10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm struggling to figure out how OC could cause the SD card not to be recognized. Admittedly, my knowledge is limited in OS, but I thought that tho OS recognized the SD card like any other file/folder. If thats the case, then it seems to me that the problem lies with the card. If you mount the phone or use Astro are you able to see the card? If so, do you see any files/folder that looks out-of-place?
    Sorry I do not have any other suggestions or recommendations.

Mike
  11. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if the loop problem and the sdcard have anything to do with each other in going to backup and format the card when I get home tonight. I'll know more then. Thanks for the input everyone.
  12. lmt1979

lmt1979 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I formatted the card because there were a couple of times I thought I might have "prematurely ejected" it and was worried about corruption. Linux and Mac OS seem much more sensitive to just popping out flash drives unlike Windows where you can get away with it.

I then noticed I had left on the USB debugging so try the format after you've backed up and disabled USB debugging. My 4.5 smoked glass was doing that rebooting BS and this fixed it I boot in about 45 secs now. And most important I don't see my desktop 3 or 4 times as it reboots..just once lol.
  13. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be a success. I formated the card and turned off debugging mode. Runs as it should. Thanks for all the help.:hail:
Search tags for this page
droid razr m sd card unmounted or not present

droid sd card unmounted or not present

htc g2 sd card unmounted or not present
my droid x says my sd card isn't present
sd card is not present
sd card not mounted or not present android

sd card not present

sd card not present android

sd card unmounted or not present

sd card unmounted or not present g2