SD Cards Damaged Message....

BostonDroid

Reaction score
Hello,

This morning I woke up to a message in the notifications bar menu saying: "SD Card damaged. You may have to reformat it."

If I click on it, it gives me an option to completely reformat the card... WTF? Any ideas? Thanks for your advise.

No new apps and the phone has not gotten wet in any way.

tktouch12

Reaction score
Wow, that would be extremely annoying. I would put it in a card reader into my computer and run tests on it there.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd start with the basics. Reset the phone, if that didn't work try a battery pull. I don't suppose I have to tell you what reformatting the card does.

OP
B

BostonDroid

Reaction score
Oh I undrstand what formating would do to the card....lol I've tried the battery pull as well as the sd carfd pull and no success... I thin k what mikght have happened is this... last night I. Tried to download a new skin for the beautifuk weather widget and when I clicked on "install skins" it kept saying that it was loading new skins....it would just load and load and load without actually showing the skins....while waiting to load the skins, I fell a sleep...lol this m/orning when I got up, I turned the phone back on to find it still loading the skins...:icon_eek: so I ended up having to do a battery pull and when it turned back on is when. I got the error message...:icon_evil: sorry for the grammar and spellin g errors...typing with the physical keyboard from the phone...

rp683

Reaction score
Hello,

This morning I woke up to a message in the notifications bar menu saying: "SD Card damaged. You may have to reformat it."

If I click on it, it gives me an option to completely reformat the card... WTF? Any ideas? Thanks for your advise.

Happened to me too recently, lost all my pictures and videos.

djstarion

Reaction score
I had that happen once. Threw it in a card reader, and it loaded fine, so I copied all my stuff over, reformatted my SD card, then copied everything back.

OP
B

BostonDroid

Reaction score
I had that happen once. Threw it in a card reader, and it loaded fine, so I copied all my stuff over, reformatted my SD card, then copied everything back.
What kind of card reader do I need and where do I get it? I gotta bunch of pics that I'd hate to lose...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You just need a normal all in one card reader. The new sandisk card readers have microSD readers on them, or you can get a microSD card reader only. Sometimes even just taking the card out, restarting the device, then putting it back in and restarting it again will allow you to continue on your way. But at any rate i'd buy the card reader, they usually run 10-15 bucks and it's nice to have around for other cards when you have cameras, cam corders, and other equipment.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Hello,

Copy all of the files on your SD card to your computer. Then go to the option in the Droid's menus and completely erase the SD card and restore it to how it was when it came with your Droid. Mount it again, copy all the files over, and you'll be good to go.

crspang

Reaction score
If you plug the phone in your computer will it allow you to mount the card? If so will your pc read the card? if it does then copy your info to your and unmount the card and then reformat. then reload.

OP
B

BostonDroid

Reaction score
Well...it ended up working out well. I plugged the phone into the computer and all the stuff was on there still. I backed it all up and then went and clicked to format the drive. I don't think it actually formatted the drive since it didn't appear to do anything, but the notification is now gone. Will see... Thanks a lot for all your help!

Reaction score
Are you using a custom ROM with compcache or Droid Swap by chance? I've heard of those causing this same issue, even though it seems there is no damage done to the card.

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Okay, this happened to me as well when I was trying to get Songbird to synch. No biggie as I didn't have many pictures at the time. However, I have rooted and installed BB. Have I now lost all of my back-up stuff fro my original 2.0.1 image? If so, how can I go back to factory even if it is a complete factory reset?

Pitlith

Reaction score
Did a quick search and found this thread. My phone gave me the SD card error message this morning. Not running any roms and have minimal apps, games, etc. Appreciate the ideas on here and will try to back up later on and see if that works. Thanks guys