SD card?

NYCMOM

Reaction score
Is there a brand specific micro sd card that will go well with this Droid 4? I am looking to get the 32GB but there are different versions and different prices....Patriot PSF32GMCSDHC10 microSDHC Flash Card - 32GB, Class 10 is one that I was looking to get... but is it compatiable.... I know nothing of the different SD cards and what they do other than hold information... So what is a microSDHC Flash Card and does it do what I need it for in the Droid 4.... and what should I be getting? Thank you..

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which ones will actually work but I know the best brand is sandisk hands down then maybe Kingston ones

anhanymouse

Reaction score
Any should work. Amazon has 32G trancend class 4 for 23.99 as a gold box deal today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Any should work. Amazon has 32G trancend class 4 for 23.99 as a gold box deal today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I almost got that one, but when I went to checkout standard shipping was over $8. I went to Newegg instead and got a Sandisk for 30.99 with free shipping.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

nitrate28

Reaction score
I almost got that one, but when I went to checkout standard shipping was over $8. I went to Newegg instead and got a Sandisk for 30.99 with free shipping.

Sandisk Mobile Ultra Get more speed (up to 30 MB/sec¹ and enabled Class 6) for faster photo, Full HD[SUP]†[/SUP] video and app performance on your mobile phone or tablet with SanDisk Mobile Ultra™ microSDHC™ memory cards.
Capacities up to 32 GB*

More speed? it's twice the price of their regular cards!

And thanks for the newegg pricing. I was about to pay 34.99 at something called cellphoneshop.net.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
I read something the other day that said that high of a class isn't useful unless you put in a high-end camera or something. Apparently a class 4 is optimal for mobile phones since the have better random access speeds than a high class card, which has better straight rad/write speed or something like that.

nitrate28

Reaction score
That's what I figured. I have a higher end card form my Canon digital body. All I know is this $31 card gives me a 1080p camera with about 2 hours of recording time!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read something the other day that said that high of a class isn't useful unless you put in a high-end camera or something. Apparently a class 4 is optimal for mobile phones since the have better random access speeds than a high class card, which has better straight rad/write speed or something like that.

somewhat, i think a class 6 is probably the best for mobile phones though it is really expensive, a class 10 is just way overkill...btw in case anyone didnt know the class refers to exactly how fast the write speeds are (class 2= minimum of 2 mb/s write, class 4= minimum of 4 mb/s, class 6= minimum of 6 mb/s, class 10= at least a minimum of 10 mb/s)

DJGeorge

Reaction score
ADATA UHS-1 32G SD card kills connectivity in Droid 4

I just ran into an issue with an ADATA UHS-1 32G SD card in a Droid 4.

I had just received the phone yesterday and it seemed to be working properly until I installed this SD card. When I powered the phone up, the SD card worked fine. I had preloaded it on my PC and was able to access all the data on my phone. But then I noticed that the wireless connectivity was messed up! Phone showed no connection, red circle with slash. I powered off and back on and it had a bit of connection for a minute or two and then lost it. Repeated several times and same result. Removed the SD card, phone worked fine. Put it back in and same issues observed. I then installed an 8G SD card from an old Windows phone I had and things are working fine.

From the NewEgg ad : "UHS-I is the new standard for higher-speed bus interfaces defined by the SD Association as part of the SD Memory Card Specification Ver. 3.01, which provides up to 104 MB/s performance. ADATA’s microSDHC UHS-I memory card is an ideal solution for the storage and multi-tasking performance of your smart phones and tablet computers need."

There appears to be some sort of issue with this high speed SD card in the Droid 4. Not sure if it was unique to the SD card I have or not. This was pretty expensive > $50 from NewEgg so I'd avoid them, especially if the high speed interface is not much of an advantage in your application.

Update:

After having lived with the Droid 4 for a week now, I am still seeing fairly frequent lost connectivity even with the "working" 8G SD card so I may go back and retry the 32G that seemed to causing serious loss in connectivity. While I do think there may be more issues when the larger / faster SD card is installed, I don't know that things are quite as black & white as it first seemed.

Last edited: