SD Card - What is lost.dir?

fatflatfly

Reaction score
As far as I can tell with my Mac it creates hidden folders called. .trashes and one other hidden folder not the LOST the one

iGGz

Reaction score
Googled this question and this thread was at top. And I agree with you 100%, thanks for the straightforward answer.

Why wouldn't you want to delete the contents of this folder? Why would I want to keep something I obviously don't need? I'm really surprised it was a Mod who was questioning the question.

Well,

as far as the LOST will not smoke up like 50MB its no problem, and i never saw it reaching that.

Ok, that's just not true. Please don't give false information. 1 minute ago, I emptied my LOST.DIR folder out, and it was approaching 3 Gigs.

I only use a Mac, and I connect it all the time to the Droid.

The guy simply asked a question, and he's gotten a bunch of grief over "if" it's ok to delete the contents or not. The quick answer is yes, as long as you don't wish to recover any of the files that you have transferred during your connection to the Mac.

Sorry the community had to go Freudian on you to answer a simple question.

Merry Christmas! Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just deleted the contents in mine at 7.2GB and am experiencing zero issues with the phone.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Was wondering the same thing yesterday never connected to a mac either but i only connect to ubuntu anyway seems to have old photos in it and stuff for me nothing i need so deleting mine as well

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tonight was actually my first experience with Linux outside of the very short exposure I got in school and I am actually very pleased with the result. It saved my booty tonight with my new DX. I got it today and tried to flash to GB but it kept boot looping and after finally getting passed that is was issue after issue. I wiped and all during install.

So I tried to SBF and what a journey that was. Being that I forgot to DL the SBF from TBH before flashing (which I do on every device I have) I had few options....after digging I found this thread which saved my butt.....seriously.

Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

Dude I even changed the link in my sig for SBF'ing the DX after my experience with this. I was pretty upset with the fact that the walkthrough I had posted to SBF your DX didn't work for me. I ended up testing all the rest with friends after it failed.

piyush11

Reaction score
LOST.DIR is a system folder.

The Lost.dir is a system folder. Its a place where the Android OS places files that were recovered during a system boot up (ie when you turn on your phone). It is analogous to the 'Recycle Bin' under Windows OS. The files which are stored inside this directory are often recoverable. Its OK to delete the files created in LOST.DIR or the folder itself. If you delete the folder it will be recreated automatically in the next system boot up. More in-depth info here - All You Need To Know About Lost.dir | What is Lost.Dir :)