SD card problems

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ok so i took my 16gb sd card from my droid 2 and put it on my droid 3. the phone reads it and all with no problem. the problem is that it doesnt show all of the actual files and folders i have in that card. for example, it only shows the system ones that get copied onto it. to see the files using es file explorer. i have to first go to the system files then look for a folder called sdcard_ext

shiek403

Reaction score
i am having a similar problem... but my gallery can access them, but all my apps that have their data backed up to the sd card cant read it... it says its not there...
please help :D

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i am having a similar problem... but my gallery can access them, but all my apps that have their data backed up to the sd card cant read it... it says its not there...
please help :D
exactly what i am experiencing

bigdad63

Reaction score
anyone know how to make MY sd card the default?

I can't remember if it was your question I answered on the other thread, but the only vz rep I trust said that only media can be read from the sd card (when I had the same prob with my short-lived X2). I had to physically put the apks in the corresponding folder to get them to work.

drewlamo1

Reaction score
you gotta copy all the files from sdcard-ext into sdcard i think for any app that needs sdcard info.

like i had to copy launcherpro backup folder over to restore it with the app

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you gotta copy all the files from sdcard-ext into sdcard i think for any app that needs sdcard info.

like i had to copy launcherpro backup folder over to restore it with the app

It wouldn't let me move my folders...it was acting like they were read only files

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mattbooty

Reaction score
I did this as well, launcher pro, acar, and some golf apps that had data backed up or exported to sd card, I just copied the contents of sd-ext/data to sdcard/data and they restored/imported (although launcher didn't restore all of my home screen icons, all of the settings and launcher/dock were restored).

shiek403

Reaction score
for those of you who are having this issue here is the fix
1. just plug ur phone into ur comp, 2 external drives will show up
2. move the files off the root of ur sd card
3. move them to the root of the other one
4. ????
5. Profit

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
so im guessin we're being forced into using the internal storage first =/

Raptor007

Reaction score
That is stupid of Moto, just because they don't include a microSD card doesn't mean the OS shouldn't be smart enough to map to an microSD slot once a card is detected or give you an option to choose.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That is stupid of Moto, just because they don't include a microSD card doesn't mean the OS shouldn't be smart enough to map to an microSD slot once a card is detected or give you an option to choose.

Exactly what I was thinking. What if I want to use my physical SD card as the primary

Raidy

Reaction score
Seems to be the new "method" used now, I had the same issue on the X2. The internal memory is partioned so a piece of it maps as /sdcard while the actual sdcard maps as /sdcard-ext.

Any application that writes to /sdcard can't tell the difference and won't read/write to the actual sdcard.. Sux for sure, I guess the devs of each app will have to adjust their code.

Sent from my GTablet using DroidForums

Fr33dom

Reaction score
My guess is that there is an internal SD that is getting mounted to /sdcard.

Seems to be the new "method" used now, I had the same issue on the X2. The internal memory is partioned so a piece of it maps as /sdcard while the actual sdcard maps as /sdcard-ext.

Any application that writes to /sdcard can't tell the difference and won't read/write to the actual sdcard.. Sux for sure, I guess the devs of each app will have to adjust their code.

Sent from my GTablet using DroidForums

JVSEDI

Reaction score
This is similar problem I am having with my SD Card. I had made up folders in it for all my pictures when it was in my OG Droid....now when I put it in the Droid 3 all the pictures show up lumped together in the Gallery. All the folders are still there in the sd_ext file. How can I get them to show up in my Gallery in their perspective folders. Any help is greatly appreciated as this took me so much time to organize them and I hate to lose it all and do not want to have to go through all pictures to find what I need.