Sd card problem

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
The DROID is supposed to go up to 32GB.

I've never seen an external HDD or external solid-state memory formatted as NTFS. Reason being? What if you have a MAC or are running Linux, etc. They are all in FAT32.

- Mega

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The DROID is supposed to go up to 32GB.

I've never seen an external HDD or external solid-state memory formatted as NTFS. Reason being? What if you have a MAC or are running Linux, etc. They are all in FAT32.

- Mega

I just recently purchased a new 320gb WD passport external, I first connected it in Win7 and it showed up as NTFS. From my experience, and from across a bit of info I saw through my troubles of trying to retrieve files from a BSoD windows through Linux, the external was NTFS. I had to download Swissknife and format it to FAT32.

Last edited:

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a new 320gb WD passport external, I first installed it in Win7 and it showed up as NTFS...

If that's the case Dezy--then I stand corrected. :)

- Mega

EDIT:
Damn, that's just really weird something would come formatted with NTFS out-of-the-box when I think more about it. I worked with HDD OEMs in a past life and never once did I hear them say they'd do something like that. Maybe it was something like a "Designed For Windows 7" type of thing?

Last edited:

rlandon

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere (i believe on this forum as well) it is expandable up to 32gb, of course I could be wrong.

I believe it is. Several other phones will handle 32gb, but wasn't sure on the android OS or the Droid. I'll be trying it once they release the cards.

and SD card is read as FAT32, usually an external HDD is formatted for NTFS if it's 32gb+, I think. Most external HDD are formated for NTFS though, which I don't think the Droid will read. I'm not even sure if the Droid can read an external to be honest, interesting concept....Looking to put movies on your Droid from an external HDD?

I'd go blind trying to watch a movie on this size screen. My eyes are bad enough. :D My intent was to be able to access work files from the Droid using D2G while out on the road, without having to use the laptop. I could transfer doc's from emails and update to the drive. Porbably many other uses.

edit: If your external HDD is NTFS, and you want to convert it to FAT32 cause of more advantages of the format, use a program called Swissknife.
CompuApps, Inc. - Download Swissknife

This program can format your drive to FAT32 or NTFS, however you want it.

My work drive is FAT32 I believe. Never really checked.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread, OP.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just recently purchased a new 320gb WD passport external, I first installed it in Win7 and it showed up as NTFS...

If that's the case Dezy--then I stand corrected. :)

- Mega

EDIT:
Damn, that's just really weird something would come formatted with NTFS out-of-the-box when I think more about it. I worked with HDD OEMs in a past life and never once did I hear them say they'd do something like that. Maybe it was something like a "Designed For Windows 7" type of thing?

Haha it's ok. In your past life I guess computers weren't so advanced =P.
But really the computer industry changes on like a 2 week basis, quite annoying now. But yes, I do recall reading that if it's like 32gb+ it's no longer FAT32, but NTFS. NTFS can hold more information that FAT32 can, so I guess that's how they get the most out of their drive now.

edit: I also put the drive into my netbook which runs XP, show as NTFS as well.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
...In your past life I guess computers weren't so advanced...

LOL I'm not that damn old! LOL

<Quickly ALT-Tabbing Before Wife Sees What I Wrote & Immediately Contradicts Me>

Looks like I have some studying / refreshing to do since I've been out of the HDD game for three years. In the meantime, I'm off to put my kids to bed. TTYL

- Mega

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
...In your past life I guess computers weren't so advanced...

LOL I'm not that damn old! LOL

<Quickly ALT-Tabbing Before Wife Sees What I Wrote & Immediately Contradicts Me>

Looks like I have some studying / refreshing to do since I've been out of the HDD game for three years. In the meantime, I'm off to put my kids to bed. TTYL

- Mega

HAHAHA just messin around.

Wow you been out of the game for 3 years huh, that's plenty of info to soak in then. Alot has been happening in 3 years, dare i mention SSDs? LOL.

Good to know you know about computers though, I wish alot more people did. Especially with how much as a society we rely on computers now, just another thing for people to take for granted /sigh.

rlandon

Reaction score
Just checked both my Lacie and WD external drives and they are both FAT32. My laptop is Vista 64 and server is Vista Ultimate, soon to be Win7 Ultimate once I get the time away from my Droid, ha!

The thing that I wonder about is the external hd ROM forcing the OS to add the drivers. I doubt it has Android, but could it see it? I may go buy a male mini usb to male micro usb and see what it does. Worth a shot (or brick......).

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
what is the sd card..b4 u give me a smart a-- answer, just tell me what it is
is it my usb connector
if you give a smart a-- answer ill get a mod on you and report your post

LOL......:icon_ banana: