SD card problem

jamesedwards0579

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
jamesedwards
Hey All,

I don't know what I did. I previously rooted my phone, and everything worked nice for a couple of weeks, then one day I see some update being installed and suddenly the phones going nuts and wont read my external HD drive.

To cut a long story short, I had to reinstall the original firmware on my galaxy grand prime Z, and I have discovered I don't think it was the firmware at all, it was the SD card itself.

I've tried reformatting with the phone, via the PC, and even tried minitool partition, and cmd>chkdsk H: /F which tells me it sees an error, but choosing y to fix it does nothing.

I have seen some other tutorial on going through cmd and typing something else, but the only two drive volumes I get are my two internal harddrives. It's like it wont even look for a 3rd one.

The card is a Lexar, 32 gig, 633x micro SD. and I partitioned it a few weeks back for root reasons etc... however, now, nothing will erase and it wont reformat.

I run a format through right click, the regular way, (yes im selecting fat32) and it tells me windows can't reformat it. I try with the minitool partition, it says it's completed the process, but it hasn't as it refreshes and all the data that was there remains. and even just going to H:/ (it's name) and manually deleting folders does no good, as it deletes them, and looks like it worked, but when you open the card again everything is still there. yet there is not error or message saying it can't delete anything.

The only other info I keep coming across is dodgy looking posts about downloading this and that tool.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes that might work before I just give in and have to buy a new one? lol

Thanks

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had something similar happen to me a while back with a nice SD card and nothing would read it, format it, repair it, etc. So I bought a new one. For the price it's probably easier in the long run.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
did you check the folders permissions to see if they are read/right? because if they are just read, they won't delete though formatting should have taken care of them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think with all the Disk Check & repair options already run that folders aren't the problem. It's not impossible, but unlikely that a Command Prompt disk check would be halted by folder permission. I think the card is just dead.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I think with all the Disk Check & repair options already run that folders aren't the problem. It's not impossible, but unlikely that a Command Prompt disk check would be halted by folder permission. I think the card is just dead.

It is still something to check. the card is on life support until all options are considered.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It is still something to check. the card is on life support until all options are considered.

Nope. It's dead. Too much hassle over a < $15 SD card

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Not dead as long as you can see folders on the card. last word was he is able to see the folder. dead means cannot even open or mount the card.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thought I mentioned it, guess I didn't but check the left side of the card and see if there is a tiny switch. if it is up toggle it down. if up you cannot do a thing on the card, not even format.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thought I mentioned it, guess I didn't but check the left side of the card and see if there is a tiny switch. if it is up toggle it down. if up you cannot do a thing on the card, not even format.
This is comical. You & I are the only ones posting here. The OP hasn't been back since the original post. I think it's safe to assume that he either fixed the card or bought a new one and moved on.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
This is comical. You & I are the only ones posting here. The OP hasn't been back since the original post. I think it's safe to assume that he either fixed the card or bought a new one and moved on.

there are options to try if someone else comes to the forum looking for help with similar problems and does a search

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
True, that is true. But...if an SD card causes errors on your phone, Windows will not format it, Android cannot format it, and you run a CHKDSK command and that cannot repair or format it...would you trust it to ever work correctly again? Would you trust your personal files on that card again? I know I would not. They are so inexpensive these days I wouldn't trust a card like that, it would be bye-bye and a new one would have already been delivered by an Amazon drone and in my device. :D

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
True, that is true. But...if an SD card causes errors on your phone, Windows will not format it, Android cannot format it, and you run a CHKDSK command and that cannot repair or format it...would you trust it to ever work correctly again? Would you trust your personal files on that card again? I know I would not. They are so inexpensive these days I wouldn't trust a card like that, it would be bye-bye and a new one would have already been delivered by an Amazon drone and in my device. :D

would I trust the card? yes I would depending on the problem, the cause and the fix.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
would I trust the card? yes I would depending on the problem, the cause and the fix.

You are a brave man I guess. If Android cannot format it, Windows cannot format it and CHKDSK cannot format it I would never use it again. But then again if none of those can format it for future use, it's never going to be used again anyway. :cool:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
You are a brave man I guess. If Android cannot format it, Windows cannot format it and CHKDSK cannot format it I would never use it again. But then again if none of those can format it for future use, it's never going to be used again anyway. :cool:

as I already said, it all depends on the actual problem, cause and fix. but that is why you should always have a backup or two for your important files, any drive or cards, even brand new ones can be corrupted and crash at any given moment.

anyway this is all I am going to say about this unless the original poster has more questions. this thread is getting side tracked.

Last edited: