SD card notification

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by PhoenixGTR, Apr 2, 2010.

1. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I set my notification sound to R2D2 (from Soundroid Soundboard) the "initialize SD card"sound becomes a ring; not R2D2 and not the default of"Droid" either. I'm guessing this is because the R2D2 sound is on the SD card and can't be used before it's initialized. Is there any way of setting the SD card sound separately? If it can't be R2D2 I guess I'd like it to say Droid, or at least be able to choose.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure this is what you are looking for

Tap menu, tap settings, tap sounds and display,scroll down and tap SD card notifications.

Mike

3. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and no; that just gives you the option of turning the notification sound on or off. Maybe those are the only options. What I was wondering was how to change that sound. I'm not crazy about the ring sound it does now, but I don't want it saying "Droid "for everything either. If I can't choose a separate sound for SD card notification I suppose I'll turn that sound off. It's just that with all the customizing that can apparently be done I thought I'd ask...

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Check the n otification settings an d look to see if you can add ringtone

5. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that if I choose a sound that is among the ones the Droid comes with it will play whatever sound I select for SD card notification, but if I choose a notification sound that is on the SD card, the SD sound defaults to a ring, which, oddly enough, I can't find among the notification sounds.
    Perhaps handcent is the answer. If I understand it correctly, it allows you to choose custom notifications for different events.

6. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    If you set the notification ringtone to the r2d2 and set the SD card notification on then it should sound...when you get a notification in the notification bar is it a ring or r2d2?

7. Tac.css

Tac.css New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try to explain this as best as I can, the ring you hear, is the default "fall back" ringtone/notification sound that you hear when the system can't access your default, like when your SDCard is inaccessible. A way to solve this is to have root, if you do not, and you want to know how to root, search, plenty of topics on it. Then, using a program like root explorer you can place the r2d2 sound you use in the /system/media/audio/notifications folder and then be able to select it from the notification alert menu. Reason that works is the sound will be stored on the droids internal memory instead of the sdcard, therefore, it should always be accessible to the system.

8. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Tac.css. I've read a lot here about root and I'm still not sure I know what it is. I guess I need "Root For Dummies"; hey, I've only had my Droid a week or so.
    I'm guessing I'll probably get root eventually--once I'm sure I'll know what I'm doing.
    In the meantime you have confirmed that the issue is what I thought it was. I may try Handcent anyway; a lot of people seem to like it, and if it allows you to choose different notifications for different events I could leave the default notification as one that is on the phone and set R2D2 for SMS, etc. Except if you have to go in individually in Handcent and set different notification sounds for each SMS contact individually it might be a PITA.
    I'm a n00b and I know it, which is why I'm proceeding with caution...

9. Tac.css

Tac.css New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Root is really nothing more then having administration privileges over your phone. Rooting itself is not very hard, honestly, if you are still running 2.0.1 you could download DMUpdater and root in minutes. Even then, if you head over to the development section on alldroid and read up on some stuff there, you could find a way to root 2.1 if you accepted the OTA update. I can't really think of a negative thing about root, you are truly able to customize your phone at that point, plus, have access to some very neat apps that would not be possible without rooting.

10. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2.01. I was wondering if I should wait for 2.1 to root or not. I don't quite understand all the terminology yet (like OTA)--like I said, I'm a n00b. I've already come across a few of the apps in the market that need root. As I said, I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I do it. I don't want to frak up my phone!
    If you root, what happens when the regular updates happen?
    Thanks for your help and patience.

11. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Ratings:
    +32

12. Tac.css

Tac.css New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't root in 2.1 as of now, but you can install a rooted version of 2.1. Right now, if you were to root in 2.0.1, not disable the OTA update, and then receive the Over The Air update to 2.1, it would erase root.

When you "root" your phone, you do not necessarily change or modify anything. I almost want to say its impossible to mess up your phone by rooting. Like I said, all root really does, is allows you first of all change anything, now you can mess up your phone by just going around and deleting random system files, since obviously now you can. But, as long as you know what you are doing, ie. following a tutorial, you would be fine. Second, is it would allow apps ( those that specifically state that they need root ) to run with SU, also known as Substitute User, or Super User. Pretty much giving those apps the ability to modify system files.

If I were you, I'd install the 2.1 update that already includes root. I could guide you through the process if you wish, if you do, pm me an aim or a gtalk account I could add, it would be a lot easier then going through the forums.

13. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, my bad; didn't have my Droid on and forgot; I did accept the OTA update. It's 2.1 now. So I guess I have to wait to root.
    In the meantime, I can read up on it and make sure I understand; it involves flashing the ROM? I've no idea how this is done; so far all the stuff I've read assumes the reader knows what it's talking about, and I don't.
    I don't mind waiting. There are a lot of things I want to understand about the Droid as is first.
    Anyway, Tac.css, thanks for all your help, and I probably will take you up on that offer to guide me through it once there is an idiot-proof way to root 2.1 (I'm used to "rooting" Windows, but Droid is different territory...). I have yet to set up Google Talk, and it's been ages since I've used AIM, so I may have to re-do that too if I can't find my old account info. Those things are on my Droid to-do list, as well as possibly installing Meebo. I'll PM you, or you can PM me when it's possible to root in 2.1.
    BTW, where's the tutorial at? Or will there be a new one for rooting in 2.1 anyway?

14. Tac.css

Tac.css New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sent PM.

10chars.

Search tags for this page
play sound for sd card notifications
rooted droid x2 sd notification disable

sd card notification

sd card notifications droid

what are sd card notifications