1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

sd card not mounting in recovery

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by koolcid, Dec 31, 2010.

1. koolcid

koolcid New Member

My droid 1 has done this ever since I rooted. Every time it boots into recovery and I try to do something, it tells be my sd card can not be mounted then clockwork recovery crashes and reboots, then if I hold x immediately after it crashes it works just fine. I have also tried sprecovery and it does the same thing without the crash, also, I have tried formating the sd card, wiping everything, and flashing the .sbf used to root... same problem everytime. So I Have gave up on rom manager and have to install everything manually. It is so annoying and takes so long... does anybody have any ideas?

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Have you tried any other SD card, just to rule out your current one? I have never had that problem ...
  3. koolcid

koolcid New Member

Thanks for the reply chevy,

No I was gonna do that as a last resort... I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to fix this problem...
    And its just in recovery it always mounts when I boot normally... do you have any other suggestions?

4. lepa71

lepa71 New Member

I had problem to mount SD card when I had winamp installed. It had a setting auto mount or something.
  5. mobile_sensei

mobile_sensei Team Liberty Theme Developer Premium Member

I'm having the same exact problem! I'm running SS 4.95.....brand new sd card, that isn't the problem. I use clockwork recovery
  6. mobile_sensei

SD Card

I'm having the same problem. SS 4.95/ clockwork recovery, brand new sd card.
    :blackdroid::heart::motdroidvert::icon_ banana:dancedroid
  7. mobile_sensei

Fixed

Ok, I figured my problem out... I was rebooting into recovery, instead of powering the phone off, & letting it cycle the sd card... "safe to remove". Power on + holding x, bingo, no problem!! :blackdroid: :heart: :motdroidvert:
  8. jenniffer

jenniffer New Member

Delkin Card Recovery

I have never experienced such problem. This problem may be raised due to repeated use of SD memory card. Any memory card have limited life span of 10,000 times write/erase. If you are using this memory card for more than 10,000 times then it is better to replace it with brand new memory card. I hope your problem will be solved quickly.

You can get more information on Delkin Card Recovery | Delkin Photo Recovery | Delkin card photo recovery | Deleted Delkin card photo recovery
  9. koolcid

koolcid New Member

Thanks for the input, but my phone has always done this... I guess I have to just suck it up and try a new sd card :(
  10. nornevrder

nornevrder New Member

My phone will do the samething. I would go into rom mngr and flash spr then back to cwthen I will be able to go a on my way. One thing I do notice is that when I do a back up on nandroid while backing up it says backing up SD card- no ext SD found-skipping SD backup however, I have never had a problem restoring.weird

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App
  11. bchem

bchem New Member

Same exact problem for me, but I just let it cycle one time and hold the x immediately and then it works just fine. Was extremely frustrating at first, but I've kinda made peace with it at this point. Would love to know why it happens though...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  12. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

That happened with a friend's Droid when I rooted it for her. It was the card that came with the phone. I forget the brand, but it was not the same as the one I got. SPRecovery could mount the card once (I was able to make a backup), but then the first attempt to install SS failed and put the phone in a boot loop. Then, recovery said it couldn't read the card anymore. Backed up the contents of the card, reformatted it, copied files back over again, same result. I was afraid the phone was bricked. But finally, I just put my own SDCard in her phone, and was able to install the ROM successfully, as well as make a new backup.

There was never any problem with her SD card during normal use with the stock ROM, or with SS after. Just recovery mode.

So yes, some SD cards just have that problem, for some reason, since I've seen identical cases just like this one. Seems the only solution is to get a different card.
  13. goldeagle42

goldeagle42 New Member

My sd card mounting problem went away when I flashed CWM 3. I went back to 2.5.0.1 and the problem didn't continue. Try flashing sprecovery in rom manager then re flashing CWM 2.5.0.1. At least for me the problem was CWM and not the sd card. Hope that helps.
  14. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I've had this issue with CW for months and months. Here's my tips:
    The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.
  15. goldeagle42

goldeagle42 New Member

I found if you try to mount the sdcard in clockwork before you did anything else was the best indicator if things would work. If it mounts then it will work well and if it fails to mount it will reboot and occasionally it takes more then 1 reboot. I started using that test after I wiped a semi buggy rom to flash another then it restarted and continued to do so the next 10ish times :icon_eek:
  16. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

I've had this same problem since day one. Except even when I manually boot into recovery whether it be from the "reboot into recovery" button or from a power off then "x + power" it wont mount the sd card until recovery locks up and I have to hit X + power again and then it will mount. Multiple roms, 4 different sd card (all different classes and sizes) multiple sbf reflash attempts and it still does it. Ive gotten use to it over the past 6 months. Im guessing its the phone its self. Never EVER been able to install anything through rom manager because of this.

Usual the recovery will be up for maybe 30 seconds, long enough to "install from sd card" and have it say unable to mount sd card then freeze and reboot. It is a total pain. I would send it in for replacement but im afraid ill get a DROID 2 which I absolutely do not want.

Same method I use! lol And yeah, its a REALLY BIG pain when it wont mount after the first retry.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
Search tags for this page

android recovery failed to mount xoom

cannot mount sdcard in recovery mode on s3
cwm says unable to mount e
cwm shows unable to mount sd card

during recovery mode shiwing failed to mount sdcard ins5830i

error menu recovery samsung failed to mount sd card

failed to mount sd card xoom

how to mount sd card in recovery
motorola recovery mode failed to mount /sd card

mount 2 sd