Sd Card Not being Recognized

steveo52

Reaction score
I'm using the USB cable to connect to my laptop. When looking under disk management the phone is recognized as a drive, but the message I get back indicates I need to insert a media card. I thought maybe the card that came with phone could be defective, so I had an 8 gig card from my Storm and inserted it in the Droid. Still not being recognized. I even formatted the card, still no luck! Anyone else have this happen or anyone have any advice?

Thanks

fegarem

Reaction score
I'm using the USB cable to connect to my laptop. When looking under disk management the phone is recognized as a drive, but the message I get back indicates I need to insert a media card. I thought maybe the card that came with phone could be defective, so I had an 8 gig card from my Storm and inserted it in the Droid. Still not being recognized. I even formatted the card, still no luck! Anyone else have this happen or anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Did you mount it?

Menu => Notifications => tap on USB connected, and mount SD card. If that doesn't work, try a different USB port.

Jason

Reaction score
When you plug it in it should notify you the usb is plugged in on your phone. Then on your phone you open up the Notification and mount the it. I think that should work

adam8ch

Reaction score
go to the notification bar, click the USB notification, and mount the sd card from your droid.

bodean

Reaction score
I don't like the DOUBLE STEP having to mount. Guess that is what feature I miss from my WM phone. Just hook it up to usb, and bam, computer recognizes it....don't have to mount/unmount.

OP
S

steveo52

Reaction score

Thanks

Did you mount it?

Menu => Notifications => tap on USB connected, and mount SD card. If that doesn't work, try a different USB port.

DUH!!! thanks got it!! :icon_ poke:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like the DOUBLE STEP having to mount. Guess that is what feature I miss from my WM phone. Just hook it up to usb, and bam, computer recognizes it....don't have to mount/unmount.

Welcome to linux coding. While i do agree that I would love to just plug the phone in and be on my way, I deal with linux a good bit anyways, so the extra step just comes natural most of the times.

macarthu

Reaction score
Check the cable

My Droid was not giving me the prompt to mount the sd card, and it was not recognizing a usb connection except for charging. I changed to another cable, and it worked fine.

JDS537

Reaction score
I am new to the Driod as I purchased it on Monday. So far, everything has gone very well.
However as I tried to mount the SD card, I find this feature does not work. I went to Android.com and found a forum there and searched on "SD card mount" and found a string there. I copied this possible solution that seems to work for some people, but not for me, but thought I'd pass it along:

After a solid month of frustration, I found this solution as a temporary work around
(HP Pavilion DV5-1017NR Vista 64-bit). If you remove the driver and then mount, it
will work. What I do is:

1. Enable USB Debugging in Settings/Applications.
2. Connect Droid to USB port on PC/Laptop.
3. Disable the device "Motorola A855 USB Device" in device manager under disk drives.
4. Mount the SD Card on the phone using the pull down notification.
5. Enable the device "Motorola A855 USB Device" in device manager.

The SD card will be listed in My Computer as the next available drive, in my case F:/
It has worked numerous times, and I can drag and drop music and video, etc.
This is not as big a hassle as not having it work at all! Hopefully a fix will be
found.

Hopefully, this will help some of you who are experiencing this problem and maybe someone will come up with additional solution that may work.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One pro for this approach is that you can connect the Droid to your PC to charge it yet retain usage of files on the SD card. The Droid can't access anything on the card while it's mounted.

If you don't like it have you looked to see if there options that control this behavior (auto mount)? Or an app to achieve this?

JDS537

Reaction score
I found an app (free) called MountUSB. It works in terms of mounting the SD card, but I still can't access.
When I click on drive "F", I get a dialog box telling me to insert a disk in drive "F", which is what I get no matter what I try.

JDS537

Reaction score
I finally got conneced! It wouldn't connect to my Vista 64 bit laptop no matter what I did.
I went back the Verizon store where I bought it and they were successful every time using Vista 32 bit.
I came back home and tried it on my little netbook running XP and it works fine!!
My guess is it doesn't work to well on a 64 bit sustem.
Hope this is helpfull to those having problems connecting to a PC.

solielj

Reaction score
I have found that any 3rd party hardware does not work well, if at all, with the Droid. If you aren't using the cable or the car charger that it came with then you won't get anything to work.