SD card errors that can't be fixed?

BigRussDaGOD

Reaction score
after my FAT32 format I am no longer having an error message when the phone is plugged in via USB cable...

so my problem has been solved. using Win7 Pro 64bit

-=Jason=-

it will be back. this i promise you.

B-Man

Reaction score
...<Snip> you need a program called gparted to format a 16 gb sd card to ntfs. hope that helps. its retarded that you can not do that with win 7. and why should we have to spend money on a sd card adapter when we just spent up to 200 bucks, maybe more for some or you, on a moto droid. this should be added in a OS update as an option to format to ntfs. im gonna pass the word to verizon...<Snip>

Let's assume your Droid shows up as Drive F: in Windows.

Open a command prompt. Enter the following command:

convert f: /fs:ntfs

After about 45 seconds or so, your card will be converted to the NTFS file system. You don't have to remove your data to do this but be warned - it is a one way street. You can't convert back to FAT32 without formatting the card in Windows. Doing that will destroy your data...

Note that this will work on hard drives, flash cards, etc.

Good luck...

wiltony

Reaction score
SNOWMAN, I was going to post the same thing.
remove the MICRO SD card from the phone and put it in a SD card adapter and format that way to NTSF.

on another note I am having this same problem on Win7 I was coping music to the DROID and some thing went wrong my droid screen went black, windows explorer stopped responding. I had to pull the battery off the droid in order to get it working again.

hrm.... to reformat or not to reformat that is the question..
now if I do reformat should I do a FAT32 or NTSF?

-=Jason=-

I had the EXACT same problem. When re-mouting the SD card, windows 7 gave the "there might be a problem with some files...do you want to scan it for errors" message. I replied yes and my laptop BLUE SCREENED omg haven't seen a real blue screen in a while.

If I don't click scan, it appears I can freely copy back and forth from the card. I still get the error every time I mount, however, so I'm going to reformat the card.

wiltony

Reaction score
Used internal SD reformat and all is well. Didn't go for the NTFS thing, nor did I try to reformat the card via windows while mounted. Dunno what originally jacked things up, but it was while I was copying over MP3's on my computer. Perhaps my machine tried to sleep or something (it happened while unattended).

snowman

Reaction score
Flomaster The Droid as most all portable devices need to be fromated Fat 32, or it will not see the card

destinydmm

Reaction score
When you get the scan error, it is usually because something was transfering to/from the phone but got "stuck." So this error and option to scan comes up. But when you scan it unmounts the card.

Best thing to do is to take the card out of the phone put it in an SD Card adapter the insert into card reader. You will get the same option to scan (I usually check both boxes), tell it to scan and it will go through the process of fixing the error and VOILA!! Your card is good as new no re-formatting required.

Hope this helps if it hasn't been said already (its to early to read all the posts)

Tegamal

Reaction score
When you get the scan error, it is usually because something was transfering to/from the phone but got "stuck." So this error and option to scan comes up. But when you scan it unmounts the card.

Best thing to do is to take the card out of the phone put it in an SD Card adapter the insert into card reader. You will get the same option to scan (I usually check both boxes), tell it to scan and it will go through the process of fixing the error and VOILA!! Your card is good as new no re-formatting required.

Hope this helps if it hasn't been said already (its to early to read all the posts)
I tried this, but my PC will not read the card. The light will stay lit (usually, it'll flicker as it reads the card). Not sure if my PC will read the SDHC or not (PC is maybe 3 years old). Tried a Transflash USB adapter I have lying around with the same results.

Mikejl

Reaction score
I've fixed this same problem by simply copying all the files onto my Windows 7 computer, deleting all files on the SDCard and then copying them back. This will generally fix the problem if the issue is with a file or record corruption.

If it is a bad sector on the disk it will need to be formatted to mark the bad spot so it won't be written to in the future.

Mike