SD card errors that can't be fixed?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
So, after spending far too much time playing Pokemon emulators (I know, I know...), somehow it seems my SD card has errors on it, and will no longer read my game save. In reality, it's probably a blessing in disguise, but it would be nice not to lose 21 hours of gameplay.

I plug my Droid into my computer, and I get the popup saying that there might be a problem with some files or folders on the card, and that I should scan it for errors. I click on "Scan and Fix," and get two checkbox options: Automatically Fix File System Errors, and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. No matter what combination of those two I choose, once I hit "start," it doesn't do anything. The progress bar there doesn't move. That box then closes, and then I see that my card is unmounting on my Droid. And then I'm back to square one.

Any ideas? Again, it's probably a blessing in disguise, and a sign for me to put down the Droid and go outside more, but it would be nice to get that gamesave working again if at all possible. I tried it in Visual Boy Advance on my computer, and had no luck.

triptych

Reaction score
having the same issue here, and its quite annoying.

i found a solution, i think. Windows vista and seven prefer NTFS format, while the SD card is FAT32. With Fat32, you also cannot copy a file larger than 4 gigs to the card.

I'm going to re-format the SD card as NTFS and see if it-
A- Fixes both of these issues and...
B- Will still be readable by the droid

I will post my results

triptych

Reaction score
ok quick update...
tried right clicking the drive in explorer and then clicked format. This ejected the device immediately.

Tried using CMD -
convert c: /fs:ntfs-
also, this ejected it immediatly. It also told me that "Convert is not available for RAW drives"

Any info on this would be much appreciated. all i want to do is copy an ISO image to take to a friend, and because its 5.4 gigs, it won't copy to the card because it's FAT32.
i REALLY do not want to have to split my files up to transfer them.

BigRussDaGOD

Reaction score
im having the same issue. i got a new laptop with windows 7 for xmas. my old pc ran XP. had no problem copying music movies etc. to my sd card and it recognized everything. when i tried to copy music folders over from windows 7, it does not recognize the folders or mp3 files i copy over. i know they are there cause when i check my sd card with astromm the folders and files are there. both msuic ive downloaded and cds that i ripped with windows media player. i also get the scan for errors window when i plug my phone in to the laptop. ive been thinking about formating my sd card as well, but before i do that im gonna do a little more reserch.

triptych

Reaction score
im having the same issue. i got a new laptop with windows 7 for xmas. my old pc ran XP. had no problem copying music movies etc. to my sd card and it recognized everything. when i tried to copy music folders over from windows 7, it does not recognize the folders or mp3 files i copy over. i know they are there cause when i check my sd card with astromm the folders and files are there. both msuic ive downloaded and cds that i ripped with windows media player. i also get the scan for errors window when i plug my phone in to the laptop. ive been thinking about formating my sd card as well, but before i do that im gonna do a little more reserch.
yes does anyone know if the droid will read the SD card if it is formatted to NTFS?
also, is there a way to reformat the card from a computer while it's still in the phone using the USB cable? my next step is to buy a converter sleeve for the card and put it directly into my laptop. Maybe then it will reformat properly without ejecting?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why not format the car in the Droid?

triptych

Reaction score
Why not format the car in the Droid?
I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant card....

using both of the ways i know how to format a drive, it immediatly ejected it from the computer while the card was in the droid. This was explained in my second post in this thread.

If you meant format the card to NTFS using android OS VIA the DROID, well i don't know if that can be done.

BigRussDaGOD

Reaction score
is it even possible to format a fat32 16gb sd card to ntfs??? i dont think it is possible.

id rather not format the card if i dont have to cause id have to copy all my pics to the pc, format then recopy 15 gb worth of music, movies, pics, roms etc back to the sd card and thats a process in itself. but if then thats the only way i will be able to caopy files from my windows 7 laptop with out problems. so be it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
is it even possible to format a fat32 16gb sd card to ntfs??? i dont think it is possible.

You can in your PC format it to NTFS
but the Droid will only format FAT32....

OP
sc4fpse

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Ugh, what the ****...

I removed all the contents of my microSD card. Copied them to my harddrive. I right click on the card's drive, and select format. Says there's no drive. I look at my phone, and it's unmounting itself.

WTF?!

Gah. Great. I can't even fix the errors on my card. What in the world?

triptych

Reaction score

You can in your PC format it to NTFS
but the Droid will only format FAT32....

Do you know how to do this? every time i try the SD card is ejected from the PC and mounted back into the phone.
Will the droid be able to read it as an NTFS format?

triptych

Reaction score
Ugh, what the ****...

I removed all the contents of my microSD card. Copied them to my harddrive. I right click on the card's drive, and select format. Says there's no drive. I look at my phone, and it's unmounting itself.

WTF?!

Gah. Great. I can't even fix the errors on my card. What in the world?

i know right??? WTF

OP
sc4fpse

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Alright, reformatted using the option in the phone's settings. Totally forgot about that. :)

Now I'm in the process of copying everything back over. Only 2.5 gigs (including a movie), but man, it's going slow. Not even halfway done yet. Are transfer speeds of 2-2.5 MB/sec normal? >.>

Will report back when the copying is finished. :|

edit: Well, no more errors on my SD card. However, the game save won't load. I suppose that's par for the course...

Last edited:

triptych

Reaction score
Alright, reformatted using the option in the phone's settings. Totally forgot about that. :)

Now I'm in the process of copying everything back over. Only 2.5 gigs (including a movie), but man, it's going slow. Not even halfway done yet. Are transfer speeds of 2-2.5 MB/sec normal? >.>

Will report back when the copying is finished. :|

edit: Well, no more errors on my SD card. However, the game save won't load. I suppose that's par for the course...

Do you know if it formatted the card as FAT32 or NTFS? If it remains FAT32 i think we will still have these issues.