SD CARD Encrypting issues?

kheenmachine

Reaction score
It has to a be a bug. Since this morning After removing my exchange account, removing encryption, rebooting, reformatting the card , rebooting and re adding my exchange account i havent gotten the notification to encrypt the card. I asked the admin here and our server does not require it either.

BillHogue

Reaction score
I just submitted a support ticket with HTC. I've never had to deal with mobile phone support. I'll post back what I find.

kheenmachine

Reaction score
so i actually had my admin check and encryption was enabled. So he removed all my phones associated to my account, i re added the exchange account and it worked for one day. I now have that message telling me to encrypt my sd card. Has HTC gotten back to you yet Bill?

JonnyOneNut

Reaction score
It has to a be a bug. Since this morning After removing my exchange account, removing encryption, rebooting, reformatting the card , rebooting and re adding my exchange account i havent gotten the notification to encrypt the card. I asked the admin here and our server does not require it either.
My boss showed me that 'require encryption' was not enabled, but I'm having the same problem as well. Sounds like a bug to me..

kheenmachine

Reaction score
so i called in to report and they kept telling me to hard reset which i have done and doesnt work. I then asked if anyone has called in about this issue and they said no. So they obviously ignoring this or totally incapable.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
so i called in to report and they kept telling me to hard reset which i have done and doesnt work. I then asked if anyone has called in about this issue and they said no. So they obviously ignoring this or totally incapable.

Listen, after encrypting my Razr, even after removing it and doing a hard reset, the phone was never "right" again. It seems that even after removing it, there are still some encrypted files on there somewhere that won't let you format the SD card or anything. And if it does that to the SD card, I am sure it messes up the internal SD card as well. It may be a bug or glitch, but I don't think it is limited to the Rezound. One of the reasons I returned my Razr for the Rezound was because the phone never quite worked right after the encryption. After removing the email account, removing the encryption and doing a factory reset on the phone, any time I rebooted the phone, 50% of the time I could not access the SD card. It would reboot and say "checking SD card for errors" and it would just stay that way for hours. I could not unmount it, I could not format it, it was like the card was not there. Only a reboot would fix it, and even then, I had a 50/50 shot of that, so sometimes it took multiple reboots.

I put the SD card into my desktop and tried to format it from there, and it couldn't. If the phone did that to the SD card, then it could very well do it to the internal storage and create all sorts of problems as you install apps to that.

My only recourse at that point was to exchange the phone, and made sure I never used the encryption again.

kheenmachine

Reaction score
thats great if it works but my problem is even with the SD Card policy unchecked the phone still thinks the server is requiring that policy. So i have to accept it otherwise i dont get any mail.

kheenmachine

Reaction score
so here its HTC's response to me after a few conversations

Thank you for the information.

after I emailed you back yesterday, I went to our escalation department with this issue as it is a new phone. They are now aware of the issue and are looking into it so sending the phone in for repairs at this time is not feasable.

As for providing you with a key, unfortunately, we do not have one. Nor do we support or warranty any third party apps. As soon as we have a fix, you will get a notification on your device.

I do apologize, for this inconvenience. I would like to thank you for your patience and perseverance throughout the troubleshooting steps.

JonnyOneNut

Reaction score
thanks for getting this escalated to HTC!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
The way to fix the problem is to reformat the Phone Storage. Once you do this everything works as it should.

maximum

Reaction score
The new GN requires encryption and also said the camera would be disabled. I returned it as it would be useless to not have a camera.

The newer Android OS is including corporate email security so they can take government and corporate accounts away from Blackberry phones.

However, this is a good thing to add to this OS but it is only good if corporations issued the phone. Otherwise you ruin your personal phone.

Correct me, but I think 2.3.4 was the last OS that did not have this encryption included.

As of now Galaxy N and S, Razr, Rezound, and Bionic all require encryption if the server asks and some even if it doesn't.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
F

fortune730

Reaction score
Thats not the case. Its a big the camera will work if you reformat the phone storage. I have the nexus and it requires password but doest require the sd encryption. Thats just an HTC thing.

maximum

Reaction score
Thats not the case. Its a big the camera will work if you reformat the phone storage. I have the nexus and it requires password but doest require the sd encryption. Thats just an HTC thing.

If you remember a few quotes up your server may not require it. In order for my corporate account to work the Nexus told me exactly what it was going to do such as, expiring password, encryption, pin, disable the camera and a few others.

Depending on your company, mine will, if you try to bypass encryption they can and will wipe the phone and remove the device from the account. Don't know how big your company is but the big ones won't play with your trick. Because the server reads the phone state when it logs in and that is why I personally returned the Nexus.

When my company issues the new smartphones next quarter, notice I didn't say Blackberry, they can encrypt that one all they want.

The whole reason behind this, Google, is to get corporation accounts to use Android smartphones.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

ddclark777

Reaction score
Corporate Sync causing SD card issues

So, this issue has been driving me mad for a couple of weeks now and Verizon can't figure out what's going on. I've spoken to tech support and taken the phone(s) in to several different VZ stores. All they would do is have a "new" phone sent to me (the phone actually wasn't new, but certified like new because i didn't notice my problem until after my 14 days were up... WHAT?). Anyway, I just figured out last night that the issue was specifically associated with my setting up my corporate email account. As soon as I set up my account using the Corporate Sync app, it would encrypt my SD card, meaning I can't see it (it's greyed out), format it, or (un)mount it. Thank you to all of you who have posted here. Now, I know I'm not the only one!

Here's how I "fixed" my problem... first of all, this will only work if your work does not require SSL. Anyhow, during setup, I uncheck SSL and then when the message pops up telling me about encryption, I simply hit the home key. This makes it seem as though you are not completing your setup, which is partly true. What you'll find is that your account is indeed set up and you can access it through your email tab. Also, if you go to your menu/settings/location & security/data encryption, you can turn encryption off. I don't know the downside of this, but it's worked for me so far.

The other option is downloading Touchdown, which is an easier alternative.