SD card damaged?!? help!!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by sarah0963, Oct 30, 2010.

1. sarah0963

sarah0963 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all if im posting this in the wrong place im sorry.

When I turned my phone on This morning I got a SD card damaged error i have pulled the battery and took the card out and put it back in and nothing has helped. I don't want to reformat my card and lose all my pictures and videos. Im not sure why its saying g this all of a sudden I didn't download anything or take any pictures at all yesterday I just plugged my phone up to charge before bed like I always do. Why would my card suddenly become damaged??????? I thought hopefully I could connect my phone to my laptop and try to transfer my files from The card to my PC but it wont let me :( I don't know what to do. Why is my phone acting like this out of the blue?? Are all of my pictures lost?? :(

Please help! Thanks :(
  2. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you view your pics in your gallery? If so, I recommend downloading Lookout Mobile and backing your pictures up. That why when you get a new SD card you can restore them to your phone through that

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. sarah0963

sarah0963 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No it says that my card is unmounted or not present when I go to my gallery. I tried putting a older card in there and it worked Just fine. I just don't understand why mine would suddenly become damaged. Another weird thing That happened was I plugged my phone up to charge before I went to bed and when I woke up it was dead it hadn't charged at all it was plugged n and everything and now my SD card is damaged I don't know if those two have anything to do with each other or not. Im just so pissed off and confused. I had over 700 pictures on my card I have had this phone Since feb with no problems until now. I have a feeling I lost everything that was on it.
  4. titans1

titans1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would suggest buying an adapter and plugging the card directly into your computer and see what you can retrieve. I would copy the whole card to your laptop. Make a folder named android and put everything in there. Then i would format the sd card and reinstal it to your phone and see what happens. If it access it this time then transfer your files back on. If not then you will need to go buy a new card.
  5. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could try. Are you rooted and have flashed any ROMs recently? Sometimes that can cause an SD card to go bad
  6. sarah0963

sarah0963 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No im not rooted im not even sure what that means really I just read alot of people talking about it. But thanks for your replys I will try the adapter and c what happens. But do u think I need to replace my phone to keep this from happening again? Or do these things just happen sometimes?
  7. yamaredman

yamaredman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Somewhat related question...

I've backed up the important files on my SD card to my computer and I'd like to format my SD card... are there any downsides to this? Will it affect the phones operation? I plan on resetting my phone back to factory settings so I'm not concerned about losing apps/widgets/settings.
  8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Electronics can and do fail. Replacing the phone won't help if it's the card itself that failed.

As stated above, your best bet is to try the card in a card reader on your PC to see if you can get your data off.

As always, back it up if it's important regardless of where it's stored. Backups are especially important on mobile devices since they are easily lost/stolen/damaged.

This really should be another thread. It may be about SD cards but it's an entirely different topic.

Formatting won't hurt your phone. If you got everything you need off the card you can format it.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  9. Shortyj13

Shortyj13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same exact problem happened to me. Phone couldn't read the card all day, and it kept saying it was trying to prepare the card when i would restart the phone. So I took it to a Verizon store and they basically said the card was fried and I would need another. They let me use their adapter and try to put it into their PC to see if it was the phone or the card, but the PC wouldn't read it either.

They were ordering me a refurbished droid just in case it was something with the phone, and new 16g SD card. It was going to be 3 days until it arrived so I bought a 2g SD card (which came with a SD reader) to hold me over until the new stuff arrived. I took the adapter home, plugged it into my PC and crossed my fingers. Luckily, and I mean luckily, it opened all the files on the card, which I immediately copy everything onto my desktop. Ten minutes later I plugged my adapter back into my PC to make sure I didn't miss anything, and it couldn't recognize the card. Tried it 10 more times and it would never read the card again. I admit, I got extremely lucky the one time because I had hundereds of pictures and videos of my daughter and puppy on there. Hope you get as lucky as I did.
  10. adrenalinemotion

adrenalinemotion Member

Ratings:
    +1
    had this problem with my X, tried lots of times to get the phone and computer to read the card but i eventually just gave up and now consider it a lost cause. i lost all my pictures, everything.
  11. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my phone and card for close to a year and I've never formatted it or had any issues

12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Check the card in a reader. If the card won't read in said reader it's dead and anything you haven't backed up to your PC is gone. There is no way to recover.
  13. sarah0963

sarah0963 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ended up going into my Verizon store and the Guy there was able to retrieve all my data off of the card and he uploaded it onto a new card for me. I got extremely lucky I thought for sure I lost everything. The first thing I did when I left the store was download lookout and backed up all my files. Thank you all for the replys and advice.
  14. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looks like I was wrong. Must be a trick at the store. :) Congratulations!
  15. Dj Carpenter

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem:)

Search tags for this page
damaged sd card droid charge

droid charge damaged sd card

get pictures of my damaged sd droid card
i plugged my droid razor to my laptop and lost all my pictur
motorola razr m sd card fried