SD card crashing

war88

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster, but not first time Droid user. So far this forum has been a good resource in figuring out some of the bugs with my Razr M (which I like a lot more than my previous Droid X) but I'm having a problem that I haven't seen anybody else post about.

I use a 32 GB SD card as external storage for pictures, videos, and music. My phone is my mp3 player and usually my music source when I'm in my car, so it's important that it works good. Over the last couple of days, my SD card has crashed several times when playing mp3 files. I've not had a problem with it crashing if I already have a playlist of files set up and I just let them play and turn off the screen. Where I'm having a problem is if I'm accessing different songs every few seconds, eventually the SD card crashes and none of my files on my SD card can be displayed.

This has happened in 2 different music playing apps under the same conditions noted above (constantly switching to a new file). Those 2 apps are PowerAmp and Bubble UPnP. I haven't tried it in Google PlayMusic yet because I can't stand that app, but that will be next. It may be an app problem - but when this happens, none of my files (pictures included) can be displayed. I go to my files app and all of my files are there, but none of them can be opened or displayed (pictures included) from any app on the phone. The first time it happened, I powered off the phone and then turned it on and it fixed the problem. The second time it happened I tried to unmount the SD card and then remount it. When I remounted it without removing the card, it said I had a blank or nonformatted SD card (can't remember the exact wording). So it took the card out and re-inserted it and it mounted fine. The third time it happened, I turned the phone screen off and let it sit for half an hour. I came back to it and my files were suddenly working fine again.

Any advice is appreciated. I have used the PowerAmp app before on my Droid X and had this problem maybe once or twice in 2 years of use. I consider that an anomaly, whereas with this phone it seems to be easily duplicated over and over.

OP
W

war88

Reaction score
You did not say what class your SD card was. But according to this thread it needs to be class 4.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/146e982598

which quotes
"Wrong.... ended up calling motorola and class 4 recommended class."
Thanks, first time I've ever heard of microSD cards coming in different classes. I believe it is a class 10 or class 6 (I bought this one which says class 10 on the package but class 6 on BestBuy's website). I bought the one above since it was the "ultra" version and for a few more bucks claimed to be faster and better. Maybe that was a mistake.

Then again, we have some people who appear to have purchased the same card as I and reported good results (https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e25e57fac0). Although my results were great as well for a while until I discovered this. It's a bit annoying to have Motorola say "we only tested certain classes and sizes" and leave it up to trial and error of their customers. I'm glad to have found that other site for support as well.

Halbertweber

Reaction score
I have been having the exact same issues as stated above, but I do have a class 4 microsd card. In addition, the card will randomly in mount itself, and then I have to remove my case, take the card out, put the card back in, and replace my case. It's incredibly annoying, and, while I like everything else about this phone, if I had known I would have this issue, I would have saved up to buy an S3 with more internal memory. Also, this is my 2nd Razr M ( the microphone stopped working on the first), and I've had this issue with both, and with different microsd cards of different brands and capacities.

OP
W

war88

Reaction score
I've been good to go ever since I switched to a class 4. I also switched away from SanDisk and went with a different brand since almost every single person who had a problem was with SanDisk cards.

xmguy

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue too. But mine also is Class 4 32GB SanDisk. In my RAZR Maxx HD the card would randomly unmount saying the card was removed unexpectedly. Even saying what the OP said. No data was on the card. So I used my Bionic and moved the files off, since the Maxx HD wouldn't read the card right. Reformatted the card and put the files back on. Knock on wood its been alright. Also around the same time my music player PlayerPro was crashing. I had to uninstall and reinstall. That may have been a connection. But reformatting and putting the files back on did it for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums