SD card cleanup after multiple rom installs

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ColinScatt, Jul 2, 2010.

1. ColinScatt

ColinScatt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. Any tips or sites with instructions on cleaning up your ssd card after going through a bunch of different roms? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. srroos

srroos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, nothing on your SD Card is critical to the running of the phone unless you have apps moved onto the SD card. Most directories on the SD Card are created by apps, and it should be fairly easy to see which apps use which directories. Even then, most of them are cache folders and would get recreated if they were removed. Make a backup of everything if you are concerned and then go to town!

The one directory to leave alone would probably by clockworkmod or nandroid to preserve any backups you may have on the phone.

3. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +13
    I usually just delete old backups from clockwork that i don't want any more because each of my backups are like 350 mbs so if you delete like 3 you get like a gig of storage back and i delete what's in the downloads folder in clockwork because it can always just be downloaded again from rom manager if you want it

4. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either format the sd or delete the following... .android_secure, data, LOST.DIR, tmp. That should be everything. If any important info is in there, it will come back after a reboot. I only do this when going from big updates like 2.1 to 2.2. I also do this when I'm going from leak to leak, but not when a rom is the same base. Like if I went from the FRF84B leak to BB V.4, which is based off of the FRF84B leak. If it's a big jump like 2.1 to 2.2 just format the sd for good measure. A lot of people will disagree with everything I just said but I am cautious and this method has worked out for me flawlessly.

Search tags for this page

delete .android secure

how to clean roms off sd card