SD backups lost after Liberty install

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
I installed Liberty on my Droid x yesterday, wanted to go back to stock. Went to bootstrap, it said backup file not found (it also said Liberty 1.5.zip was not found). Any idea if I did something wrong or has this been heard before? (droid nubie).
Luckly I sent backup files to my computer also, so I have another resource for the files.
On my computer I renamed the backup file (but did not put .zip), is it still safe to flash it back to the sd card, then restore or should I add .zip to the renamed file?
Thanks for any help available for this question.
Rick

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I installed Liberty on my Droid x yesterday, wanted to go back to stock. Went to bootstrap, it said backup file not found (it also said Liberty 1.5.zip was not found). Any idea if I did something wrong or has this been heard before? (droid nubie).
Luckly I sent backup files to my computer also, so I have another resource for the files.
On my computer I renamed the backup file (but did not put .zip), is it still safe to flash it back to the sd card, then restore or should I add .zip to the renamed file?
Thanks for any help available for this question.
Rick

Bootstrapper is the app that lets you get Clockwork Recovery on your phone - right? Are you saying that when you when you open bootstrap you can not get into clockwork? Or, are you saying that when you open clockwork there are no backups listed as being available for restore?

OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
Yes bootstrapper gets me into clockworks, when there it says no file found.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are they still in the clockworkmod folder on your sd card?

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
SD card has no files, though folder exists it is empty.. figure I will have to refllash,butt unsure about adding. Zip to renamed folder

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What type of file was it before you renamed it to a zip?

SD card has no files, though folder exists it is empty.. figure I will have to refllash,butt unsure about adding. Zip to renamed folder

DroidForums Junkie!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Using one of the File Manager apps (Root Explorer, Astro, etc.) if you open Sdcard/Clockworkmod/Backup/ there are no files there??

If not, it sounds like you will have to reinstall your rom. I would re-download the rom and not try to rename any files. Just transfer the file to the sdcard and then use Clockwork (install from sdcard) to reinstall it. Do a Backup prior to reinstalling anything. Then after the rom has booted up, go back to Clockwork and make a backup again.

Good luck.

OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
Droid Does!!:
After I did my bootstrapper (clockworks?) backup, I went to my sd card (through my PC) and just copied the file to a hold folder on my PC. I just changed the date description of my backup file to "FactorySettingsBackup"; no file type was specified.

BayouFlyFisher:
Using "Linda" file manager; SD card shows only 119 M used. When going to backup folder; I see application, clicking that shows an empty folder.
Using windows explorer to view my factory original backup file (copied from my sd card before load of liberty), I see this:

1)FactoryBackupBootstrap (this is what I renamed the folder after copying to my PC from my sd card), File type is folder file.

2)Opening that shows:
.android_secure (file type is image files)-3 KB
cache (file type is image files)-1,846 KB
data (file type is image files)-172,681 KB
nandroid.md5 (file type is MD5 file)- 1KB
system (file type is image files)-228,765 KB

Again using "linda", looking at my sd card shows:
logs (it's empty)
LOST.DIR (it's empty)
roottools shows MyBackup, that opens to a folder called apps (it's empty), along with a folder called package.list this shows several items most open but get message: application has stopped unexpectedly.
ect.ect.ect (everything appears empty or stopped).
The only thing I see worth anything is a ziped file called LibertyX-1.5.zip, and thats fine but how do I get back to factory settings, should I zip "FactoryBackupBootstrap" and flash it to the sd card?
Really don't want to brick this but I want to get back to factory settings.

Thanks Folks, really appreciate all the help/advice you are providing.

Rick

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
BayouFlyFisher:

See:
[FONT=&quot]maderschramm[/FONT]: maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip as a responce. Please keep in mind I'm a nubie. What does this mean?

Droid Does:

See +1 so I assume you agree with BayouFlyFisher. To answer your response question, I copied the backup, I did not move it.

Still not sure what "[FONT=&quot]maderschramm[/FONT]: maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip" means or where I would go to get it (assuming it's a file). Nix on the zipping my window explorer folder saying ""FactorySettingsBackup"?

Sorry for bothering you folks but I want to play with my phone, but always have a safe home to flash back to.

Again THANKS!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's an sbf file. Basically, it sounds like your safest bet of returning to stock would be to flash it back (no root, no nothing...out of box condition).

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
Good enough; where do I go to get it?

After getting the file should I format my sd card before installing or just delete everything left on my sd before using clockworks to reinstall

OP
M

Mdwannabe

Reaction score
Oh, and is this going to get me back to the newest version of the factory rom or should I call#228 to get back up to date?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip
None are responsible for your phone but you.

After a bit of work I've created an update.zip for you guys that want a fresh install of 2.3.340 without sbfing.

This is the FULL, OTA 2.3.340 - contains radio, kernel, and all other updates, even those EXCLUDED by the 2.3.340 system only sbf.

What that means is that if you have 2.3.15, 2.3.151, or 2.3.320 you're one update.zip away from the OTA 2.3.340
smile.png

This is useful in many ways:

• You want stock .340 but didn't create a nandroid backup
  • Can't OTA (modded phone)
  • Get ready for an OTA
  • Remove Root
  • Add bloat back
  • Re-Odex
  • Your phone is acting weird on the update
  • Something broke
  • Fresh ROM install
  • You don't want to flash 5 update.zips or sbf to update your phone
  • etc.
This will format your system data (helps prevents bootloops - not 100%) and system (in case a rom put some apps in the /system/app) partitions and also changes the boot image to the stock moto M (to fix the Tranquility boot logo - something even an SBF won't fix).

As always, make a backup and I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone.

Download the file here and place it on your sdcard:

Instructions:

1. Using the Droid X Bootstrapper make a backup. (more information here)
  2. Browse (using volume buttons) to "install zip from sdcard" and select it with the camera button.
  3. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  4. Select "maderstcok340.zip"
  5. Confirm the install.
  6. Be patient, wait for the install to finish.
  7. Reboot the Droid X. DO NOTHING ELSE IN CLOCKWORKMOD!!!!!!!
  8. Activate the phone with VZW (more instructions below).
If you attempt to create a backup or flash a rom post maderstcok installation you're going to have a paperweight. This seems to be because maderstcok removes root and the clockworkmod recovery area, so it doesn't like you playing around in there. Re-root and reinstall the bootstrapper, then create a backup or flash a new rom, DON'T DO IT BEFORE REBOOTING THE DX AFTER ISNTALL.

Formatting Data and Cache is optional; however, if you want a really clean install do so. If you factory reset you'll be forced to activate the phone automatically while if you don't you'll have to follow the quick and dirty activation instructions below - the choice is ultimately yours.

EDIT: coming from ANY non-blur based ROM and doing Maderstcok is guaranteed to bootloop due to mismatch in framework without a data/cache wipe

Quick and dirty instructions for activation:

1. Dial *228
  2. Press 1
  3. Enter last 4 of primary acct holder's SSN
  4. Wait - more in depth instructions in a link further down.

This can take some time, especially on the two system installs and the radio install. Don't battery pull unless you want a brick.

The file won't flash properly if you have a botched download - this seems to be caused by the size of the file. Please check your file size before flashing:

Size: 284.7 MB (298481300 bytes)
MD5: ce7122280eafad4a39ba7fefeb764bf5

My free filehosters sometimes .zip the .zip - it looks like maderstcok340.zip.zip
Just unzip once and check the md5 to make sure it checks out - if not, redownload. Don't try to flash the .zip.zip without unzipping it once!

You'll have to activate your phone again after the install. See this for additional help.

If you encounter any problems during the flashing process (e.g. bootloop) follow standard ROM installation troubleshooting (i.e. battery pull, factory reset, etc.)

A lot of this stuff is from Team Black Hat - I did pull some of my own phone files too - but if you're looking to donate, please hit them up. Without them we'd be up a creek. Tell 'em I sent ya
wink.png

One final note - z4root seems to work flawlessly after flashing this file. Just thought I'd throw that in there...

Enjoy!

EDIT: Currently number 1 google search result for 2.3.340 update.zip - thanks to everyone for your support!

I've had multiple requests for a donate link to me, if you feel obligated, buy me a pack of smokes (or contribute to the cancer fund ;p):

http://tinyurl.com/maderschramm