Scumm for Droid

osyrus42

Reaction score
So I might be the only one interested in this (although I bet I'm not :)), but I sent an email to the dev of ScummVM for android the other day about a potential working port for the Droid. Here is his reply to my question about Scumm on Droid:

"Oh, it's definitely in the works. I've rewritten most of the graphics routines to use the more portable (amongst Android versions) OpenGLES routines rather than the Android internal 2D API. I need to do a few more similar things before it will work out of the box across Android 2.0 and recent cyanogenmod versions."
- Gus

No release date, but I can't wait to play all the old point and click classics on my droid. Am I the only one?

M

Matth3w

No, you aren't. Monkey Island is one of the best games of all time.

OP
osyrus42

osyrus42

Reaction score
Just played around with it on an eris (Scumm still works on 1.6), and now I can't wait. Maybe someday we can even get a working DOSBOX!
Thought I'd switch this thread into a "Greatest Games" we'd love to play with Scumm or DosBox. Here are a few of mine:

All the Old Sierra Quest series (Space, King's, Quest for Glory)
Ultima (7 being my favorite)
Civ2 or 3 would be very cool
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (classic)

Just a few from me, I'd love to hear what everyone else would like to play.

M

Matth3w

Wow, if we could play King's Quest or Quest for Glory I would never put this phone down.

Q

qoncept

There are some old BBS door games I'd like to see come back, but be more accessible on a cell phone than telnet.

OP
osyrus42

osyrus42

Reaction score
There are some old BBS door games I'd like to see come back, but be more accessible on a cell phone than telnet.

I didn't even think of those......that would be cool. I remember one called "Space Trader" or something that I used to spend WAY too many hours playing. The original World of Warcraft, lol.

OP
osyrus42

osyrus42

Reaction score
Before the internet, there were BBS systems (Bulletin Board Systems). Think of forums like this but not interconnected with the WWW. At one point people figured out they could make multiplayer games on these things. MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons) were the very first MMOGs, and there were a lot of turn based strategy games you could play with other people too. The original Ultima Online was basically a BBS game with a better GUI.

These games on a device that is always connected (like the Droid) WOULD be pretty cool. Might even be able to run the server end on a linux box and client app on all our droids.

edit - I should point out that MUDs progressed through the internet age, while door games did not. They were strictly BBS only if I remember correctly

M

Matth3w

Interesting. I didn't get into huge amounts of computer games until about 1994 and then it was things like Kings Quest, or Monkey Island.

Colety

Reaction score
BBS Games

Anyone want to do Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD) I am buying that one!

OP
osyrus42

osyrus42

Reaction score

Ha, wow. I just wiki'd it. Looks like someone took over development in 2009, they are working on a linux port AND a web paged based port. Maybe when we get flash we'll be able to just go to a webpage to play this game.

M

Matth3w

There was a game I wouldn't mind playing...I forget what it was called. Webpage based only...something with the word kingdom maybe? You have to say how many farms you want to build, how many troops to train etc...and it takes X hours to actually do, it's not instant...have to build alliances and whatnot...anyone know that?

Q

qoncept

From what I hear, these Mob Wars games are all basically the exact same thing as LORD, but I've never played Mob Wars. The best door games were Barren Realms Elite (BRE) and Trade Wars 2002. There are a lot of people still playing Trade Wars on telnet boards. Most of them were just a way to pass time. A few were good.

What about a Risk clone, with servers that match players up? I've always thought a Risk-by-email game would be fun, about the pace of a chess by (snail) mail.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before the internet, there were BBS systems (Bulletin Board Systems).

These games on a device that is always connected (like the Droid) WOULD be pretty cool. Might even be able to run the server end on a linux box and client app on all our droids.

edit - I should point out that MUDs progressed through the internet age, while door games did not. They were strictly BBS only if I remember correctly

Ahh, memories. Back in the 90's I ran a 17 phone line system on Galacticom's Major BBS system. While there was a "door" computer connected via null modem serial cable with a bunch of games on it only one person at a time could play there. That computer was a 286 PC too!

The BBS had multiplayer versions of some of the door games available to it with L.O.R.D. being on of the more popular. A web version came about eventually too, that ran on BBS's as the web part of the internet took off. Lunatix Online was another door type game that took off on the web and it still is up at Welcome to Lunatix Online: Global Insanity Crisis . Trade Wars was another big one I recall.

The other thing worth mentioning about door games is they had a limited number of things you could do each day and then you were done for the day. 10 minutes of gameplay and then you'd wait in line to be the first in before others got into the single version games.

MotoDroid

Reaction score

L.O.R.D. was the best BBS Turn based game ever! I ran a bulletin board in eastern Ohio called "The Dragons Lair" we had LORD running and it was by far the most popular game on the BBS! Loved it!:)